Archive 2013 · NEX-7n is coming...

snowboarder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · NEX-7n is coming...

zhangyue wrote:
Even fail for RF lens?

I must assume the 7n has some improvements, the sensor is new
and they must have fixed the edges even if only for their own wide lenses.
NEX-9 even if not great with wide lenses, will give me something to play with.
I really like shooting with NEX cameras, for me it's the best camera
for what I need and like.

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · NEX-7n is coming...

snowboarder wrote:
I really like shooting with NEX cameras, for me it's the best camera
for what I need and like.

+1

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:53 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · NEX-7n is coming...

Jeff Kott wrote:
+1

+2.

I used to be adamantly opposed to shooting with a flip LCD and not having a viewfinder. In practice, my image composition is much better. I love the glass available to the NEX.

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:03 PM
_julian_
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · NEX-7n is coming...

Another RF lens shooter here - so I also hope that corner performance can match the 5n or 6.

There are rumors that peaking is improved. I would love it, if sony could make the magnified focusing /peaking activate with a half press of the shutter. this is more ergonomic than clicking and double clicking another button with the thumb which has the secondary affect of interfering with the sense of what's in the frame.

Peaking and magnified focus view would be good candidates for the downloadable apps, since it's quite subjective as to what people prefer.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:21 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · NEX-7n is coming...

I'd rather not hold down a button while I'm focusing or scrolling around - that is fine as it is.

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:22 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · NEX-7n is coming...

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
I'd rather not hold down a button while I'm focusing or scrolling around - that is fine as it is.

agreed, i like the current set up except that i'd like to see framing while i'm zoomed in. also, with AF lenses let me set it up so i can manual focus without zooming in without completely disabling the zoom in feature!!!

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:27 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · NEX-7n is coming...

sebboh wrote:

agreed, i like the current set up except that i'd like to see framing while i'm zoomed in. also, with AF lenses let me set it up so i can manual focus without zooming in without completely disabling the zoom in feature!!!

Yea, that drove me a bit crazy on the NEX and its one of the reasons that I hated using AF lenses on it. I used almost all MF lenses when I owned my 5N.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · NEX-7n is coming...

Ability to toggle peaking on and off without menu diving would be a welcomed addition. I wish I could add this to my custom menu, or assign it to a button/directional key press.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:48 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · NEX-7n is coming...

If it has touchshutter, no AA filter, friends with rangefinder wides then I'll reconsider. And I think I'll wait and compare to the XE-2.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:51 PM
_julian_
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · NEX-7n is coming...

ken.vs.ryu wrote:

I really find it depends on what I am shooting.

If it's a landscape situation and where the shooting action is deliberate and methodical, then yes, changing the mode to zoomed state and maintaining it in order to check center and corner sharpness works well.

In the context of trying to take pictures rapidly or capture a moment - a moving child, cat, or portrait, then the ability to just half press the shutter a button for 1/2 second to get a 9.5x magnified view to confirm or quickly adjust what the peeking is showing me would be very welcome. In faster paced shooting, I find I never use magnification because the process of iterating through the 4.8, 9.5x options with awkward thumb movements is too distracting to the continuity of the process.

Maintaining a non-zoomed border to the zoomed frame would be nice in non-landscape situations also.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:12 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · NEX-7n is coming...

Andrew Gough wrote:
Yes it fails on certain RF lenses. I would wait for the N version. Its like Sony puts out a top NEX that does not do well with certain third party lenses. I suspect that this is to drive their own lens sales, and who can blame them. They then leverage the platform with a "n" version that does very well with those "certain" lenses.

I do not buy the "nefarious corporation" gambit when the far more likely reason is they designed the sensor interface to to work well with lenses they were designing because they had no interest in testing anything else out. Why would they?

Think back to the introduction of the NEX-7 - the Sony lens line up was continually lambasted back then. Deliberately sabotaging the sensor such that a big group of MF lenses would perform worse than on the simpler/cheaper NEX-5N just doesn't make sense, not then, not now.

I'm of the opinion that any compatibility with problematic close back focal length lenses (i.e. symmetrical wide angle M mount rangefinder glass) has been entirely accidental, or coincidental if you prefer. Look at the NEX-7 - sales there were held back due to the problems with some MF glass. I'm sure I'm not the only one that cancelled orders because of those issues and yes I'd have bought some Sony AF lenses too. Instead I went elsewhere to another maker.

