Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Phottix Odin

400d
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Phottix Odin

There's also King II from Pixel but heck, wait for that? More like from Santa this year.

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:14 PM
cbusjer

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Phottix Odin

The Dazzne doesn't look nearly as user-friendly as the Odin. I did see that Michael Bass designs has an ST-E2 modded with an added hot shoe on top, but I'm not sure how the Odin would function with it. The sad kicker is, right now I'm using the T4i/650d which doesn't activate AF assist on flashes like all the rest of the Canon cameras do... hopefully next firmware update.

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:33 AM
400d
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Phottix Odin

cbusjer wrote:
The Dazzne doesn't look nearly as user-friendly as the Odin. I did see that Michael Bass designs has an ST-E2 modded with an added hot shoe on top, but I'm not sure how the Odin would function with it. The sad kicker is, right now I'm using the T4i/650d which doesn't activate AF assist on flashes like all the rest of the Canon cameras do... hopefully next firmware update.

An additional hot shoe on top of a ST-E2, would be an easy mod if it's only for splitting the sync signal, which is not the same for the TTL signal, this requires a circuit to decode and "pass it thru" to another hot shoe.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:14 AM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Phottix Odin

Just bought the Odin few days ago. (I already had the Pixel King).

First, the control via TCU is make life easier compared to the King

Also the feature to set the zoom independently. One of the reason I bought the Odin. But I found out that I can not set the zoom if the flash head is straight up. Only if the flash pointing forward (cobra position) that I can set the zoom. I wonder why Phottix can handle that. A bit dissapointed with this problem. Hope they could fix it with firmware.

Secondly I just curious how the Odin works in manual flash power mode.
When I use the King, if I set to Manual mode from the camera, the flash is in M mode too, but using the Odin, the flash is still in ETTL mode, although the power is change resepectively if I change the power setting from the TCU.
Wonder how Odin works to determine the power level using ETTL mode.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:33 AM
jameshays

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Phottix Odin

I've been an Odin user since they were released and couldn't be happier...well I thought that until Phottix released the Mitros. Such a great combo. I typically use outdoors in HSS mode full manual, no problems at all. The Mitros does everything my Canon flash did but also has an optical slave which I use all the time in the studio. Lately I've been using the Mitros in an Apollo soft box triggered with the odin, just bullet proof. Here's an example of that setup.
Link

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Phottix Odin

Mitros could become a great option if Phottix will decide to include inside a radio receiver working with the Odin Commander. Unless this will happen I do not see any reason to replace my trusty Nikon and Nissin units.

Apr 17, 2013 at 08:56 AM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Phottix Odin

I also hope that Phottix could make a hypersync mode flash that work with 5DII at top shutter speed (1/4000 - 1/8000)...

I had a success using my Odin to trigger my YongNuo flash (non hss flash, set at 1/1 power) by connecting it via cord to the Odin receiver to have no dark banding image at 1/250 - 1/8000 shutter speed with my Canon 60D. But sadly it had big dark banding if using 5D II with the same setting as the 60D.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Phottix Odin

Which Yongnuo flash, nixland?

brad

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:11 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Phottix Odin

I'm strongly considering investing in Odin.

brad

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:12 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Phottix Odin

DigMeTX wrote:
Which Yongnuo flash, nixland?

brad

565EX.
At first I had the new hss 568EX in mind, but using hss I will loose much power if I want to beat the sun outdoor. So I am thinking of using non hss cheaper flash set at manual full power and using hypersync to get more power. It works greatly on 60D but sadly failed on 5D.

I am now curious about Phottix mobile light the PPL400

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sic0048
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Phottix Odin

nixland wrote:
Secondly I just curious how the Odin works in manual flash power mode.
When I use the King, if I set to Manual mode from the camera, the flash is in M mode too, but using the Odin, the flash is still in ETTL mode, although the power is change resepectively if I change the power setting from the TCU.
Wonder how Odin works to determine the power level using ETTL mode.

