Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

bobmcg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

I want to move to a lighter tripod set-up than what I have now (Gitzo 3531) and am looking at the Traveler Series 1. The Gitzo rep is telling me that, for my camera set-up (Nikon D3 or Canon 1DsIII with a 14-24 lens), I need the Traveler Series 2. Since one of the Traveler 1 set-ups is rated for 12 pounds, I'm not understanding this. Any help and observations re: the Traveler 1 series would be appreciatd.

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:03 PM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

I used to have a Gitzo 1541T travel tripod and used a Nikon 17-55/2.8 lens with it and it was OK. I don't use Canon stuff but if your 14-24 is f2.8 throughout its range it may have a very big lump of glass on the end that's causing the rep to say this. But that's a ballhead issue too.

The current Gitzo traveler is the 1544T and it sells for $600. You might want to look at the RRS TQC-14 traveler too, much more expensive than the Gitzo but likely to be nearer a Gitzo 2-series than a 1-series in terms of performance.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

I never really liked the Gitzo 1541T tripod. (I have not used the latest version of Gitzo traveller tripods) So I bought the 1541 instead. It's a bit taller but more stable IMO. And I also have the FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441S Rapid when I need a small tripod that fits inside my backpack.
Both those tripods are strong enough to be very stable with your setup. I use the Markins Q3 head on them.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

I also opted for a 1541 over a 1541T for the extra stability, and use a Markins Q3.
My other tripod is a 3541XLS.

If you have 2 tripods, a 3 series and a 1 series makes sense.
For one tripod, a 2 series could make sense.

And if you're Lars, a whole army of tripods makes sense.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:02 AM
bobmcg

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

Mr Joe wrote:
I also opted for a 1541 over a 1541T for the extra stability, and use a Markins Q3.
My other tripod is a 3541XLS.

If you have 2 tripods, a 3 series and a 1 series makes sense.
For one tripod, a 2 series could make sense.

. Thanks for the feedback.

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobmcg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I never really liked the Gitzo 1541T tripod. (I have not used the latest version of Gitzo traveller tripods) So I bought the 1541 instead. It's a bit taller but more stable IMO. And I also have the FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441S Rapid when I need a small tripod that fits inside my backpack.
Both those tripods are strong enough to be very stable with your setup. I use the Markins Q3 head on them.

Lars, just curious, what does the 1541 give you that the Feisol does not? Given the difference in price and the endorsements the Feisol has received, the Feisol seems a no-brainer.

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:59 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

Mr Joe wrote:

So funny! I use a Gitzo 3-series as my regular tripod, but replaced my 1541T with a Benro C2680T. You might want to take a look at the Benro and Feisol travel tripods, they offer very good value.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

bobmcg wrote:
Lars, just curious, what does the 1541 give you that the Feisol does not? Given the difference in price and the endorsements the Feisol has received, the Feisol seems a no-brainer.

I owned the Gitzo Mountaineer 1541 a long time before I bought the Feisol. But I also like to have one travel tripod that folded the legs over the ballhead and got very small. So I could take it inside my backpack and hand luggage when flying with it. That was my reason to buy the Feisol long time after I bought the Gitzo.
Overall the Gitzo is a nicer tripod to use. The legs and leg-locks are a lot more difficult to handle with the Feisol. The last leg set is very stiff to take out also. But otherwise the Feisol is a very nice tripod.
Actually I have a mountaineer 1531 also. that a bought very cheap when the new Gitzo models came out

Mar 08, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

I got 1542T/Markins Q3Tr replacing GT3531S/Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 since I need lighter travel tripod setup now. While I am amazed of Gitzo/Q3 combo craftsmanship, I am little skeptical on legs thinnest section after shooting with much bigger tripod. But I test it soon more proper way while my next vacation. Markins Q3 is small and great head, it holds my 5d3/70-200LII/1.4tc just fine. Very light setup, no bulk at all.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo Traveler Series 1 Experience

bobmcg wrote:
I want to move to a lighter tripod set-up than what I have now (Gitzo 3531) and am looking at the Traveler Series 1. The Gitzo rep is telling me that, for my camera set-up (Nikon D3 or Canon 1DsIII with a 14-24 lens), I need the Traveler Series 2. Since one of the Traveler 1 set-ups is rated for 12 pounds, I'm not understanding this. Any help and observations re: the Traveler 1 series would be appreciatd.

I use a Series 1/RRS BH-25 with my 5D2 and 24-105 and it works great for travel: solid support, feather light and fits in my carry-on with head installed. No problem getting sharp images during exposures of several seconds of waterfalls and rivers. However, my humble experience is you need to stay well below half the weight rating of your tripod and head for smooth operation. Your rig is heavier than mine and I suspect the Gitzo rep isn't merely trying to sell you a more expensive tripod.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password