Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

David Frost

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:46 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Sigh. What do you want to actually *do* with it? Canvas? Rolls? 17"? 24"? 44?

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:59 AM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

2K will set you up nicely with either 17" Epson printer plus a choice of paper...

Before you decide, compare ink costs for the kind of volume you foresee. For higher volume use you will save a noticeable amount on the better printer.......

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:53 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

After my experience with Epson printers (R800), would not give them another penny!

The quality of output is outstanding but the cost of inks and the ease of head clogging makes the machine, in my experience, prohibitively expensive. I have had two R800 printers - both clogged readily, both have now been thrown into the local rubbish dump! With the pumping of VERY expensive ink through the head in attempts of unclogging, the cost per print is very high.

See the printers in the FM Review, Printers.

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

The only Epson I would recommend is the 3880, but for $2k you should look seriously at the Canon ipf6400.

Sal

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:55 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

After my experience with Epson printers (R800), would not give them another penny!

That was a long time ago.....

I have a 4880 which has been excellent. The ink is not cheap, but costs considerably less per print that small printers like the R800....

Mar 12, 2013 at 07:09 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Howard's reply is where the discussion needs to start. On what materials will you print, in what size, and how frequently will the machine be allowed to be turned off for extended periods? Also your $2000 - is that original purchase price, or what you need to spend in the first year of use?

The choice will be a 17" desktop 3880 or, less likely, a 4900.

John Caldwell

Mar 12, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

I agree with Donald from Sunny Somerset. I have had 4 Epson printers that have all been troublesome due to ink clog issues and other problems that required the return of one unit and the sale of another to a guy who was going to tear it down for parts. Then I bought a Canon 9500 Mark II and I have not had one problem with it. I can go weeks without printing and not have problems. With the Epsons I would have go through hours of nozzle checks, cleanings, ink cartridge changing, etc. Not worth it. If you plan on staying at or below 13x19, check out the new Canon Pro 1. It looks great.

Mar 12, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

I agree that more info is needed to answer this question properly, but I have to throw a wrench into the Epson problem section. I have had a 3880 for 2 years and it has been problem free from day one. I don't print often and have never had clogging issues or wasted ink problems. On the other side of the coin I had a Canon IPF5000 that was a nightmare from day one due to clogging and wasted ink. In the end it will depend on how large and what media along with what your budget is when it's refill time. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

I have had epson's for a number of years with no clog problems that 1 or 2 clean cycles would not fix (2200, R3000). I print a lot more now but have gone months in some cases without problems

Mar 14, 2013 at 03:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

I have an Epson 3800. I usually print for a day or two, then go weeks to months before printing. One episode of deep cleaning needed over the last 4 years or so. Great output.
I guess the interesting thing is the varied experiences reported.
Scott

Mar 14, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Consider why you want Epson in particular. Is there a good reason for ruling out Canon or others ?

Can you afford to wait until a more expensive model is available on super sale ? Sometimes the bigger printers use bigger ink cartridges that are much cheaper per mL.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM
StephenS_CP

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

My impression is that the clogged head problem is something that Epson has resolved. I had the R800 -- had the same problem with needing to clean heads every time I wanted to use it. It ate up a lot of ink.

When the R800 died, I got the R1900. I haven't had a single problem with it other than trouble feeding roll paper, which is probably user error. I print very infrequently. But when I do power it up and print, it has printed cleanly every time. I've had it for about 2 years, I think.

I agree with Howard. The discussion needs to focus on intended use. Not brands, arguing the poster's justification for a brand, and what may be true, but dated, war stories.

For my puroposes, I might have done better getting the R3880 instead of the R1900 -- landsacpe printing on fine art papers. But at the time I needed to replace a dead printer quickly, the R1900 was new, both in my price range and discounted, and getting reviews that indicated it would be satisfactory for my printing intention and didn't have the clogged head problem. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure it is a strong printer for B&W, but good enough for my club's print competitions.

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

I doubt you will find many non-3880 Epson users who would agree that Epson has resolved the clogged head problems.

Sal

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

As noted earlier, I have a 4880, which works well and goes for weeks without printing.
However....several years after I got it, it started to get cloggy. Luckily, there is an authorized repair station in the Chicago area who replaced some parts that keep the heads sealed when the unit is sitting. After that, no problems. Total cost was about $300. To them, it was a common repair. If your printer clogs easily, you might want to investigate whether the head is properly sealed when not in use.....

Sending it to Epson (in Indianapolis, if I remember correctly) would have cost more than the printer cost new no matter what the problem was!

Of course this still doesn't address the primary issue here: If you know, what do you want to print?

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:42 AM
Jack Heckaman
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Primary reason for any clogging issues - no matter what the brand of printer you use - is the directly related to use / humidity. I live in Michigan where the winters are brutal on printers as the building dry out due to forced air furnaces. Even when using a central humidifier on a furnace you only achieve so much as it works only when the furnace is operational. Keeping the humidity level in a printing room stable will lead to very few clogging issues - even when you only print sporadically. Even when I had my 7800 I never had clogging issues but I do maintain the humidity in a room. Ask any pro print retailer and you will find that service calls tend to spike in the winter do to this problem.
I have seen the offerings from Canon and they to are remarkable printers. The output is very close to the epson and should be considered. But remember that ink is ink and if you allow it to sit long enough in a dry environment then you will have issues.

The 4900 from epson is a great printer that will handle large workloads. If you only want to print smaller projects then look at the 3880 or 3000 printers. I have both a 4900 and 9900 and both have been spectacular performers. I do take the time to pull my cartridges and give them a shake weekly to keep the pigments from settling and have a humidifier in my printing room. Simple precautions lead to happy printers.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

sbeme wrote:
I have an Epson 3800. I usually print for a day or two, then go weeks to months before printing. One episode of deep cleaning needed over the last 4 years or so. Great output.
I guess the interesting thing is the varied experiences reported.
Scott

I'm with Scott on this one, my 3800 can go weeks without printing and all I do is a quick nozzle check before printing. Only had to do a deep cleaning once in almost 3 years. Now, on the other hand, my R1800 was a whole nuther story, several clogs in the two years I owned it. the ONLY thing I miss is the roll paper option which is not available on the 3800.

Jo

Mar 18, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Jack Heckaman wrote:
Primary reason for any clogging issues - no matter what the brand of printer you use - is the directly related to use / humidity. I live in Michigan where the winters are brutal on printers as the building dry out due to forced air furnaces. Even when using a central humidifier on a furnace you only achieve so much as it works only when the furnace is operational. Keeping the humidity level in a printing room stable will lead to very few clogging issues - even when you only print sporadically. Even when I had my 7800 I
...Show more

It depends on the design of each specific model. Like most other 3880 users, my printer never clogs. It doesn't clog less, it just doesn't clog. I sometimes go months between printing sessions. I live in Boston and have no humidifier in the printer room. It's bone dry in the winter. I never pull the cartridges or agitate them. Some of the carts have been in the printer for 3 years. I rarely bother with nozzle tests as the printer never clogs. This seems common with this printer. Not so much with other Epson models. Has Epson lost the secrete sauce they put in the 3880??

Sal

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:51 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

Dunno but I'm also in Boston and my 3800 always has a cyan issue if I dont print for a while.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · $2,000...What's A Good Epson Printer To Buy?

howardm4 wrote:
Dunno but I'm also in Boston and my 3800 always has a cyan issue if I dont print for a while.

10 days and not a word from the OP, does it really matter anymore?

Brian A

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password