Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · The longest Canon lens combo

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · The longest Canon lens combo

By using Canon TCs and retaining AF, the longest FL one can normally do within the Canon system is 1200mm FL, i.e., 600mm f/4 prime + 2xTC.

Obviously for those that can (or like to) focus manually, sky is the limit. However, we usually do not see too many long range BIF shots focused manually.

I haven't done much shooting with (600 f/4 IS MkII + 2xTC MkIII) combo this winter for a couple of reasons:

(1) Poor light has been prevalent, and my 1DX has not been updated to the f/8 AF firmware version yet, thus I had to use 1DMkIIN or 1DsMkII which do not excel at high ISO.

(2) Almost constant wind in my winter shooting "theatre" by the lake has had an adverse impact on the IQ of a large lens such as 600, particularly when extended to 1200mm. Shooting without the (huge sail-like) hood is also not the best idea from the IQ standpoint, particularly when surrounded by light reflecting ice and snow.

However, whatever I have done so far looks fairly good, and even a couple of BIF shots I got were surprisingly adequate. Here is the latest such shot. If I told you that the keeper rate was OK, I'd be trying to deceive you....in fact, it was very very low. However, I am hoping that 1DX will AF noticeably better at f/8 than my 1DsMkII.

The example below was shot handheld: 1DsMkII + 600 II + 2xTC MkIII.

Edited on Mar 06, 2013 at 02:51 AM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · The longest Canon lens combo

Very nice, Peter. You can really see the very shallow DOF.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · The longest Canon lens combo

I bet you could do just as well with manual focus on the 1DX + 800/5.6L + 2x III, if you first get some practise with MF Alt lenses. I recommend you start with the Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE, and work up in focal length, until you get to the big whites.

[My turn, Robert is taking a nap]

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:26 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · The longest Canon lens combo

wow, that is impressive, Peter.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · The longest Canon lens combo

The sharp bits look really Peter, very well done.

The overly shallow dof is what most don't consider when they talk about adding tc's, especially the 2x. While sometimes a shallow dof is desired/works well, other times it's just hurts the image.

Tim

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:36 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · The longest Canon lens combo

jcolwell wrote:
I bet you could do just as well with manual focus on the 1DX + 800/5.6L + 2x III, if you first get some practise with MF Alt lenses. I recommend you start with the Zeiss 21/2.8 ZE, and work up in focal length, until you get to the big whites.

[ My turn, Robert is taking a nap][/quote]

Thank you Jim and Chris, glad you like it........however, to emphasize it again, there is a significan luck factor in that shot, i.e., low keeper rate, at least with 1DsMkII.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · The longest Canon lens combo

Your also making us 80 year olds, feel really bad .
Cheers
Harry Palmer

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · The longest Canon lens combo

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Cheers
Harry Palmer

Why is that ? Do you figure Peter is older?

[tag]

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:40 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · The longest Canon lens combo

Tim Kuhn wrote:
The sharp bits look really Peter, very well done.

The overly shallow dof is what most don't consider when they talk about adding tc's, especially the 2x. While sometimes a shallow dof is desired/works well, other times it's just hurts the image.

Tim

Thank you, Tim....that was done at f/11 and at a fair distance, and still DoF was too narrow......if AF settled on the wingtip, the picture would have been garbage.
Really, 1200mm combo is not a good BIF tool.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #10 · The longest Canon lens combo

very very nice . . . for an old guy.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · The longest Canon lens combo

Sweet! Thanks Grant. You're now officially the south-central member of the PetKal taste of reality tag team.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · The longest Canon lens combo

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Cheers
Harry Palmer

Harry, never give up....and do not underestimate the insanity factor which is a huge reservoir of strength seldom tapped into.

Edited on Mar 05, 2013 at 01:08 AM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:03 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · The longest Canon lens combo

Grantland wrote:
very very nice . . . for an old guy.

Grant, as a friend to a friend, my suggestion is that you let our FM's Moe and Larry look for their Curly elsewhere.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · The longest Canon lens combo

[too late]

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · The longest Canon lens combo

Here is another BIF shot with the same setup.
This one was a much more distant bird, and the shot exibits the AF difficulty: although I did see the oncoming bird early enough, I just couldn't establish AF on it until she was almost gone. Granted, those Mergansers are very fast flyers, but with 800L bare, as an example, I would have probably nailed that kinda shot early enough for 2-3 keepers.

Yes, one more thing in case it is not obvious: rippled water surface in the background is absolutely deadly from the standpoint of AF diversion away from the target.....therein was much of the AF difficulty. AFing on a target which flies in front of a smooth or distant background is easier by an order of magnitude.

Edited on Mar 06, 2013 at 02:51 AM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:20 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · The longest Canon lens combo

PetKal wrote:
Grant, as a friend to a friend, my suggestion is that you let our FM's Moe and Larry look for their Curly elsewhere.

Very funny Mr Chaplin.

But that doesn't fit our motto "un pour tous, tous pour un"

Les Trois Mousquetaires

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:01 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · The longest Canon lens combo

burningheart wrote:
Very funny Mr Chaplin.

But that doesn't fit our motto "un pour tous, tous pour un"Les Trois Mousquetaires

He he Robert, you have borrowed the Canadian Senate's in-house motto. Now that would be funny, if it wasn't so deeply saddening.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:08 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #18 · The longest Canon lens combo

PetKal wrote:
By using Canon TCs and retaining AF, the longest FL one can normally do within the Canon system is 1200mm FL, i.e., 600mm f/4 prime + 2xTC.

I humbly disagree.

EF 1200mm + TC1.4 gives 1680mm.

You should check it out, go into your cabinet and pull out your 1200 and 1,4 and try it out. Be sure to eat your wheaties first as that is a fairly hefty combo.

Now I'd like to go back to sleep and continue my dream that I am reading about the new Phase One IQ2 series and the Camranger.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · The longest Canon lens combo

You can go longer by using an 800L + 1.4x (Kenko) + 1.4x (Canon) and it will still AF, at least on a 1DII/III/IV

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:12 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · The longest Canon lens combo

burningheart wrote:
I humbly disagree.

EF 1200mm + TC1.4 gives 1680mm.

You should check it out, go into your cabinet and pull out your 1200 and 1,4 and try it out. Be sure to eat your wheaties first as that is a fairly hefty combo.

Now I'd like to go back to sleep and continue my dream that I am reading about the new Phase One IQ2 series and the Camranger.

Robert, you are of course right......in theory. Pleasant Phase One dreams.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password