Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

MarGal
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

I have always used a cone with the monolights at wedding receptions. I am contemplating on going bare bulb with the monolights. Anyone have any experience either way, good or bad? Thanks in advance!

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

Depending on what kind of light output you are going for but using bare bulb will give a large amount of spread throughout the room and throw all shorts or shadows.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:55 PM
MarGal
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

Excellent point in regards to the shadows. Thanks!

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:57 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

MarGal wrote:
...I am contemplating on going bare bulb with the monolights.

It could work if the walls and ceiling are light toned and not an odd color, but you might be wasting a lot of light by sending it in directions that won't help your shots.

If the regular reflector dishes are too concentrated for your desires you might consider small shoot-through umbrellas on the monolights.

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:03 PM
MarGal
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

I had never considered the umbrellas for reception lighting, but I will definitely try it. Thanks for the input.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

I tried the umbrella route for one event to get nice fill of the reception area but it was just an eyesore sitting in the corner. It took away from the decorated room so I took it down about halfway through the reception.

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

we always just used the 7" reflectors....

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

The main problem with going bare-bulb at a reception is the relative intensity of the light very close to the strobe -- if you're shooting toward a bare-bulb strobe, whatever is right beneath it (and if the ceiling is low enough, the ceiling right above it) could be heavily over-exposed compared to the subject.

The reflector allows you to feather and flag some of that light off of the subjects nearest the light: if you aim the light up at, say, 45 degrees, the bottom part of the reflector flags the bulb for the subjects immediately below the light, and the upper part of the reflector bounces some fraction of the light down toward subjects starting, say, 5 or 8 feet away. The ceiling may be blown out, but, hopefully, the part of the ceiling that would be blown out will be closer to you and therefore less often in the frame.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Corojo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bare bulb for wedding receptions?

Have a friend using Quantum TD's (barebulb) w/ half moon background reflectors. Using Bogen Masterstands (12') & gets REALLY nice background reception lighting.

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password