Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

tgillespie

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

So.... Can't say I've ever jumped on a Microsoft product upon release, but the Surface Pro looked great on paper, so I gave it a shot. I must say... I'm impressed. I actually sold both the iPad and the ultrabook. Having just used it on a destination wedding to Mexico, being able to edit some shots on the flight home was awesome. I put a few shots online before the bride even landed. Not saying I couldn't have done it with an ultrabook, but its nice to have something light and with wacom functionality. Brushing with a mouse on an airplane is nearly impossible.

I put a short video on YouTube for those of you interested. Feel free to ask questions too.

http://www.gillphotos.com/for-photographers/surface-pro-review-for-photographers

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

Cool. Saw the video as well. i may have to get one of these . Thanks for sharing the info.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:47 AM
digitalgene

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

This looks great but does it run CS6 ?

Gene

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:23 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

Looks like Microsoft seems needing to give away its Windows Blue either for free or almost for free.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/03/windows-8-adoption-at-standstill.html

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

mshi wrote:
Looks like Microsoft seems needing to give away its Windows Blue either for free or almost for free.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/03/windows-8-adoption-at-standstill.html

With everything in downturn, specially PC..that is expected. Most of the major companies are still implementing windows 7 so it's going to take some time.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:21 PM
darktiger
• •
p.1 #6 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

I love mine... I have had it for about a month now...

Mar 13, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

I have the RT, probably get the pro now.

Mar 13, 2013 at 07:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

How is the color fidelity? Can the screen be calibrated?

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

Can you tell me how you get photos to and from the Surface Pro ? Specifically, I want to know whether it can done via usb, bluetooth or wifi rather than having to use the cloud storage options.

- Alan

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:41 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

The Surface Pro is like any other laptop you can connect to you home network via wifi or bluetooth or use a USB device to get file on or off. The cloud is also an option. Think of the Surface Pro as a laptop with detachable keyboard. The Surface RT is more like a Ipad alternative.

Mar 17, 2013 at 04:40 PM
tgillespie

p.1 #11 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

As WayCool stated, any PC method works. Right after a shoot, I use a card reader to backup my photos. From there, I can work on them using the Surface Pro or transfer them to my data storage device using Wifi.

Don't think of it as a tablet or iPad, but more as a powerbook/laptop with tablet form factor.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM
halie
• • •
p.1 #12 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

Nice video.

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:11 PM
raw shooter
• •
p.1 #13 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

The Surface Pro works great with photography - right out of the box. I didn't initially think it really "needed" profiling.
Well I did eventually use my i1Pro with great results. Obviously brightness is the only calibration step, but the final profile is beautiful.
What a great screen. Really a special device in my workflow.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Started using a Surface Pro for mobile editing...

Thanks for the extra info.

A quick calculation indicated that the 1920x1080 10.6" screen has about 207 ppi which would be pretty nice for viewing photos.

When the Surface Pro hits Australia I'll probably buy one and this may well be the 2nd step of my return to the Windows fold. Step 1 was Apple's insistence that we use the cloud for linking portable devices to our Mac computers. I really hate that.

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:45 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password