Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shooting Outfielders

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting Outfielders

These were shot with a 400/2.8 and TC20, stopped down to f6.7 (half stop). Also, pretty heavy crop. I was outside the fence along the 3rd base line. Shots taken during warm-up.

They could have been a little sharper. It might be worthwhile to fine tune the lens/TC combo with something like LensAlign.

Regardless, I think this might be my solution for grabbing the outfielders.

How do you shoot outfielders?

Thanks for looking.

Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:33 PM
kylehess10
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting Outfielders

Shooting outfielders is hard. Last year I used a D3 & 300mm 2.8 AF-S & TC17e II tele (1.7x) and my results were pretty good, but just not for night games. This year I've upgraded to the 400 2.8 and plan on using a 1.4 tele for outfielder shots. I think the 2.0 downgrades quality by a lot in my opinion.

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:45 PM
capitalK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting Outfielders

I think the biggest issue with the first photos is how noisy they are. Shooting at ISO 3200 to get 1/3000th shutter speed in daylight doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Also you are underexposing, which might be OK for the backgrounds but see how the second poster is exposing for the faces? His 1st and 3rd are too bright in the backgrounds but the faces look great, which is my preference.

Keep at it! It's not even Spring yet so you have lots of time.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting Outfielders

Dennis, I don't ever shoot just outfielders, so I use the same lens/camera for getting shots of them that I use for grabbing infielders and batters. What that means is I CROP the heck out of the shots, like this:

Or this:

Or even this:

All taken with a 1.3X camera (might even be the SAME 1.3X camera - my old MkIIn) and a 400mm f/2.8 lens.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:23 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting Outfielders

Man that shot of the Cubs is off the hook, what a grab! By both you and the outfielder !

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:22 AM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting Outfielders

capitalK wrote:
...Shooting at ISO 3200 to get 1/3000th shutter speed in daylight doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me....

Exactly right. Sloppy on my part; wasn't paying attention.

Dennis W., I think you probably have the best idea - one lens and crop like hell.

Thanks, all, for stoppin' by!

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:17 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password