New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Troublesome RAW

jb1970
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Troublesome RAW

Hello,

I have been shooting digital for about 7 years and come across a problem not encountered before.

I took some pics earlier today and have been processing the RAW files. One of the files looks fine on the camera (and in zoombrowser preview) but will not process. When I open it in photoshop it's just a block of colour, and in the canon software there is some detail but mostly corrupted. The other files all seem OK. Has anybody else encountered this?

Thank you.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Troublesome RAW

It usually indicates corruption somewhere along the way. Could be:
- Bad memory card
- Bad card reader
- Bad cable
- Bad hard disk
- Malware

It will take some detective work on your part to narrow down the source of the problem. The memory card is a good place to start.

The reason that in some software it looks OK is that that software is reading the small jpeg preview image that is embedded inside the raw file. That part is evidently not corrupted, even though the rest of the raw file apparently is.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:59 PM
jb1970
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Troublesome RAW

Thanks for the information. I will start with the card as it is a fairly new card and this is the first time it has happened.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:47 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.