Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

This was taken on the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan's UP. I'll post the story right under this post. This was a blended shot, one of the sky, one for the foreground, and I took a little brightness out of the sun area with a third shot (keeping it as bright as possible). Just layer masks and brush strokes for the blend, nothin' fancy.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

I’m always surprised at some of the locations where I setup a tripod. This was on the Keweenaw Peninsula in the northern most reaches of Michigan – at a roadside picnic area!

I kid you not, I stopped by to fix a little problem that was generated from too much sweet tea at lunch and then took a brief walk down to the lakeshore. At first it was a bit of a yawn fest, but curiosity got the better of me so I wandered over the rocks and down the beach. It wasn’t long before I discovered the spot you see in the photo – and hey, the sun was even going to be in a perfect spot just before it slipped below the horizon! Hmm…

So, I left for more scouting with the idea of coming back later in the day to attempt a sunset shot.

A few hours later I was sitting in my truck at the picnic area trying to decide what to do. It looked like the sky wasn’t going to cooperate and besides, it was COLD out. We’re talking temps hovering around 40 degrees, a wicked wind kicking up, and the truck rocking with every gust. I didn’t want to head down and freeze for nothing, and besides, I was pretty sure I’d end up at least partially soaked in the process.

The internal debate if I should go or not ended abruptly about 30 minutes before sunset as conditions started to hint that they just might come together for a nice photo. I was still unsure about it, but I knew I’d hate myself if I didn’t at least try.

So, I scurried down, a brisk wind biting my face, only to find the water washing MUCH higher up the rocks than when I was scouting just a few hours before.

Arrgh.

High waves and water made getting back to the spot I had found a much trickier proposition - at least if I wanted to keep from getting my lower half doused in icy lake water. I opted for a strategy of waiting between waves and dashing like a dork between slick wet rocks and sharp outcroppings.

I arrived at the location patting myself on the back for staying dry.

I quickly setup my tripod and framed the shot – and not a moment too soon. The sky was starting to light up and I snapped away furiously, trying to capture just the right wave.

Then it happend, about 10 minutes into it this monster washed up!

And yes, if it looks like I got wet in the process, I did.

Soaked to my knee in fact.

I promise you, nothing gets your attention like frigid lake water in 40 degree weather with a nearly gale force wind blowing off the lake!

I was cold and soaked but to me the price paid was totally worth it – at least getting back dry wasn’t a challenge anymore – I just went right though the waves!

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:05 AM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

When I pulled up this pic the first thing that came to mind was "WOW". Great shot.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:16 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

I really like it.

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

You paid the price Steve but I think you got at least what you paid for and probably more! Love the wave action and all the reflected colors.

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Steve,
This is very very well done. The only critique i would have is the clouds are a little too sharp.
love the comp, the light. beautiful work.

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:32 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Marvelous image, I really like it.

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:33 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Powerful image! Looks pretty treacherous where you were standing!

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:40 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Hey Steve,

What a cool shot you got here. To capture some decent wave splashes off a lake, albeit a very big lake, but still it's not easy. Shooting lakes always seem so tame compared to being able to shoot the ocean on a regular basis. So it was nice to see your waves here, very nicely captured. Good job on staying dry until this one, I am sure a video of you dashing back and forth could make a viral hit!

Jim

Mar 09, 2013 at 01:52 PM
ice182008

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Great shot!

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:09 PM
802walker
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Steve, stunning photo. Can you share shot details? Was an ND used? Shutter speed? The motion captured in the waves is perfect.

One of the best photos I've seen of the UP. Well done!

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

So sweet!!!

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:58 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Terrific shot.Great story.
Harsha

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Thanks for the kind words everyone

@Sunny Sra - Thanks for the feedback on the clouds. I was debating if they might be a touch too sharp too, I might make a minor tweak down the road.

@treebeard - Although it would make a better story if it were really dangerous, the area where I was standing wasn't too bad at all - just cold and wet lol!

@Jim - I know - I've got to start doing some video of this stuff! Never think about it till it's too late. And I agree - lakes are sometimes tricky - ocean waves always seem more "full" to me.

@802walker - Sure, no problem. No ND filter - it's a blended shot. The shutter speed for this one was 1/6th of a second. Although, depending on the speed of the waves that actually has the potential of being too fast or slow. I chimp and adjust as needed

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:16 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Beautiful photo Steve! I really like everything about it, the colors, the movement, the come, Great Work! I also like how the wet spot on the rocks draw your eye back in to the shot. Thanks for sharing!

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Wow, print this big on metal!
I think you could sell a few of this one.

Love the whole image, comp, timing, light, colors.
I think you got more than you paid for with this.

HINT: I would start considering wearing a wetsuit bottom on days like this!

Thanks for posting & letting us live vicariously through this experience

Dan

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:19 PM
fingerda
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Beautiful photo! I went to college in Michigan (Ann Arbor) but never made it to the Upper Pennensula.

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:26 PM
eyphotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

one word.. AWESOMENESS

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:32 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

terrific shot!

Mar 12, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Keweenaw Sunset Breakers

Thanks for the nice comments

@Dan - A wetsuit (at least the pants) would be a really great idea! I was thinking of one for kayaking anyway. Funny thing was I actually had a pair of pull over boots that would have helped quite a bit - and they were in the truck! Totally forgot I had 'em until I got home and unpacked....

Mar 12, 2013 at 01:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.