FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma 30mm f/2.8, 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/1.4

Crossczechfoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigma 30mm f/2.8, 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/1.4

As a previous owner of the 30mm f/1.4 and now the proud papa of the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 (my eyes and fingers are still bleeding) I can honestly say that if Sigma is planning on completely updating their whole line of lenses and their quality keeps getting better the big two better watch out.

I don't have a sharper lens in my bag at the moment than their 35mm f/1.4. It has been put bluntly
"phenominal" in image sharpness wide open and beyond.

I am glad that Sigma has decided to up their game. I remember sending a 30mm f/1.4 into them about 5 years ago and when I called to find out the statis of the repair I felt like I was calling "Peggy" from the Credit card commercials. The person on the phone coverd up the receiver and yelled to someone if they knew where my lens was and if it was still on the shelf.

Needless to say until I started seeing examples of the 85mm f/1.4, I was very hesistant to purchase anything from them for fear of having to worry if anything went wrong. Now between the two lenses from them (85mm f/1.4 also) I can say I am very, very impressed at the quality.

Tamron, Tokina and Sigma are all starting to come out with good quality lenses that are not only equalling but as the consistant reviews of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens proves they are making better lenses than the two big boys.

Ross

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:08 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigma 30mm f/2.8, 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/1.4

Personally, I don't think the new metal skin makes the lens look any better... not that I think my original 30/2.8 is much of a looker either. My girlfriend and I laugh and debate which is an uglier lens, her Pan 20 or my Sig 30... but when it comes to photos, her 20 is her favorite and my 30 is mine... ugly or not.

Yakim Peled wrote:
Much ado about nothing.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigma 30mm f/2.8, 19mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/1.4

My plastic barrel 30/2.8 focuses very quickly... takes a moment to take the shake out, but then it is ready to go. Don't like the flare behaviour, but otherwise it is a very decent optical performer... not up to Oly 45 standards, but still very decent.

U.C. wrote:
The 'old' 30/2.8 and 19/2.8 were already very good optically, especially the 30/2.8. Maybe they also changed the focusing system, because from what I've heard it was very slow.

About the old 30/1.4: center sharpness was excellent, but the borders needed stopping down till diffraction kicked in...

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.