Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I'm seeing complaints about Nikon Quality Control and was curious how pervasive the dissatisfaction is among users. I didn't want too many poll questions to dilute the numbers. Basically users are satisfied or not with Nikon's repairs - for varieties of reasons. The only other group left are users who have never needed repairs - which I would lump together with the satisfied group. Let's see where these numbers actually are in this small sample group.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:54 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

Only had 1 item that needed warranty work, fixed it in a decent time, no real complaints.

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:09 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

Only 1 time. Did not vote because I'm not sure mine qualifies as a repair.

I had severe dust under my D700 LCD. The service was fine, my main dissatisfaction came from the fact that my request to speak with a tech was outright refused. All my queries how I could prevent the problem from recurring - dead end, just "No, can't help you". I'm sure they have good reasons, but as a customer I found this rather unfriendly.

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I've had some good and some bad experiences, but usually repairs are slower than they should be. Sometimes I have to buy an extra Nikon body or lens to have gear while the other is being serviced.

EBH

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:44 PM
surreal612
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

you should add on the title of the poll to specify which Nikon Authorized Repair Facility location

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

BenV wrote:
Only had 1 item that needed warranty work, fixed it in a decent time, no real complaints.

same experience

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:32 PM
2of9
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I'm wondering, when a DSLR is sent for repairs, is it sent to a specific Nikon Repair Department? Or are they just repairing/reviewing the issues in one place. You wouldn't want Nikon point and shoot parts in a D4 would you? I've been reading a lot on here about how bad Nikon's QC is and just wondering because I would hate to see my camera getting repaired in a place or area that have techs that are not experienced in the area. It's like bringing a Ferrari to be fixed at a Honda dealership.

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I've been using Nikon dslr's since 2004 and never needed anything repaired until I got the d7k last year. I recently sent it to Melville for wonky AF. They returned the camera in about 2 weeks, maybe less, after replacing some parts and adjusting the AF and defocus control. The camera works fine now, AFAICT.

I used the self-serve thingie on NikonUSA's web site to schedule the repair and described the problem in a paragraph, as part of that process. No muss, no fuss. They didn't ask for more information or require photos or hassle me about anything. In fact, they didn't ever communicate with me about it. It just showed up on my front porch, fully repaired.

They did manage to break one of my QR buckles of my Op/Tech Pro strap. Dunno how they managed to do that, because those things are pretty tough. I'd removed the strap, only leaving the very short QR buckles attached to the body.

Given all of the horror stories of late, concerning Nikon service, I was very pleasantly surprised at the professional and timely job that they did with my repair. So, I give credit where credit is due. Kudos to them, at least for this job.

If interested, you can read the full story here, where I reported on it.

Kerry

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:49 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I don't need a poll to tell me Nikon's QC is bad these days and their repair service sucks because I read that all the time on the internet!

I just clicked the first box BTW

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:07 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

Three significant lens repairs and a couple minor "tweaks" all handled in a speed of turnaround, quality of repair and warranty, and handling manner that exceeded my expectations over the years - Nikon Aerowood Road Mississauga (Toronto). If you believe everything you read on the internet you have bigger issues than quality control!

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AndyD
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

About a week ago I posted my experience with Nikon repair.
Here is what I wrote.
Once in a while I read experiences with Nikon service in the forum. So this is my recent dealings with Nikon repair.
I've had my D4 for five months. A couple of weeks ago while getting ready for a basketball game I noticed that the focus selector lock had fallen off the camera! It was sitting on my lap! Thank God for the back up camera. So off I went with my D3s. Next day I sent the D4 to Melville, NY. They received it on Feb. 20th and the repair was under warranty.Today March 1st, UPS delivered my D4
The invoice repair states the following: 1. Focus selector lock replaced. 2. Adjusted auto focus operation and cleaned the sensor.
So for a nine days turn around I'm very pleased. Not only the camera was repaired but it was checked and cleaned (sensor).

Cheers,
Andy

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

My D300 repair was quick and excellent.

My 70-200 VR repair was slow and horrible.

*shrug*

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:02 PM
tonyc90
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

The times I have used them (Melville) for in and out of warranty repairs have A-ok without problems.

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I have sent lenses and camera bodies to Nikon for service. However, nothing in the last 5 years. Everything I sent was repaired quickly and worked properly when they returned. I have had 2 minor negatives when dealing with Nikon service. When I sent my D70 in for service for inconsistent exposure issues, Nikon called and asked me several questions. One of the questions was what type of CF cards I used. When I told them I used Sandisk they said that might void the warranty since Sandisk CF cards were not approved (at that time) for the D70. But they did warranty it without any further comment. The only other negative I had was that I sent a lens in for service and I packaged it in the original Nikon box and packing and packed inside another box. When they returned it, it was in a plain brown box. I called to get my original box and packing back and I was told my original box and packing had been discarded.

