Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Phottix Odin

DGC1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Phottix Odin

Anybody using this? Web reviews are mostly favorable. Any thoughts from actual users?

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Gord SW Ont

p.1 #2 · Phottix Odin

Noticed no one answered your post so thought I'd just say that the Phottix Odin meets all my needs and I'm very happy with it.

I bought the Pixel Kings first but while they worked okay it was tedious working through the menu system of my camera. I returned them when I had trouble updating the firmware.

I bought the Odins based on many of the positive reviews/recommendations online and all I can say is that I agree as the Odins are soooo much easier to use via the TCU, etc and so far the results i have got have been great!

In addition, working via the Odin's transmitter control unit (TCU) saves a lot of wear & tear on my camera buttons. ;^)

Edited on Mar 05, 2013 at 09:35 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:41 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #3 · Phottix Odin

Thanks.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:14 AM
Jay Connor
• •
p.1 #4 · Phottix Odin

DG1

I have both the Pocket Wizards and the Odins and for my purposes the Odins are far superior

Jay

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:00 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Phottix Odin

Jay Connor wrote:
DG1

I have both the Pocket Wizards and the Odins and for my purposes the Odins are far superior

Jay

How? Not everyone's "superior" criteria is the same so please elaborate your perspective.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:58 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #6 · Phottix Odin

I have the Odins (for Nikon) and they work very well. Mind you, they are the first wireless triggers I have used, so I cannot compare them to anything else. But they work as advertised for all the promised features.

They tend to be very easy to use. The big LCD screen is well laid out and everything is easy to read. The ONLY issue I have ever had with them has been dead batteries in the units and they obviously won't work with dead batteries. If the batteries are fresh, they work everytime as expected.

The range is tremendous. As a test, I walked as far down my street as I could (perhaps 400m away) and they worked fine. I could not go any further and still see the flash go off because of a turn in the road or I would have continued to see how far I could get away from the flash. It is certainly far enough for any real world use of off camera flash that I can think of.

They may not be as feature rich as the Pocket Wizards, but they work very well and deliver on all their promised features.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:19 PM
monsoon
• •
p.1 #7 · Phottix Odin

Gord SW Ont wrote:
I bought the Pixel Kings
I bought the Odins

Did you buy from a Canadian store?
THanks

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Gord SW Ont

p.1 #8 · Phottix Odin

I bought the Kings from the local Henry's Camera and the Odins from the canadian ebay website (C&S Holdings I believe ... great service and a decent price).

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:52 AM
monsoon
• •
p.1 #9 · Phottix Odin

Gord SW Ont wrote:
I bought the Kings from the local Henry's Camera and the Odins from the canadian ebay website (C&S Holdings I believe ... great service and a decent price).

Thanks for the info!

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:52 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #10 · Phottix Odin

Mine arrived today from Outdoor Photo Gear. So far so good, they work like a champ!

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr.Konstantin
• •
p.1 #11 · Phottix Odin

Enjoy them! You will not regret your purchase.

Its also great to see Phottix actually updating Odin's with new and improved firmware.

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:47 PM
luckyspikes

p.1 #12 · Phottix Odin

I use one with my SB900. I love the fact that i can set the power from 1/128 to 1/1 with 1/3 stop increments. It can set ratio for two groups in TTL mode (huge !!!).

My only concern is that the test button does not fire the flash at the power you've selected. From Phottix support "it can't be achieved". It's annoying when you use a flash meter.

(excuse me for my poor english).

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:33 AM
pharmasea
• •
p.1 #13 · Phottix Odin

I had used the pocket wizard tt5 and tt1's and was not happy. They worked intermittently even when following the instructions to the T. I changed to the Odins and could not be happier.

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:47 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Phottix Odin

I have the Pocket Wizard TT5 and I am VERY happy with them. No regrets what so ever.

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:46 PM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #15 · Phottix Odin

I just bought these and got them in the mail a few days ago. I upgraded to the Phottix Odin from the basic Cowboy Studio eBay triggers which started my career in off-camera flash photography.
These save me so much time from having to continuously take down and put back up my stands when I have to figure out my manual exposure from my speedlights. Plus the high-speed sync will let me be more creative with my expanded shutter speeds up to 1/8000. So far they work to perfection and I highly recommend them.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:00 AM
ozpall
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Phottix Odin

I got the Nikon version and works great, now I'm Waiting for the mitros flash!!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:04 PM
rellimjt1

p.1 #17 · Phottix Odin

I was considering buying the Pocket Wizards but after reading the reviews of the Phottix Odin along with seeing them in use from a fellow photographer, I purchased the Odins.
I have been using the basic Cowboy Studio triggers and shooting with manual flash. Did some test shots yesterday and they never failed to fire even at 200'. (They are rated for 330'+ but 200' was the length of the warehouse I was at).

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:16 AM
cbusjer

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Phottix Odin

I have them and the only disadvantage I've found is lack of auto focus assist light... but I'm getting a bracket and mounting a 580EX II with transmitter on it :-)

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:47 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #19 · Phottix Odin

cbusjer wrote:
I have them and the only disadvantage I've found is lack of auto focus assist light... but I'm getting a bracket and mounting a 580EX II with transmitter on it :-)

Exactly. They had AF assist lamp on the prototype but removed it on the production model. I have searched long and hard for a manual only or ETTL radio trigger. Pixel has one but from the reviews I read it's weak. What's interesting is there's a new comer:

http://bit.ly/13LoVft

It doesn't have AF either and for manual mode it does only 1 stop adjustment (they ran out of space on the LCD? ), maybe they will update it with firmware with the 1/3 capability like the Odin, at least it has a pass through hot shoe so a flash or ST-E2 can be used for AF assist. I can't find anyone selling it in states on ebay, there's one German photo site selling the trigger/receiver for 199.

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Phottix Odin

This Dazzne Kody TTL seems to be very attractive... first regarding the cost (in Europe Odin is about 50% expensive) and then because of the hot shoe on the trigger. In a few months I'll be shopping an iTTL triggering system and is good to know that there are more options. By that time I hope to see more reviews of Dazzne Kody.

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:48 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password