Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · Just developed my first roll of film ever
  
 
abraxsis
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


I know this is old hat to some, or even foreign territory to others but I just had to tell someone that I just devloped my first ever roll of black and white. It was a roll of Tmax 100 and I used a Patterson Super System 4 tank with Ilfosol-3 (1-9), plain water stop bath, and Ilford Rapid Fixer. Turned out great so far, I'll have to get them scanned in tomorrow. It's early in the game, but I might just be hooked! I finally understand what people have always talked about with the darkroom being the heart/art of photography.


Mar 09, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Tom In Arizona
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


Hi Abraxsis...

Congratulations on your first experience with film. I can still remember my first involvement with the darkroom when I started back in the late 1960's. Your next step should be setting up to print those negatives with an enlarger and some trays so you can watch your images come up under the safelight. Back in the old days we had a saying that you're not a photographer until you've p**sed in the darkroom sink

I've never heard a digital version of that old saying!

Tom in Arizona



Mar 09, 2013 at 01:06 AM
mirkoc
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


congrats! we are waiting for the end result. :-)


Mar 09, 2013 at 08:24 AM
ken.vs.ryu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


Awesome. Now you're ready to bulk load film and get rolls for under $2 each.


Mar 09, 2013 at 01:06 PM
pawlowski6132
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


+1 for Tom's comments. Any one who's anybody knows that printing is 75% of the "magic" in the analog process. THATS is where all your creativity and artistic endeavors will come into play.

Up until you capture the image, everything is the same as digital. Then developing the film is really just a chore (if you don't feel that way now, you will.) In the darkroom you crop, choose papers, developers, tone, doge/burn, determine contrast, etc.



Mar 09, 2013 at 04:00 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


Well, I will disagree here. If there is lots of room, time and money for a darkroom, great, but if not, it can add a burden on the process which isn't easily overcome. Due to space and time constraints, I find myself developing film and scanning, and this is also great.


Mar 09, 2013 at 04:31 PM
pawlowski6132
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


carstenw wrote:
Well, I will disagree here. If there is lots of room, time and money for a darkroom, great, but if not, it can add a burden on the process which isn't easily overcome. Due to space and time constraints, I find myself developing film and scanning, and this is also great.


You can disagree but you'd be wrong. What I said is true regardless of you perceived limitations. Not to mention your admitted LIMITED experience.



Mar 09, 2013 at 04:53 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


I'd be wrong, huh Have you ever heard about opinions. Sounds like you have one or two too many And who said I have limited experience? I have worked in darkrooms for years at different points in my life. I think you need to give your head a shake and stop making unwarranted assumptions. All I wrote is that *right now* I don't have room or time for a darkroom, don't start imagining other implications.

By the way, it sounds like you never really got fully into the film process. There is a lot you can do in the capture and development of the film, before you even reach the darkroom. Maybe read Ansel Adams' books before you write more opinions here.

Sheesh.



Mar 09, 2013 at 05:09 PM
pawlowski6132
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


Sorry. I didn't realize you knew everything. Thanx.


Mar 09, 2013 at 05:32 PM
kosmoskatten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


Hey guys lighten up and don't let the fumes in the dark room get to you.

Depending on type of film I would advice taking extra care with the developing of the negatives - you will benefit from it when you start printing.

Haven't sucked in the fumes in a decade or so but it could be a lot of fun.



Mar 09, 2013 at 05:36 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


pawlowski6132 wrote:
Sorry. I didn't realize you knew everything. Thanx.


I don't know everything, by far. But go back and read your own second post again, will you?



Mar 09, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Toni Pukarinen
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


I also developed my very first film a couple of weeks ago. Had a blast!

Here are the results, scanned: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonipukarinen/sets/72157632752141040/



Mar 09, 2013 at 05:50 PM
abraxsis
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


I would have some scans up quickly, but I sold my film scanner to a friend who more interested in film than I was at the time. Now I guess I need to find myself another one. From my research, the Epson V500 would be a reasonable one to pick up.


Mar 09, 2013 at 07:13 PM
pawlowski6132
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


carstenw wrote:
I don't know everything, by far. But go back and read your own second post again, will you?


I did. I'll try to put it another way.

First, I'm not stating my opinion. It's a fact. And it's supported by Adams, Weston, Picker, Caponigro and others. If you're a student of b/w history and ever been in the darkroom (which you say you have) it should be abundantly clear that one has 1000% more creative options in the darkroom than they do in exposing a negative.

Adams called the negative the written score and he would interpret it in his darkroom.

How could you even argue with that?



Mar 09, 2013 at 07:22 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


pawlowski6132 wrote:
you crop, choose papers, developers, tone, doge/burn, determine contrast, etc.


Kinda sounds like you're talking about digital.
These are things I do routinely without having been in the (analog) darkroom myself since 1980's.
There are also some esoteric individuals that are rather astute at being creative with their developing chemistry/processes.

Granted the OP has yet to taste the creative liberties (and technical frustrations) of printing in an analog darkroom. But one thing about the digital darkroom ... it has an "undo button" (or two ) and you aren't under the same "time sensitivity" that you are when printing "live". The two will never be exactly equivalent, but boy it sure would have been nice to learn on digital before struggling with trial & error in the darkroom in "real time". Being much more portable, far fewer fumes and less mess is kinda nice too.

I don't see myself setting up a full blown darkroom anytime soon. But, shooting film, and developing negs to be scanned for processing/finishing/printing in the digital darkroom has an appeal, as it opens up a new realm of camera formats. I've got a Graflex that has been waiting for me to do just that very thing as well as a Bronica that's getting dusty.

