Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Gimbal head help

Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Gimbal head help

Sorry about my last post. I belived it was a Moongoose head that my reply was directed against, and not a CB head.
I belive the CB Gimbal heads are a lot better and more stable than the Moongoose. Just look at the swing-arm and you will see the difference. On the Moongoose you can't even change the the lens to a lower or higher position. it's stuck in the most low position and you can't slide it up or down. And you also have to pay $ 90 extra to get that swing-arm. On all other brands it's included and also better built.

Mar 12, 2013 at 05:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Gimbal head help

I do not see anything wrong with the CB gimbal head either, in fact, it probably stacks up well against the Wimberley II and Jobu Pro 2.

Furthermore, there is the RRS gimbal head which looks like a quality built gadget, although I have some reservations about the look of the adjustment knobs, the price ($800) and the general layout.

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · Gimbal head help

I have used both wimberley WH100 and WH200. Have also used the Jobu as well as the Opteka GH-1.

I personally prefer the Wimberley over the other two brands. I do not recommend the Opteka if you are trying to save $300! See my latest review on amazon under "Thang" on this horrible product! I would not trust this head with a $10k lens!

I know many have used the Jobu as well. I have used 2 over the years and still prefer the Wimberley for its smooth movement and sturdiness. The Jobu is sturdy but both of my copies (brand new) became sluggish over time.

You can pickup a "used" but "like new" WH200 for about $425 over at the Buy/Sell forum. The Wh100 goes for about $325.

Mar 12, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.5 #4 · Gimbal head help

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
A large ballhead can also hold 600-800 lenses. But how good does it work?
And if they say it can hold ALL lenses I would like to see some of the really huge lenses on it. The ones that are many times as heavy as a 600 or 800 Canon/Nikon lens.

Ball heads are generally not gravitationally stable, unlike Gimbals.

Db

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.5 #5 · Gimbal head help

StillFingerz wrote:
First, Db, just read your post, I'll get back to you with measurements late this afternoon or early evening, I'm stuck horizontal and I won't have access to my gear for most of the day.

Second, I wanted to add some additional info; observations/thoughts, about the CB-LS that might be quite important for anyone considering it's purchase. The CB-LS's weight reduction does come at a price; compromises were made. Given I'll probably never shoot with anything larger then the 400 f5.6L or the f4 DO, the LS seems like the right choice for my needs. However, with the bigger glass; 500mm
...Show more

Jerry,

It looks likes the CB-LS will fill the bill. As you said it does have vertical adjustment for fine balancing. And the convenient setup knob. I recently used the larger CB, did not use the 'drag' knobs and did not disassemble it for travel. So those amenities can be sacrificed for the sake of portability. And as I mentioned the big one seemed that it could handle a lot more weight than my 1DX/500mm setup. The only unknown is your promised measurement.

Db

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · Gimbal head help

Doctorbird wrote:

Db

Right on, and even devices like Markins' new BV-10 or RRS MH-01 share the same fundamental weakness of ballheads.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
bob_wfmc
• •
p.5 #7 · Gimbal head help

My 2 cents -

I was an initial doubter, thinking that I could purchase a knock-off Wimberley Gimbal head for a fraction of the cost. I did so and hated it. Mine was made in India (if memory serves) and was not smooth at all. I compared it to a friends Wimberley (mark I) and the differences were substantial enough that I returned the knock-off and purchased the real deal. Yes it was many times the cost, but the added smoothness really does help when tracking a moving target.

I have to also agree with some of the recent posts here re: gimbal heads vs ball-head like designs. Gimbals, by their very nature, return to "level" if the center of mass of the lens/camera is properly centered with the axis of gimbal rotation. This is such a huge advantage over a ballhead design as they are much more stable and can help if you ever loose your target while panning/tracking. I just let the system return to "level", find a target by sight, and re-acquire a lock on the target of interest.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Vivek
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Gimbal head help

Hmm, very interesting and passionate discussion. I use the Mongoose 3.6a with 600-IS-II and 1D4 with and without TC. The foot I use is the RRS foot using side mounted configuration. In my opinion, the rig balances well and I hardly need any effort to move it in any direction. This includes moving the lens up down or panning it.

The disadvantage is that the lock (especially vertical) could be a problem at times, but nothing that prevents me from using the head.

The advantages of this head includes the light weight compared to the other heads. The weight of the rig adds up if I am walking for several hours during the day as well as during travel.

