Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

mike-in-ak wrote:
Hitachi and Toshiba have been the most reliable units in the past for me. But as others point out, hard drive manufacturing facilities are bought and sold almost daily.

As a general rule, I look for "enterprise" class drives.

It is difficult to know who actually manufacturers a given hard drive because many brands package and "add value" to a core set of products. I sometimes cynically think they're all made in the same cave by dwarfs or some such oddity

As noted by Mike, the class of drive is probably more important than the name on it. Enterprise drives cost more but generally have larger caches, longer warranties, and supposedly more robust mechanisms though I've never seen this independently verified. Personally, I think the company you buy from (not the manufacturer) is the most important factor because that determines your level of service and responsiveness. I've dealt with a company for ~7 years with literally hundreds of drives passing thru my hands. They've always made anything wrong or odd good very fast.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:00 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

I have 50TB of primary storage at home and everything is also mirrored off-site, for a 100TB of storage. Not really enough to be statistically viable I know I've had nothing but trouble with WD, and Seagate have been great. Hitachi the worst. The thing to consider is that Hitachi drives have less density, meaning they usually have one more platter than competitors at same capacity, resulting in more power consumption, resulting in more heat, which is usually linked to more wear.

The guy whom I bought my current house from was a VP at Hitachi Storage. He told me to stay away from Hitachi

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Over the years I have had all of the good brands die on me. Occasionally they were defective from day one but usually the faults appeared after I had lots of data and applications on the drives. Some died suddenly. Some took ages and corrupted lots of files in the process. Some had defects that the OS worked around.

As someone mentioned, keep them cool and they should work for longer but I found that it will not always be so.

None of them are absolutely reliable to the extent that I would bet body parts on them working for a set number of years

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Seagate, Western Digital or Hitachi ... whichever one is on sale at the time.

I believe Hitachi bought out the IBM Deskstar line of drives.
Seagate bought out Maxtor for their production plants.
Western Digital bought out someone also, but I forget who.

In the past 15+ years as an IT person dealing with these manufacturers, they all have gone through times where they have boat loads of bad drives or ones that don't last. However, I've had the least issues with these 3 manufacturers overall.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:19 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Ditto. I've dealt w/ all of them and they all fail or have bad runs or bad series (in retrospect) at some point.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

As I believe Hammy mentioned, the model is more significant than the brand. Of the last two standing, WD and Seagate, both have produced problematical models and excellent models, and will likely continue to do so.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:29 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Go to Newegg, look at the reviews, that generally gives you and idea epically if a drive is bad. In many cases there can be 100+ reviews.
I'm always leery of really long an detailed reviews, that to me is the hallmark of a paid reviewer. But, I see less of that on Newegg, than Amazon.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DorkSterr

p.2 #8 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

WD been using it for 15+ years and never had a problem. For SSD's I would go with OCZ or Corsair.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:53 PM
teuchter

p.2 #9 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Our company buys hundreds of WD drives every year. We have been doing this for over 15 years. So far we've had 3 fail in warranty. We've had a few others go after 7 or 8 years, but at that point they aren't doing anything critical.
We regularly swap out Seagate drives that are failing or have failed. Personally I wouldn't take one as a gift.
Hitachi used to make very good drives, but have had supply problems so I don't know what their current quality is like.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Sam tran
• • •
p.2 #10 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

I had several (more than 2 each) WD, Seagate drives crashed on me several years ago, so I started using Hitachi (1 Samsung SSD) and no problem for me so far after 4+ yrs. Nevertheless, it's always "you get what you paid for", thus if anything worthwhile to keep, I would get a enterprise's drive which it would cost at least 4x more. Even so, at the near manufacture's MTBF (meantime between failure), I have to get another new drive and transfer my data for safety.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:59 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Sam tran wrote:
I had several (more than 2 each) WD, Seagate drives crashed on me several years ago, so I started using Hitachi (1 Samsung SSD) and no problem for me so far after 4+ yrs. Nevertheless, it's always "you get what you paid for", thus if anything worthwhile to keep, I would get a enterprise's drive which it would cost at least 4x more. Even so, at the near manufacture's MTBF (meantime between failure), I have to get another new drive and transfer my data for safety.

But wait....

If you take the same precautions of expecting every drive to fail at any moment, what does it benefit you to buy an enterprise drive that you're not going to use under enterprise conditions?

With the exception of a set of Maxtors, I've never had a desktop drive fail on me...I've replaced them far sooner than that. With proper precautions, a drive failure is inconvenient, but not a catastrophe. For a single user in a desktop, is an enterprise drive really cost effective?

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:56 AM
rico
• • • •
p.2 #12 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

RDKirk wrote:
With proper precautions, a drive failure is inconvenient, but not a catastrophe. For a single user in a desktop, is an enterprise drive really cost effective?

The answer is yes for me, but with caveats. Others must weight their own cost/benefits. On my main machine, the current tiers of mass storage are SSD (240GB), SCSI (300GB), SATA (500GB), and tape. While backups are performed, data loss/corruption is always a pain. The tier occupied by SCSI (soon SAS) is the one I expect to exhibit greatest reliability, and I pay accordingly. At times when I maintained massive quantities of data at work, the economical route was eight ATA Maxtor drives on a 3Ware controller. Even with RAID5, that sucker was a bitch to recover when a Maxtor died (several times) but, hey, that was a paying gig.

I wouldn't touch Seagate consumer with a 10-foot pole, but their enterprise 2.5 HDD look pretty good. I'm planning to install the Savvio 10K.6 (SAS) next week.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:35 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #13 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

I've been involved in the computer field since Winchester drives were first introduced to consumers. I still own a 40 megabyte hard drive that takes up two and a half 5.25" drive bays. I don't use it, it just makes an attractive door stopper.

Most of the manufacturers make pretty good stuff nowadays. If nothing else, resign yourself to making complete multiple redundant backups of your photos using external hard drives.

The ability to disconnect the power and store the drives safely when they are otherwise not being used will greatly increase the life of the drives. You can use memory sticks, but relative to a standard HDD, they are expensive and in limited capacities.

If the drives are for use in a computer tower, buy large capacity drives, and set up a raid system for reliability and performance.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password