Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

I'm somewhat annoyed by the fact that Nikon refuses to implement a rule of thirds overlay for their DSLRs. Look, I know some of you guys are going to assert that it's a non-issue and that I should be able to visualize it in my head, but I can't. I prefer to have an overlay to make things more precise. It should be an option just like how Canon and Sony makes it available for their cameras. So having said that, is there a way to impose a rule of thirds grid on either the viewfinder or live view for the Nikon FX cameras? I've been Googling for ideas, but I haven't found anything to help me out.

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Reagan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

The Viewfinder Grid Display is in the Shooting/Display part of your Custom Menu Settings on a D600 it is D2

Reagan

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:08 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

The D7000 has one as well.

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:17 AM
pdxflint
• •
p.1 #4 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

I turned on the grid display in my D300 viewfinder... no problem at all. Maybe you should just check your settings in the shooting menu, as Reagan mentioned. Just a thought.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:27 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #5 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

Reagan wrote:
The Viewfinder Grid Display is in the Shooting/Display part of your Custom Menu Settings on a D600 it is D2

Reagan

Am I missing something here? I just google it up and I don't see a rule of thirds grid. What I do see is a grid divided into 1/4s.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:52 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

It's not a rule of thirds grid. That is, you can't get the grid crosspoints to overlay the "thirds" of the viewfinder.

I suspect, though, that you can very quickly and accurately compose a rule of thirds image with the existing grid, though

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:02 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

I suggest digging a little deeper into the options menu. You're looking for something that says rule of thirds, and its not labeled that. I don't ever recall a digital camera that didn't have the grid lines as a toggle'able option.

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Palmguy
• •
p.1 #8 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

binary visions wrote:
It's not a rule of thirds grid. That is, you can't get the grid crosspoints to overlay the "thirds" of the viewfinder.

I suspect, though, that you can very quickly and accurately compose a rule of thirds image with the existing grid, though

Yep, you can

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:40 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

BenV wrote:
I suggest digging a little deeper into the options menu. You're looking for something that says rule of thirds, and its not labeled that. I don't ever recall a digital camera that didn't have the grid lines as a toggle'able option.

The grid overlay on the Nikon cameras divides the viewfinder into quarters, not thirds.

Once you have a frame of reference, though, it's pretty easy to adjust the quarters grid to framing a thirds composition.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:01 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #10 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

Get a Katzeye...

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Grid-Lines-Crop-Guides--gridlines.html

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

afm901
• •
p.1 #11 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

The "Rule of Thirds" is a concept, not a hard and fast rule. If you need to use grid lines to compose your picture using the "Rule of Thirds", you have bigger issues with visualization that you need to resolve.

Scott

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

My D70s had a "rule of 3rds" grid

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:27 PM
James R
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

Go to the Viewfinder Grid Display and turn it on. At least that is were it is located on a D4. I assume the language will be the same through out the cameras. But, photographers have been composing, using the rule of thirds, for years without viewfinder aides.

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

afm901 wrote:
The "Rule of Thirds" is a concept, not a hard and fast rule. If you need to use grid lines to compose your picture using the "Rule of Thirds", you have bigger issues with visualization that you need to resolve.

Scott

+1. It's not an exact rule and your brain should be able to interpolate fractions.

EBH

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:02 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #15 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

Put a screen protector on the back, draw the lines with a Sharpie, and use liveview

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:17 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #16 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

afm901 wrote:

Scott

Using that kind of poor logic, then perhaps we should eliminate all grid lines then. We should also eliminate AF and just go with MF. It should be an option on these cameras. If you feel that as a pro and consider it to be unnecessary, then don't use it. You shouldn't be able to dictate what a camera should and shouldn't have.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:19 AM
afm901
• •
p.1 #17 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

lsquare,

It's not poor logic at all. I use grid lines for technical photographic reasons: to square the camera to the horizon for landscapes, building lines, copying, etc.

The "rule of thirds" is not meant to be technical. It's not meant to be measured to the exact point. It's a guideline that helps one with composition which is a creative aspect of photography.

You can use the grid lines for your "creative" process if you so choose. But, what I said still stands: "If you need to use grid lines to compose your picture using the "Rule of Thirds", you have bigger issues with visualization that you need to resolve."

If you can't visualize about 1/3rd up, down, left, or right in the viewfinder, you have bigger issues!

Scott

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Dwight3

p.1 #18 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

The rule of thirds is out of fashion. All the Nikon owners are now using the rule of fourths.

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:40 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

lsquare wrote:
I'm somewhat annoyed by the fact that Nikon refuses to implement a rule of thirds overlay for their DSLRs. Look, I know some of you guys are going to assert that it's a non-issue and that I should be able to visualize it in my head, but I can't. I prefer to have an overlay to make things more precise. It should be an option just like how Canon and Sony makes it available for their cameras. So having said that, is there a way to impose a rule of thirds grid on either the viewfinder or live view for
...Show more

Yes there is a way to do it. I paid $2.7 million for this but I am going to let you have it for free.

To impose a rule of thirds grid on any LCD or viewfinder in any brand camera; you just need to know how to use the rule of thirds and imagine it is there. Has worked great for me for over 15 years of shooting.

Mar 09, 2013 at 01:36 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Any way to get rule of thirds overlay for Nikon DSLRs?

lsquare wrote:
Using that kind of poor logic, then perhaps we should eliminate all grid lines then. We should also eliminate AF and just go with MF. It should be an option on these cameras. If you feel that as a pro and consider it to be unnecessary, then don't use it. You shouldn't be able to dictate what a camera should and shouldn't have.

If you can't visualize something this simple....perhaps you should find a different hobby...Golf?...Fishing?

Seriously though....if its such a deal breaker, just switch to a different brand.

Mar 09, 2013 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password