New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Archive 2013 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

http://leicarumors.com/2013/03/06/first-leica-camera-test-results-published-at-dxomark.aspx/

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Leica-M9-M9-P-and-M-E-Type-220-Ahead-of-the-new-Leica-M-we-round-up-the-DxOMark-Scores-of-its-predecessors

http://leicarumors.com/2013/03/06/first-leica-camera-test-results-published-at-dxomark.aspx/leica_m9_m9-p_m-e_dxomark_test_results/

Edited on Mar 07, 2013 at 10:37 AM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Wow. That's bested in every metric by both the OM-D and the Panasonic GH3 (though not by a huge margin). Not to mention every APS-C mirrorless from the past year or two.

I'd expect a $7,000 full frame camera that is brand new to at least be able to best a $999 camera with a sensor 1/4 the area. Why Leica doesn't contract out to Sony or someone who knows how to make a sensor, I just don't know. Heck, the original Canon 1Ds has better noise scores, and it's over a decade old!

I mean, I think that in terms of usable image quality, it's fine. It'll certainly be capable of making great photos, and even some good large photos, especially with the outstanding Leica lenses. The OM-D is similar (though with higher DR), and I love the prints I get out of it. But if I'm dropping $7K on a full frame camera, especially one that has no autofocus and no other real technological advancements to speak of, I don't expect the performance I get out of a $1,000 m4/3 cam. Leicas are supposed to be about ultimate build quality and ultimate image quality. Hard to justify that with a sensor like this.

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:39 AM
DIS Ottawa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Isn't the new Leica M the Typ 240? I think this is the old CCD sensor.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

So whats the news? Did you expect it to perform different from the 4-years-old M9?
It will be interesting to see how the M240 performs, but the M-E?

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:05 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

If you think that's sad, the only thing it beats on the M9 is color depth, and that's only by .2
Face-palm
Edit: ok so this isn't the new one, I've heard of: M9, M9P, M9mono, I never heard of the 220, which one is that?

Edited on Mar 07, 2013 at 08:32 AM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:18 AM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Don't see the big deal. The M9 is not that good with low ISO as the new Nikon. Why would this be a surprise ?

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:31 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Guys, that's the M-E type 220, otherwise known as the M9 rehash. It's not the new sensor in the M type 240.

Don't expect 2013 performance from a 2009 sensor that was marginal then.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:46 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Oh, I thought this was the type 240... the REAL new Leica. I agree with Phillip, I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different. We all know what it is.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:47 AM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Still a 4800€ camera!

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

Missed that...thought we were looking at the M. Still, a lot of money for mid range performance.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:03 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

This might probably not mean anything to most, but some people do appreciate the sparkle and unique rendering of the only FF CCD sensor on the market. Those who used a Canon 1D or a Nikon D200 should know exactly what I mean.

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:22 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

+1

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:01 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

man look at this piece of **** Zeiss lens! who would spend 1,843 US Dollars on this craptastic excuse for a lens? look at these much cheaper Nikkors that are so much sharper; I mean why would I buy the Distagon when I only get 13 megapickles with my D3x? I can get 19 megapickels with a lens that costs less than 600 US.

if you couldn't tell, the above was sarcasm. DXOMark is the biggest joke in photography; it makes Ken Rockwell look serious by comparison.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:26 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

redisburning wrote:
DXOMark is the biggest joke in photography

if only dxo had anything to do with photography...

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:27 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

nevermind

Edited on Mar 07, 2013 at 01:30 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

DxO Mark is a joke when it comes to lens reviews, that I will give you. However, their sensor reviews, while not perfect, do give a pretty good idea of how a sensor performs.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:29 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

redisburning wrote:
if you couldn't tell, the above was sarcasm. DXOMark is the biggest joke in photography; it makes Ken Rockwell look serious by comparison.

Leica is never meant to be a technology leader.

I use both DXOmark and KR as my resource. and they are both free But that is just FYI type of resource and they are never be my decision factor as I know what I need. DXOmark mainly for sensor performance. and KR for his Leica lens review and even Canikon D800/700/600 and 5dII/III/6d review. I never liked his foto, especially those f4 flash kids foto. but he is a really smart guy and know what he is talking about most of the time. and most important information is precise and more relevant than many other review without boring you. I think He is a sharp guy from his review. but thats his job.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

redisburning wrote:

Actually their sensor tests are remarkably in-depth and accurate. You just have to ignore the total score and look at the individual categories.

I agree that their lens tests are completely ineffective at telling which lenses are actually good. However, you shouldn't compare super-wides with moderate wides and short teles, this is even less meaningful that DxO's raw tests.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

zhangyue wrote:
but he is a really smart guy and know what he is talking about most of the time. and most important information is precise and more relevant than many other review without boring you.

Except when he's making stuff up, which he does a lot. He's an engaging writer and certainly knows how to draw traffic, which is to his credit, but accuracy and precision is kind of funny. His reviews are OK when he actually is thoroughly reviewing a piece of gear, but a lot of his 'reviews' are done from experience with other gear and then projecting that knowledge on to the spec sheet of a new camera. For instance, he reviewed the Fuji X100s without ever touching one....

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:58 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Doesn't look too good according to DxoMark

redisburning wrote:
man look at this piece of **** Zeiss lens! who would spend 1,843 US Dollars on this craptastic excuse for a lens? look at these much cheaper Nikkors that are so much sharper; I mean why would I buy the Distagon when I only get 13 megapickles with my D3x? I can get 19 megapickels with a lens that costs less than 600 US.

DXOMark's numbers are based on specific assumptions that often diverge from how photographers here tend to rate lenses. For example, for lens resolution, DXOMark states:

The resolution score is computed as follows:
For each focal length and each f-number, we first compute sharpness and then weight it throughout the field, tolerating less sharpness in the corners than in the center. This gives one number for each focal and aperture combination.
Then, for each focal length, we select the maximal value of sharpness over the range of available apertures. We average this value over the whole range of focal length to obtain the DxOMark resolution score that we report (in P-MPix).

The Distagon 21/2.8 is an amazing lens because it has excellently uniform high resolution from center to corner; hard to find in a wide angle. But DXOMark "tolerates less sharpness in the corners than in the center," so a lens that hits a bit higher central sharpness with weaker corners will score better.

DXOMark's overall scoring philosophy seems to be based around "I need hand-held snapshots of my cat in the livingroom. Which lens/camera is best?": central frame performance under indoor lighting conditions wins. The Nikkor 28/1.8G probably is better than the Distagon 21/2.8 for posting cat snapshots to Facebook (hence the higher DXOMark score). Photographers with different priorities from cat snapshots may find this scoring system less useful.

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:29 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.