Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

New sensor from Canon!!
Canon announced today that the company has successfully developed a high-sensitivity 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor exclusively for video recording.

"Delivering high-sensitivity, low-noise imaging performance, the new Canon 35 mm CMOS sensor*1 enables the capture of Full HD video even in exceptionally low-light environments.

The newly developed CMOS sensor features pixels measuring 19 microns square in size, which is more than 7.5-times the surface area of the pixels on the CMOS sensor incorporated in Canon’s top-of-the-line EOS-1D X and other digital SLR cameras. In addition, the sensor’s pixels and readout circuitry employ new technologies that reduce noise, which tends to increase as pixel size increases."
  • Full frame 35mm
  • 16:9 format
  • Hyper low light sensitive – even larger pixels than EOS-1D X sensor
  • Prototype to be shown in Japan between 5th-8th March
Read the entire news release

Prototype camera incorporating the newly developed 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor

The newly developed 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor for video use

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:17 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Sadly it's for video, but an interesting read, and also interesting that Canon should bother to announce this..??

-------------

Canon Inc. announced today that the company has successfully developed a high-sensitivity 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor exclusively for video recording. Delivering high-sensitivity, low-noise imaging performance, the new Canon 35 mm CMOS sensor*1 enables the capture of Full HD video even in exceptionally low-light environments.

The newly developed CMOS sensor features pixels measuring 19 microns square in size, which is more than 7.5-times the surface area of the pixels on the CMOS sensor incorporated in Canon’s top-of-the-line EOS-1D X and other digital SLR cameras. In addition, the sensor’s pixels and readout circuitry employ new technologies that reduce noise, which tends to increase as pixel size increases. Thanks to these technologies, the sensor facilitates the shooting of clearly visible video images even in dimly lit environments with as little as 0.03 lux of illumination, or approximately the brightness of a crescent moon—a level of brightness in which it is difficult for the naked eye to perceive objects. When recording video of astral bodies, while an electron-multiplying CCD,*2 which realizes approximately the same level of perception as the naked eye, can capture magnitude-6 stars, Canon’s newly developed CMOS sensor is capable of recording faint stars with a magnitude of 8.5 and above.*3

Using a prototype camera employing the newly developed sensor, Canon successfully captured a wide range of test video,*4 such as footage recorded in a room illuminated only by the light from burning incense sticks (approximately 0.05–0.01 lux) and video of the Geminid meteor shower. The company is looking to such future applications for the new sensor as astronomical and natural observation, support for medical research, and use in surveillance and security equipment. Through the further development of innovative CMOS sensors, Canon aims to expand the world of new imaging expression.

Canon Marketing Japan Inc. will be exhibiting a prototype camera that incorporates the newly developed 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor and sample footage captured with the camera at SECURITY SHOW 2013, which will be held from Tuesday, March 5, to Friday, March 8, at the Tokyo International Exhibition Center in Tokyo, Japan.

An imaging element (aspect ratio: 16:9) that supports the largest image circle size possible when shooting with a Canon EF lens.
A CCD sensor with a readout mechanism that multiplies electrons after being converted from light. Applications include nighttime surveillance and the capture of astral bodies and nighttime nature scenes.
The brightness of a star decreases 2.5-times with each 1 magnitude increase.
Recording of test video footage was made possible through cooperation from ZERO Corporation.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Thanks for posting.

Key phrase "pixels and readout circuitry employ new technologies that reduce noise".

Link to Google translation of the Japanese Zero Corporation, which makes nature and science videos.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:05 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Monito wrote:
Key phrase "pixels and readout circuitry employ new technologies that reduce noise".

Yes. I spotted that.. but I didn't want to read too much into it in case it's not what I was thinking

Looks like they are working on sensors though.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:06 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Looks like they are working on sensors though.

Great!

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:55 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

This sounds similar to the pixel strategy they employed in their 1/3" HD CMOS Pro sensors, which is available in camcorders like the G10.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:04 AM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Sadly it's for video, but an interesting read, and also interesting that Canon should bother to announce this..??

I bet Canon can make a fortune out of this chip, maybe they can earn enough to start look into some high DR stuff for their ageing 35 sensors !

Not sure why this is news for the DSLR section though...

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Yang Ye
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Anybody please explain to me why this can not be used for DSLR? Is it a low megapixel sensor?

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:30 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

It seems to be a low MP sensor, from how I read it..

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:38 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Love the retro black box camera btw haha!

