Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

In an attempt to lighten up my wedding day load I decided to buy 3 Yongnuo YN-560 II’s to replace my Einstein’s. I normally shoot receptions at ISO 800-1600 to capture a lot of ambient so the Einstein’s were a little overkill since I have to use them near the lowest setting. Also I started getting tired of always having to find electrical outlets, laying extension cords, and/or bringing my vagabond mini. The YN-560ii’s just came in the mail today and I must say that I am already impressed!! They are strobist’s dream!!! They have a built in PC sync port, a port for an external battery, adjust from full power all the way down to 1/128 power in 1/3 stops, and the build quality is very very good (I’m quite sure this thing can take its fare share of falls and keep on ticking). The recycle time is pretty good too…. about 2-3 secs @ full power and almost instantaneous at ½ power and below. The only improvements that I can possibly think of would be built in wireless receivers and the ability to adjust the power remotely. I can’t wait to use these for my upcoming weddings this weekend. If you are comfortable with using manual flash and are need of some quality new flashes I think you will be hard pressed to match the price/quality of these babies!!

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:05 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

I have a couple of these that I use along with Phottix Strato II's. They are great!

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:15 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

I have one and plan to buy a few more. Is there an easy way to turn off the "beep"?

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:38 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

I use two of these off camera at receptions. Love them.

Sheri, just press the music note button on the back for a few seconds and the beep turns off.

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:42 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

I don't see these as replacements at all. Einsteins and the likes are not really necessary for receptions. However, you go out into a very bright sunny day the smaller lights *may* not be enough. That is where your Einsteins will do the job much better than your portable flashes.

I don't see how people compare one to the other. It's like comparing a two seater pickup truck to a family sedan. You can use both for hauling things and you can use both for transporting people. But one is better than the other in certain situations. This is why both are good to have; if you can afford them.

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:46 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

These are just replacing my Einstein’s for receptions. I will still continue to carry one Einstein in my airport security bag for dramatic portraits and instances where I need to overpower the sun. If wanted to though….. I could gang 3 or 4 of the YN 560’s together and get about the same output as the Einstein.

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:08 AM
rtolber

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

derbarrett wrote:
...The only improvements that I can possibly think of would be built in wireless receivers

The mkIII just launched last week with built-in wireless receivers.. http://www.lightingrumours.com/yongnuo-speedlite-yn560-iii-radio-enabled-flashgun-review-3338

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

I still use a pair of old Nikon flashes for OCF, cheap, consistent and powerful. What am I missing here?

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:00 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

I replaced a trio of 285HV's with the 560's and they work great. More control over the light and seeing them using a light up LCD is way easier than the knob on the 285HV's.

I trigger mine with a set of Microsyncs which I Velcro right to the to of the flash head. the III looks like a great all in one.set.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:00 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

they are nice little flashes but I still prefer some older nikon flashes. they have ttl and can be used with my radiopoppers cubes so i can adjust power remotely.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:45 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

Brian Virts wrote:
I still use a pair of old Nikon flashes for OCF, cheap, consistent and powerful. What am I missing here?

If you are comfortable with using manual flash and are need of some new quality flashes I think you will be hard pressed to match the price/quality of these babies!!

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:35 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

have 3 of them, love it
cheapest best buy camera stuff wise ever

heiko

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:57 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

derbarrett wrote:
If wanted to though….. I could gang 3 or 4 of the YN 560’s together and get about the same output as the Einstein.

FYI, don't leave the Einstein behind yet, I've done some testing and it would take 13 hotshoe flashes (I was testing with sb800s) to equal an Einsteins output. Tests were done with a light meter and bouncing back into an Apollo to normalize the different beam patterns.

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:07 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

yongnuooooooooo

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:51 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

Just FYI, i was looking into yongnuo 560's a while back, and a buddy of mind advised me against it....he said longevity wise they're junk.....i did a little more research, and found his view to hold water....

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/08/test-drive-yongnuo-yn-560.html

David Hobby says it's a dog.....i trust him enough, along with reviews on amazon, to pick up 2 EX condition sb-25's from KEH for $60 each instead....

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:47 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

NathanHamler wrote:
Just FYI, i was looking into yongnuo 560's a while back, and a buddy of mind advised me against it....he said longevity wise they're junk.....i did a little more research, and found his view to hold water....

David Hobby says it's a dog.....i trust him enough, along with reviews on amazon, to pick up 2 EX condition sb-25's from KEH for $60 each instead....

Yeah I heard this too about the original 560s but have yet to hear any complaints 560 ii's.

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

NathanHamler wrote:

Sure are a lot of fans here for it being junk. The Amazon reviews were a huge selling point for me - over 200 reviews, 4.5 stars out of 5. They've been dependable work horses for me.

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:06 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

NathanHamler wrote:

The last update was from a year and a half ago and it's about the first iteration of the 560. Hobby didn't do any personal long-term testing (unless he kept it a secret) and he's stating something that he's heard.

brad

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:15 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

brett maxwell wrote:
FYI, don't leave the Einstein behind yet, I've done some testing and it would take 13 hotshoe flashes (I was testing with sb800s) to equal an Einsteins output. Tests were done with a light meter and bouncing back into an Apollo to normalize the different beam patterns.

I was kind of wondering about that statement but I didn't have any personal testing to back it up.

brad

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:16 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Yongnuo YN-560 II (Best $70 I Ever Spent!)

DigMeTX wrote:
I was kind of wondering about that statement but I didn't have any personal testing to back it up.

brad

Sorry about that ..... let me qualify my statement. If I gang 3 or 4 of the them together I should have enough juice to overpower the sun. In my quick test a couple of days ago I was getting F10 @ ISO 100 from about 10' away with one flash which means that I should be able to get around F18-F20 with 3-4 of them.

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.