Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

radish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Thanks for the information about the promotion in BH. I finally ordered the Nikon 85mm f/1.4
I tried it to take pictures of my kids. All natural light and all are at F1.4

I like the boken and the color. But I do find that sometimes the focus has some problems at f/1.4

But overall, I like it

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Missed focus is the nature of this lens. Your camera says it's locked. Your eyes say it looks good. And the shot is missed.

Remember that at certainly distances, the focal point is less than 1" in distance. If you breath it can shift focus.

Great shots of the kids, and a great lens!

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:19 PM
radish
• •
p.1 #3 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Missed focus is the nature of this lens. Your camera says it's locked. Your eyes say it looks good. And the shot is missed.

Remember that at certainly distances, the focal point is less than 1" in distance. If you breath it can shift focus.

Great shots of the kids, and a great lens!

Thanks for the comments

Yes, it is what happened. The missed focus is really a pain. I need more time to play with this lens

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:23 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

I have that lens as well, and really love it. First thing to learn is that just because you can shoot wide open at 1.4 doesn't mean you always should. You're trying to get a shot with both kids focused in it, you'll want a wider DOF. And you do have some lovely shots here of your kids. Nice!

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

This lens will make you smile and cry. As Ron said, f1.4 yields a very narrow DOF so sometimes its safer to to up the aperture.

I've come away from shoots feeling great, only to find the point of focus was slightly missed. Usually to the untrained eye, I.e the client they might not notice, but when I'm processing I do bloody notice and it drives me crazy!

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:33 PM
andyjh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Agree with above on shooting at 1.4. Having virtually no depth of field is not the same as a lens missing focus. (and of course the closer you are to your subject the shallower that DOF becomes.)

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:43 PM

deinfaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Nice. I have lusted for that lens.

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

I think the results are perfect if we consider it's wide open and the subject are kids

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:54 AM
rffffffff
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Make sure you use a single focus point, not more than one, I usually have the best results when I leave it in C focus mode, leave the point where it belongs even if you have to crop later and take three or six or ten pictures right in a row depending on how important it is to you...

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:17 AM
escapehtml
• •
p.1 #10 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

#4 is very cute.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:17 AM
radish
• •
p.1 #11 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Thanks all for the helpful comments. I will try more and keep you updated

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:36 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon 85mm f/1.4G

Love, love, love my 85G, but I shoot it at f/4 or narrower! Love it anywhere from wide open to f/11 tho. Great glass.

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password