Congrats on the entry into film ... Bring on the pics.




Mar 09, 2013 at 08:36 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


pawlowski6132 wrote:
I did. I'll try to put it another way.

First, I'm not stating my opinion. It's a fact. And it's supported by Adams, Weston, Picker, Caponigro and others. If you're a student of b/w history and ever been in the darkroom (which you say you have) it should be abundantly clear that one has 1000% more creative options in the darkroom than they do in exposing a negative.

Adams called the negative the written score and he would interpret it in his darkroom.

How could you even argue with that?


Well, this is beginning to sound like a conversation, so I will go along.

There are no facts in this thread, just opinion. You can call on the big names to support your opinion, but you should know that there are just as many voices (if not more) on the other side of the fence. For one, Henri Cartier-Bresson never did any development of his own stuff at all, to my knowledge, and he was perhaps the best photographer ever, or certainly one of them.

So the opinions span the range from do nothing, to do something, to do everything. While I love Ansel Adams' work, I also think that he was a bit limited. He was an amazing landscape photographer, but mediocre-to-good at most other things. He was also a darkroom fanatic, so of course you would hear words like that out of his mouth. That doesn't mean he was right, just that this was his opinion. Facts are things in physics books.

My personal opinion is that I would love to have a darkroom, and to do all my film stuff from end-to-end, but time and space don't leave me this option at the moment, and I am quite happy to develop my own film, but to scan and do the rest on the computer. This takes much less room and time, and computers have at least as much scope for doing good work as a pure analog process does. Sure, from the time you scan, the look will be different, but not necessarily worse, just different. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. Personally, I prefer medium format film, but digital 135 format. I do shoot 35mm film from time to time, but find the quality too low in general.

As to my recommendation, it was just that setting up a full darkroom takes time and space and dedication, and if you are not guaranteed to have all of these, then an attempt is just as likely to end in frustration and the cancellation of the whole project, so why even try. For me, the primary enjoyment in the film process is the shooting, not the development or the darkroom work, although I do enjoy all three. Again: opinion.

My request from you is that in the future you recognise that there are all kinds of opinions out there, and no facts, not here. The next time, tell me your opinion, but don't tell me that I am wrong, and don't speak of facts.



Mar 09, 2013 at 09:03 PM
redisburning
Offline
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


pawlowski6132 wrote:
First, I'm not stating my opinion. It's a fact. And it's supported by Adams, Weston, Picker, Caponigro and others.


you appear to be confused on the nature of facts and opinions.

what you posted is an opinion. it is not incontrovertible. your statement about magic is obviously not fact as magic is, in fact, not real. your comments about artistic control in the work flow are easily disproved by opening a tiff of a scan in photoshop.

we can end this here with you either admitting you were both wrong and a jackass to carsten or I can start to conjecture about your person that you would act in such a way. your choice.



Mar 09, 2013 at 09:05 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just developed my first roll of film ever




I think it isn't necessary.



Mar 09, 2013 at 09:07 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


+1 @ it is an opinion that is shared with Adams, etc.

I can also quote Adams @ score & composition as well, or I can tell you what his son shared with me regarding Adams' views (opinion) regarding digital photography (hint: he was all for it). But quoting Adams doesn't make anything a fact ... it means you know what Adams opinion was. It is a fact that Adams spent a lot of time & effort over the course of his career in his experimental/development/refinement of his methods & approaches in capture, developing and printing. It is a fact that his processes changed over the years in his quests (evidenced by prints made years apart, although originating from the same negative). Some of this was in concert with the changing chemistry that was available of the day as changes in the industry occurred.

It was Adams opinion that his approach was appropriate for his endeavors to garner full control of the processes involved ... all of them. He is well regarded and extended credence by many for his notable efforts, scientific approach and produced works.

There are some (fact) who love (opinion) the creativity of the darkroom and believe (opinion) it to be the holy grail of photography (opinion) and some (fact) who despise (opinion) its associated consistency challenges as a burden (opinion) that impedes their creativity due to being frustrated by it. They would prefer (opinion) to not have to contend with the burden and its inherent variability. In that regard, the absence of the darkroom burdens can be more liberating to the creativity of capture for some, even if they are then relegated to more standardized processing/finishing/printing by not embracing the darkroom.

Multiple opinions regarding the darkroom processes relevance on creativity exist. When I first was learning how to print in the darkroom, it was my (purist) opinion that Adams was a cheater ... THAT is a FACT. While it may not be a fact that Adams was a cheater, it is a fact that I once held the opinion that Adams was a cheater. Personally, I chose to pour my creativity into capture (chromes) rather than fully embrace the burdens of the darkroom, even if that was counter to what others viewed (opinion) as the mecca for creativity.

Today, I view Adams methods differently than I once did and my opinion of him and his methods has changed. I can choose whether to embrace the darkroom (digital or analog) or camera as the mecca for creativity ... maybe even a little of both.

Bring on the pics.




Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 10:30 PM · View previous versions



Mar 09, 2013 at 09:24 PM
redisburning
Offline
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just developed my first roll of film ever


the sad thing is I agree with the heart of pawlowski's statement but if you come out firing shots like that you shouldn't expect support even from the people who agree with you.

I was lucky enough in college to see a handful of very large prints by Ansel. As important as he was, I just couldn't get into his work and it was actually tiny copies of platinum prints from Kenro Izu in a book which got me interested. so my opinion is that Izu's words are facts and Ansel's are just opinions ok, scratch that, only Araki's words are facts...



Mar 09, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password