As you noted, the flashes on the Odin receivers should always be set to TTL mode (even if you want to use manual power control through the Oden). I've found that the Odin triggers also cause the flashes to preflash too. The two of these things make sense if you think about it.

Basically the flashes on the Odin trigger "think" they are on the camera body and in TTL mode which allows the Odin to hijack the normal TTL communication and inject it's own power settings when in manual power mode. In other words, the flash has a preflash and waits for the body to send a message about what power level it needs to use on the normal flash. In manual power mode, the Odin system simply ignores the pre-flash exposure data and sends the power setting that you have set on the transmitter. The flash doesn't have any idea that it's not on the body and receiving TTL power signals which is why the flashes much be in TTL mode and will always preflash irregardless of the mode setting on the Oden transmitter.

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:46 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Phottix Odin

@sic0048: yes, I think that's how it works. Thanks for your input. Brilliant idea from phottix.

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:26 PM
ozpall
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Phottix Odin

jameshays wrote:
I've been an Odin user since they were released and couldn't be happier...well I thought that until Phottix released the Mitros. Such a great combo. I typically use outdoors in HSS mode full manual, no problems at all. The Mitros does everything my Canon flash did but also has an optical slave which I use all the time in the studio. Lately I've been using the Mitros in an Apollo soft box triggered with the odin, just bullet proof. Here's an example of that setup.
Link

really good work man!!!

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:30 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Phottix Odin

After having my Pixel King crap out on me I received a warranty credit for it from Amazon and applied it towards an Odin setup with two receivers. I'm excited to get it and I'm excited to finally have full on-camera control! It works out nicely because I also have two Phottix Strato receivers that I can use manually when I need to work in more than two lights.

brad

May 13, 2013 at 03:24 PM
dwdallam
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Phottix Odin

Guys, here is how the Odins work:

Yes, they are ALWAYS in ETTL (TTL) mode, even when they are in manual mode--it's just how they talk to the flash, or take control of it. That's why you get a preflash in manual if you trigger the flash from the camera. You can use a light meter for the Canon flashes by turning the flash to manual on the Odin TCU (or the flash itself), and then manually tripping the Canon flash using the "test" button. When the Canon flash is in manual, and you push the test button, it fires at the power setting of the flash. This is on pp22 of the 580EXII manual. You cannot "test" fire at manual power from the TCU--although I think they are working on that. In other words, if you want the manual power setting to fire at thta specific setting using "test", the only way you can do that currently is to trip the test from the flash itself, while in manual mode.

Also, the reason people think that the Odins are "all that" is because people test them in specific ways. I suspect most people use them within 10-20 feet of each other, or they use the TCU test button at 115m and get reliable flashes and think that means on camera real life is the same--it is not. I tested them today in three groups with three 580EXIIs.

Manual mode at 1/128th
Canon 1DS MKIII
3x 590EXIIs
Channel 1
Groups ABC
2nd curtain

At 25m, the line of sight flash misfired once in about 200 test shots.
At 25m one of the flashes hidden behind some brush misfired several times.
At 30m the flash hidden behind a large tree truck (6'diameter) misfired a lot.

Once the TCU starts to flash its green light, the first shot was the worst for misfires.

If you continue shooting (one shot every 1-2 seconds) after the TCU goes solid green light, this is the most reliable, including the 30m hidden flash.

After the TCU goes to sleep and the flash guns go to sleep, you need to push the shutter button half way down and wait a few seconds, or you will get first shot misfires almost every time. Same for changes made on the TCU.

30m doesn't sound like much, but it's a long, long way. If you have a 280-300mm lens, you could use it at that distance easy, however, especially for large subjects, like autos. So 30m is a long way, but also a short way (I like to use my 70-200 IS L Canon glass whenever I can because it is simply superior to most other glass, even the 24-70L.

Best of all, I have this documented in video. I'm going to do a more professional video test though before publishing it. The test took place where there is no RF 2.4 interference--my brother's ranch that does not get any wireless, cable, or anything else. The only wireless available at his place is his cell phone, which was off.