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:40 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

With 19um square pixels, this means a 24x36mm version of this sensor (normal "full frame") would have a pixel count of (24/.019)x(36/.019) = 1263*1895 = 2.4 megapixels. Since Canon says the sensor is actually 16:9 ratio, I bet it's set to be exactly 1080p: 1080x1920 pixels = 2.1 megapixels.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:44 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

"When recording video of astral bodies, while an electron-multiplying CCD,*2 which realizes approximately the same level of perception as the naked eye, can capture magnitude-6 stars, Canon’s newly developed CMOS sensor is capable of recording faint stars with a magnitude of 8.5 and above."

This could herald a whole new generation of super sensitive full frame DSLRs for still night photography. A few years down the line we could be looking at some VERY exciting low light high ISO performance!

", the sensor facilitates the shooting of clearly visible video images even in dimly lit environments with as little as 0.03 lux of illumination, or approximately the brightness of a crescent moon—a level of brightness in which it is difficult for the naked eye to perceive objects"

I shoot in such low light all the time and will therefore await developments with huge interest. Most exciting Canon announcement for a very long time, hell its the most exciting announcement to me by any DSLR maker for a long time. I will try to control my excitement!

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:08 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

yep if the pixel are 19 microns square then unless I am mistaken they are close to twice the size of the pixel size that was used in the original Canon 1D series. If I remember right the pixel size in the original 1D was 10.8 x 10.8.

Jason

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:52 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

David Baldwin wrote:
"When recording video of astral bodies, while an electron-multiplying CCD,*2 which realizes approximately the same level of perception as the naked eye, can capture magnitude-6 stars, Canon’s newly developed CMOS sensor is capable of recording faint stars with a magnitude of 8.5 and above."

This could herald a whole new generation of super sensitive full frame DSLRs for still night photography. A few years down the line we could be looking at some VERY exciting low light high ISO performance!

", the sensor facilitates the shooting of clearly visible video images even in dimly lit environments with as little as 0.03
...Show more

An epic response!

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:56 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Low ISO improvements, too?

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:32 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

That is one ugly camera body.

http://www.canon.com/news/2013/img/mar04b.jpg

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:54 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

I don't know how I missed the linked video, but now I've seen it seems clear to me that a massive revolution in still night photography is just around the corner. Fast lenses and tracking mounts for pictorial work might be obsolete technology in a few years. Perhaps we will soon be photographing stars, handheld, with f4 zooms. Seems tantalizingly close, and I would be prepared to lose megapixels to get this technology sooner rather than later.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:00 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., March 04, 2013 – Canon Fake Press Release, a leader in digital imaging, is proud to introduce a completely revolutionized EOS-1D series camera, the Canon EOS-1D B (Box) Digital SLR camera.

As the new leader in Canon’s arsenal of professional DSLRs, the EOS-1D B will be a high-speed multimedia juggernaut replacing all Canon EOS cameras in the lineup.

The 1D B was the created as a result of our designers and engineers being told not to think outside the box and after many late nights consisting of nothing but coffee and takeaway food the team just gave up and figured that a camera was just a box used to capture light resulting in the chic retro design which is sure to appeal to all users. The addition of this new model will help take this tradition to a whole new level.

The EOS-1D B announcement comes on the heels of Canon’s recent manufacturing milestone with the production of the Company’s 50-millionth EOS-series SLR camera in September of 2011. Furthermore, Canon will achieve yet another milestone at the end of this month producing the 70-millionth EF lens.

“The EOS-1D B represents the re-invention of the EOS-1Ds and EOS-1D series, combining new proprietary Canon technologies with the culmination of customer feedback and requests from the field that we totally ignored."

"We are proud to introduce this camera to the worldwide community of professional photographers and cinematographers with the features and capabilities they need to capture the great moments that display their talent,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.

Pricing and Availability

The Canon EOS-1D B is not scheduled for availability and will be sold in a box only configuration at an estimated retail price of $50,800.00 Paint is $5000 extra and is available in any colour of your choice*

*As long as it's black.

Additional images

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/99/781799.jpg

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/00/781800.jpg

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 04:40 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Yang Ye wrote:
Anybody please explain to me why this can not be used for DSLR? Is it a low megapixel sensor?

Yes it's only 2MP, which is why the pixels are so massive; no downsampling to produce the HD video.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:40 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

M Lucca wrote:

That is one ugly camera body.

http://www.canon.com/news/2013/img/mar04b.jpg

And to think those who complain about the ergonomics of the 6D!

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:41 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.