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:39 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I've had mixed reviews with Nikon service as well. A D3 I sent to Nikon NY two years ago was a nightmare to deal with, but a 70-200 I brought into Nikon LA a few months ago was fast and easy.

With the D3 I got the initial repair quote within two days of arrival, I accepted, and it showed it was in the repair queue a day after. Two weeks go by, and nothing changes. I give them a call at week three to check in. They said they would be getting to it soon. 2 weeks later I get an email stating the quote had to be readjusted and jumped from $240 to $1,800, because of a problem "they had just noticed". This "problem" was the first thing I mentioned on the repair form, so for them to take 5 weeks to notice it was a disgrace. After discussing how unprofessional it was of them to spring the news of the price hike on me 5 weeks in they offered to knock $75 off the repair. I just asked for the camera back and had an independent shop repair it for a fraction of the price, and in two days time.

Fast forward to last fall and I needed my 70-200 repaired. Despite my bad experience with Nikon NY I decided to give their LA shop a try. I gave them my 70-200, explained the problem and was off. After one day it was in their online system, and after two it was listed as in shop. On day 5 it was listed as the next step after in shop, but not completed. I called to check in, and they said it was actually ready to be picked up as of the day before. They hadn't updated the online system because they apparently send a letter to inform that the lens is ready if you are a local customer. Since the letter had not arrived yet I was unaware it was ready. They should have just called. Anyway I picked up the lens and it was in perfect working order and even cleaned, with zoom/focus rings smoothed out. A completely painless and simple process completely opposite from my prior experience. I'm glad I live close to the Nikon LA shop now that I can trust them.

In related news, I have had nothing but great things to say about sigma repair service. Fast, easy to communicate with, and an even more simple repair process. The free two day return shipping on all repairs was nice too.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:08 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I should have asked for those that are dissatisfied to explain why in a summary post. I was shocked that this poll was initially tracking at about 85-92% satisfied (seemed too high) - now, most of the latest dissatisfied votes have no explanation post. I think that makes the numbers suspect. I'm not trying to be too cynical. We all know the posts from people who claim to know about equipment, but their post makes clear they have never touched that particular piece of equipment. Kinda like negative feedbacks on ebay. The way the person complains tells whether it is a legitimate gripe or not. So, I'm asking for those that are dissatisfied to please post a factual summary of your negative experience.

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

Ok, as long as you are asking, I'm one of the dissatisfied ones. I've been sending gear to Melville for years. My first 70-200VR was a nightmare, I had to send it in about once a year for various af and VR problems. It would come back in about 3 weeks "fixed" but would soon fail again. After the fifth time, they finally sent me a new lens, which functioned perfectly. I spent over $200 sending that lens in. My D300 went in a bout 3 years back for a bad aperture dial. About 3 weeks later, it was returned only to find out the button to raise the flash was mashed into the body. Their service agent said it's return would be a priority repair which took another 3 weeks. I sent my 24-70 in after it fell from it's Nikon pouch and hit the ground. I did not expect nor get warranty service. The lens was returned in 2 weeks with the zoom ring stiff and erratic. Less than 3 months later the AFS started to fail. I sent it in again and they sent me a refurbed lens that looked like it had been thru a war and had an AFS motor that was worse than the one I sent them. I had to return it for a different refurb at my cost. Again almost $200 in shipping and insurance for all the trips (minus the first one which was my responsibility).
The last one was my D4. The viewfinder eyepiece shutter was hanging in the closed position. Due to the shipping and insurance costs I delivered the camera. It took them 2 weeks to replace the part. Only takes 2 screws and about 5 minutes.
The worst part and common denominator of all the experiences is trying to find out what is going on. Calls to service agents are filled with promises of getting the info and getting back to you but they never do. There is no way to talk directly with the service facility, I have been told they will call me, but they never do. Lots of "I'm sorries" but very short on real actions. It's getting worse, not better and their web updates lag so far behind reality it's laughable. Years ago, I sent my D2x in for something and had it back for 2 weeks before the web update said it was out of the shop and shipped.
The quality of work is good when it's good, but it's not predictable. Too many times it seems the repairs are not given a good inspection before the gear is returned to the customer. I think I'll be looking elsewhere even if the shipping costs are greater.

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:59 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I'm a dissatisfied one, too, but because I've recently vented in another thread I felt that repeating myself would be one of those "talking about a problem over and over" people.

On the other hand, some of the people marking satisfied apparently are talking about repairs from 3 or more years ago, back when Nikon repair service was the best. I don't think anyone's claiming that Nikon has never been good, only that they've deteriorated recently.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:24 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

Grantland wrote:
same experience

+1

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:27 PM
andy.

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is your Nikon REPAIR experience

I sent in a D700 for exposure issues (+3 EV when shooting vertically). It had to be sent in 3 times for it to be deemed unrepairable. I did get a D800 out of it though.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password