Each new camera will need to be checked out. An N after the number is no guarantee that problematic lenses will suddenly be excellent on the new body.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · NEX-7n is coming...

I'm really excited for this new EVF. I was afraid it was just the ECX 331A with this new white dot added brightness nonsense (like the new D7100 with a "1.2m dot" LCD that's actually the same resolution as the 0.9m dot D7000), but I checked the math and it isn't

kj_vogelius wrote:
I really hope that they improve the...proximity detection of the EVF. Pretty much the only thing I dislike with the NEX-7 is that the EVF is hard to use with glasses.

Thank you! I've never seen this mentioned in a review and I was starting to think it was just me!

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · NEX-7n is coming...

michaelwatkins wrote:
and yes I'd have bought some Sony AF lenses too

The fact that you even have to say this exemplifies Sony's (and Canikon's) biggest problem: the obsession with the system.

The NEX-7 which is too expensive for the amateurs the NEX line is mainly targeted at, and purchased mainly by alt glass fans, is the ideal example. Another would be Nikon refusing to flesh out their limited DX lens line.

You're hurting your own sales, guys. The first thing a smart camera maker does (well, the second, the first is designing a camera with interchangeable mounts) is make mounts that are fully compatible with the most popular lenses. Lemme tell you something, the second, the SECOND, Red releases a full frame sensor...(and yes, I'll be buying all the available mounts).

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:32 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · NEX-7n is coming...

Jacob D wrote:
Ability to toggle peaking on and off without menu diving would be a welcomed addition. I wish I could add this to my custom menu, or assign it to a button/directional key press.

One imperfect workaround for this is to tap the exposure comp button, which turns off peaking temporarily.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · NEX-7n is coming...

Thanks for that tip, Al. Someone may have told me that before, now I just have to remember it!

Mar 08, 2013 at 12:06 AM
artur5
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · NEX-7n is coming...

douglasf13 wrote:
I think we can only dream that the NEX-9 would be as good as the 5N with RF wides, let alone the GXR-M. Heck, if the VG-900 is any indication, we'll be lucky if the NEX-9 is as good as the NEX-7 with RF wides.

You're probably right, but dreams are free..
I'm sticking to my NEX7+Speed Booster. It ain't bad as a poor man's mirrorless FF.

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · NEX-7n is coming...

Perhaps you right, but we'll see. Personally, when the 5n somehow seemed to do so much better with RF class compared to the 5, then I began to wonder. The 5n is even slightly better than the 6, and the 7 didn't do well at all. In fact, you have to wonder why Sony would design a product that struggles with their own wide angle lenses...Maybe they finally saw the light.

I guess we'll find out with the 7n won't we.

michaelwatkins wrote:
I do not buy the "nefarious corporation" gambit when the far more likely reason is they designed the sensor interface to to work well with lenses they were designing because they had no interest in testing anything else out. Why would they?

Think back to the introduction of the NEX-7 - the Sony lens line up was continually lambasted back then. Deliberately sabotaging the sensor such that a big group of MF lenses would perform worse than on the simpler/cheaper NEX-5N just doesn't make sense, not then, not now.

I'm of the opinion that any compatibility with problematic close back focal
...Show more

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:13 PM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · NEX-7n is coming...

snowboarder wrote:
I'm gonna upgrade, anything even slightly better than NEX-7 will be an improvement...
I regret getting the 7, even my 28 R is not good on it... And no touchscreen s@cks.
So even using it for macro is not great as I'm so used to touchscreen for MF.
I'm definitely gonna get the 7n. And the 9 too

I'm very happy with my NEX-7, and my Contax 28 works great with it. I don't really miss anything significant, so the only worthwhile upgrade for me would be a similar camera with a bigger sensor.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · NEX-7n is coming...

briantho wrote:
I'm very happy with my NEX-7, and my Contax 28 works great with it. I don't really miss anything significant, so the only worthwhile upgrade for me would be a similar camera with a bigger sensor.

I agree with you, except if Sony has improved the EVF in a significant manner, that will be hard to pass up.

Mar 08, 2013 at 07:13 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · NEX-7n is coming...

Jeff Kott wrote:
I agree with you, except if Sony has improved the EVF in a significant manner, that will be hard to pass up.

+1

Mar 08, 2013 at 07:15 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.