Am I willing to make this tradeoff - my answer is yes and that may not be the case for everyone.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #9 · Gimbal head help

Doctorbird wrote:

Db

My reply was directed against the Moongoose as I wrote above in my last post. No ball heads are not gravitationally stable. But neither is the sidemounted gimbal heads like Moongoose (in the link) or sidekicks. Only full gimbals with the swing-arm and possibility to adjust the lens on the swing-arm will work with gravity and be perfect balanced. Full Gimbal heads like WimberleyII, some of the Jobu gimbals and the CB will be perfect in balance as an example

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #10 · Gimbal head help

Vivek wrote:
Hmm, very interesting and passionate discussion. I use the Mongoose 3.6a with 600-IS-II and 1D4 with and without TC. The foot I use is the RRS foot using side mounted configuration. In my opinion, the rig balances well and I hardly need any effort to move it in any direction. This includes moving the lens up down or panning it.

The disadvantage is that the lock (especially vertical) could be a problem at times, but nothing that prevents me from using the head.

The advantages of this head includes the light weight compared to the other heads. The weight of
...Show more

Yes I'm sure it works very nice. And it's a huge improvement from using a ballhead. But if you try it on a full Wimberley with a swing-arm that can be adjusted up/down, and the lens mount is beneth the lens. Then I'm sure you will notice a rather big improvement for your combo.
But when you are willing to do the tradeoff to get a little bit less weight. Then it's good for you.

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Vivek
• • • •
p.5 #11 · Gimbal head help

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
Yes I'm sure it works very nice. And it's a huge improvement from using a ballhead. But if you try it on a full Wimberley with a swing-arm that can be adjusted up/down, and the lens mount is beneth the lens. Then I'm sure you will notice a rather big improvement for your combo.
But when you are willing to do the tradeoff to get a little bit less weight. Then it's good for you.

Lasse,

Thanks for your post above.

I have never used the said lens on a ball head and wouldn't ever do it. I just know it would not work. Having said that, I did use it on an older Jobu (I don't remember the model #) and also the Mongoose. Although the Jobu did work slightl better, I picked the Mongoose for the above reasoned trade off, knowing full well its limitation. I also understand it is not working with gravity, but it certainly does work in the field.

-- V

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.5 #12 · Gimbal head help

I have used the Wimberley II and one of the smaller Jobu gimbals. Also one no name Chinese Wimberley copy. The Wimberley II was the best with the most smooth action. Jobu was also good. The Chinese copy was rather stiff and difficult to move

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:08 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.5 #13 · Gimbal head help

I decided to pick up a Wimberley II with a RRS tripod.

My only concern is the weight of the Wimberley when I hike in the back country.

Thanks,

Grant

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · Gimbal head help

Grant, you seem to have aimed for the best. (People also say many good things about the RRS tripods.) That stuff should give you many years of excellent service.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #15 · Gimbal head help

Howdy Db,

The distance from lens plate center to the inside of the swing arm seems to measure 3 and 1/8th inches or 3.125 inches. I called CB Brackets, concerned I may have made a bad decision, they said the lens platform is the same exact platform for both gimbals, they did not reduce weight. So hopefully I measured correctly and both the CB and CB-LS are quite usable.

Seems the CB out sells all others by a huge margin, all those extra goodies must excite
Jerry

Edited on Mar 13, 2013 at 08:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.5 #16 · Gimbal head help

StillFingerz wrote:
Howdy Db,

The distance from lens plate center to the inside of the swing arm seems to measure 3 and 1/8th inches or 3.125 inches. I call CB Brackets, concerned I may a bad decision, they said the lens platform is the same exact platform, they did not reduce weight. So hopefully I measured correctly and both the CB and CB-LS are quite usable.

Seems the CB out sells all others by a huge margin, all those extra goodies must excite
Jerry

Thank you Jerry,

That's very helpful. 0.8 lbs may be significant if one wants to go lighter and smaller, and also to not overwhelm a lightweight Gitzo tripod.

Db

Mar 13, 2013 at 07:52 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #17 · Gimbal head help

Doctorbird wrote:
Thank you Jerry,

That's very helpful. 0.8 lbs may be significant if one wants to go lighter and smaller, and also to not overwhelm a lightweight Gitzo tripod.

Db

If I could use a tripod a CF; Gitzo, RSS, Bogen or other, would probably be my choice, lets hope my home built rig will support what I require. With 40D/gripped, 300f4L IS w1.4 III T/C it balances quite well, found an old nFD 400 f4.5 tucked away in my garage a few weeks back, put a T-90 and 2x on the old beast and all balanced well so this gives me hope that a future 500mm would work as well.

After an interesting chat with one of CB's reps it's even more clear the the LS was the ideal choice for my needs. The rep echoed your thoughts about the extra drag knobs, for my needs they're not really necessary.

As mentioned before it would be cool to have you use/review this LS with your big glass, lets hope that can be soon! I so feel the need to shoot something, 3 months without a trigger in hand is making me itchy...or is that the bed bugs

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password