Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

This was taken last fall up in Northern Michigan along the Keweenaw Peninsula. It's a two shot blend for the bright areas of the sky.

What do you think? C&C welcome. Oh, and I posted the story of getting this one below.

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Backstory:

Man this shot beat me up!

It started off easy enough, just some pleasant scouting one fall afternoon. I really liked the way everything looked and, hey, what-do-ya-know, the next day a gale was predicted

Well, I can't resist that, so the following day I come for some sweet sunset light. Unfortunately, the great light I was hoping for never made an appearance, but there were some nice waves and ominous clouds hanging in the sky. I was actually pretty happy with the shot...

However...

Couldn't help but notice...

Just kind of occurred to me...

The wind was forecast to shift overnight and that should make for better waves...

AND...

The sun just so happens to come up in a good area compositionally.

Hmm...

Now, the decision had to be made - do I drive back to the hotel (an hour away), then drive BACK before dawn the next morning to try again - when I already had a good shot?

Well, I can't live with myself knowing that I might be passing up a great photo, so back up I drove early the next morning.

Oh - and yeah, it had snowed overnight and the roads were covered, so I needed to leave even earlier (2 hours before dawn). It was painfully slow going (the clock constantly working against me towards sunrise) and there was an occasional snow squall to remind me that I was still in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I finally made it to the lighthouse and started shooting shortly before dawn. The wind was amazingly strong (the gale had gotten a bit more ambitious overnight) and I had to keep a hand on my tripod at all times or it would be swept over the ledge to a rocky, aquatic grave. (Actually, I had to watch my footing as well, the wind seemed determined to blow ME over the ledge too!)

At this point, a vicious rain / snow mix had started - blowing horizontally across my exposed position on the ledge. It was all I could do to keep the camera dry enough to shoot as my jacket and clothes snapped with the wind. The only glimmer of luck was the wind was square to my back.

About 10-15 minutes or so after sunrise, this photo happened. The sky, only for a few moments, lit up with this eerie looking light. It was over in just a few minutes but it was enough to make this image - and to make me smile with my big, stupid, "I just got a good photo" grin.

I lingered there for a bit - you never know what might happen with the light. About 30 minutes after sunrise someone else showed up and quickly took a snapshot from a more protected location, looked at me like I was a nut job, and scurried away. Hey, other than that I had the place to myself

It was then I noticed the back of my legs were really stinging. I looked around and oops - the back of my pants were totally soaked from the rain and snow. With the wind whipping at near 40MPH, the temps in the upper 20s (no clue about the windchill - I don't wanna know), I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise that my legs were gonna start hurting from the bitter cold.

I stayed another 10 minutes or so (by this time it I had been out for over an hour), and finally called it done. I was soaked, cold, and NOT looking forward to the 5 hour drive ahead of me, but man, WHAT A MORNING!

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:14 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

This is stunning. But my only nit pick is the sensor dust on the top right edge.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

ghdarnell wrote:
This is stunning. But my only nit pick is the sensor dust on the top right edge.

D'oh! Missed that! All fixed and thanks for your comment

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:27 PM
vibhav
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

This is fabulous shot... love everything about it!

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:05 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Fully worth all the effort. Sweet shot Steve.
harsha

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:11 PM
GFountain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Steve. I'd say the effort you put in paid off in a stunning capture. Congratulations!

Greg

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:37 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Wow...what a great capture! Very powerful image.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Steve,
Love it. i hope you're printing this one big on canvas.

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:19 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

I love the slow shutter water and the composition, the reds seem oversaturated to me.

Morris

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:56 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

It may or may not look realistic, but I don't care about that. It is a gorgeous photo.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:56 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

I was going to say the same - not realistic - but what a beautiful work of art. At least on my screen the red roof is a little over the top - maybe a little reduction of red luminance?
Dave

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:25 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Amazing effort and result Steve!

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:02 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

great job Steve, the story is the icing.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:20 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Great shot Steve. Your work is amazing.

Todd

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

great story with a great photo to back it up!

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:05 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Hey Steve,

Thanks for sharing the story, it was an interesting read. This is one very cool shot, your processing is very well done. It almost looks more like a painting, but that's really cool. Good work.

Jim

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

I'm fascinated by this image. When on vacation I try my best to chase lighthouses, that doesn't mean that I will get an opportunity like this ever but the thought of it is now well planted

I love the drama, the texture and the strength in color and play of light wow!
If you don't mind perhaps you could share a little bit of how you processed this image with me, would appreciate a pointing in the direction you took to experiment with.......

Great shot and story!
Karl in Ohio

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:07 AM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Awesome shot, Steve! I'm glad you made it back to share

It's very dramatic. In fact, if you didn't say so in the post, it has an HDR look to it. A lot of the public loves that. We here at FM are split. Like above, I wonder about the reds, too. And perhaps a smidge darker lighthouse. But that's if you wanted a realistic look.

It works either way for me, though.

Kevin

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:00 AM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Eagle Harbor Stormy Sunrise

Congratulations on this one, Steve. A morning you'll never forget for sure!
It's a spectacular scene and I really love the way you've captured the water.

Wayne

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.