When testing in the city, it was noticeably worse. However, so far, at 20m or closer, and without any obstructions between the flash and TCU (wooden fences, thick brush, or cars) , the Odins are very reliable. They still require a half shutter press to wake up and talk. Same thing for any changes made on the TCU. First shot was always the least reliable.

Last, testing reliability using the TCU in your hand will not reproduce real world reliability because the test message is very small and one way. There is no talking to figure out flash durations or exposures. I've been back over 90m between cars and what have you and triggered flashes every single time that way. You can neither test with a single flash because that produces a cleaner signal rather than using multiple flashes all on their own group. If you want to truly test the unit, you need multiple flash units (unless you only plan to use one unit)

Disclaimer: The system tested is 'that" system and does not represent all systems. You cannot compare one camera system with another for reliability, for each camera and flash has it's unique way of communicating. So this test only applies to my kit. Also, I only tested using Canon 580EXII guns.

The good news: Odin is about the best thing going, even with its misfires. I just ordered a 600RT Flash tonight, and I will test again after I receive it (I won't be using the STE3 because of it limitations with older cameras, such as my 1DS MKIII, unless someone can prove that I can sync in normal mode at 1/250th, w/o the Canon STE3 system automatically going to HSS mode). I will also test using my 5D original. I will also test using ONE flash gun, first a single 580EXII and then a single 600RT.

Also, no matter what camera you use, the Canon RT system will not and cannot ever do 2nd curtain wireless, nor adjust zoom from camera position-EVER--unless Canon updates it to do such.

May 20, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Phottix Odin

Hi Doug! Very interesting tests. Keep posting your findings please!

BTW anyone knows more about the new YN-622N i-TTL wireless transceiver? I've heard that is a game changer for a very convenient cost. Any first hand experience?

May 20, 2013 at 09:10 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Phottix Odin

I got my Odin setup for Nikon in last week. I used it on a senior shoot Saturday and I was really pleased with it. No misfires that I know of and everything seemed really consistent.

brad

May 20, 2013 at 01:16 PM
dwdallam
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Phottix Odin

DigMeTX wrote:
I got my Odin setup for Nikon in last week. I used it on a senior shoot Saturday and I was really pleased with it. No misfires that I know of and everything seemed really consistent.

brad

Brad,

I don't doubt that becsaue you are in close proximity and using a studio set up at a constant exposure (Unless I assumed wrongly and you were doing roving outdoor images).

It does say in the manual that after turning on the TCU and receivers, you must take one shot for the TCU to "learn." It also says that any changes in exposure or camera setting will affect exposure too. It says to turn the unit off and back on after changes. It also states not to make any changes tot eh in camera flash settings. They should all be default, and they mention 2nd curtain specifically. I did have my in camera function set to 2nd curtain. And, the tests were done with 2nd curtain. so I will test again. However, I would be very surprised if that made any difference.

May 20, 2013 at 05:37 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Phottix Odin

dwdallam wrote:
Brad,

I don't doubt that becsaue you are in close proximity and using a studio set up at a constant exposure (Unless I assumed wrongly and you were doing roving outdoor images).

It does say in the manual that after turning on the TCU and receivers, you must take one shot for the TCU to "learn." It also says that any changes in exposure or camera setting will affect exposure too. It says to turn the unit off and back on after changes. It also states not to make any changes tot eh in camera flash settings. They should all be default,
...Show more

I was doing roving outdoor location shooting in urban environment. My post wasn't in response to your previous post.. I was just adding my experience so far to the Odin thread.

brad

May 20, 2013 at 06:26 PM
dwdallam
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Phottix Odin

DigMeTX wrote:
I was doing roving outdoor location shooting in urban environment. My post wasn't in response to your previous post.. I was just adding my experience so far to the Odin thread.

brad

Brad, understood. How far were your distances?

May 20, 2013 at 07:15 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password