Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · best collapsible background

superblue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · best collapsible background

Guys,.looking for a large collapsible white background around the 7ft x8ft mark, now I've seen a lot out there but don't want to have to iron the thing each time I use it can anyone recommend a good one at a reasonable price? Or if you have one for sale drop me a pm Cheers

Martin

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:26 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · best collapsible background

Take a look at the Impact Collapsible Backgrounds from B&H. $58 for either the black or white in 5x7(may be too small for your needs/wants), or $70 for one that has both black and white sides.

Link

The next size jumps to 8x16 for $100.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #3 · best collapsible background

Calumet sells one that goes 8x8 (muslin) and its stretches pretty good, at least in the pics. You will have to call them and discuss the wrinkle factor.

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:57 PM
ilan_k
• •
p.1 #4 · best collapsible background

I have the Botero - It looks the same as the Impact product.
If you plan to blow the highlights on the whote side you'll be good but if you want to use it as underexposed white background to get it gray-ish the wrinkles can be issue.
For me it's very useful for taking on-location simple headshots on a white (blown) background because it collapses to nice small size and the wrinkles mean nothing for me.

I haven't tried different brands but i'm very skeptical if you can find a collapsible background without wrinkle issue. If you do i'll be more than happy if you share it with me.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · best collapsible background

Martin,

Check this one. The size you want is good for 3/4, headshots but just in case you need to do full body shots or shoot two people or if you need a base, check this one out. It fold and stores to a pretty decent small size.

Impact Large Background

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:19 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #6 · best collapsible background

Thanks to all of you very much I will be blowing out the background so if it wrinkles that's not too much of a problem i suppose, i do like the lastolite gear along with their hi-lite background, but they cost Thanks again guys, i'll check out your tips

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:32 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #7 · best collapsible background

You asked about "the best"... Without question.. Most bang for the buck, so freekin flexible in it's way you can use it.

The LastoLite HiLite. Available in 2 sizes.. I recommend the larger.

I bought one of these 2 years ago and although a bit fidgety for setup and put away, this thing rocks hard all day long. Combine this with a white train.. (I used a roll up solid window shade I glued velcro to) and it's a total high key portable/in-studio solution.

I have even placed garments on it and stood over top of it to shoot products. I've gelled it to alter the background color, I've used the reverse side to get a black/grey, I've placed it sideways to get lay down shots, I've used it as a HUGE softbox natural light window replacement, I've hung it over motorcycles to light them..... It's like a pair of light 'vise-grips'

Run.. don't walk to get this in your kit. A bit pricey, but nothing compares to this.

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #8 · best collapsible background

I like and use the Westcott X-Drop...light to carry around and sets up easy. It does have a large footprint though....
http://fjwestcott.com/product-category/photo-basics/photo-basics-backdrops/x-drop-backdrops/

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:54 AM
thumphrey

p.1 #9 · best collapsible background

Lastolite HiLite......bigger the better.

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:45 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #10 · best collapsible background

Thanks again guys! I went to Focus On Imaging show in Birmingham UK on Wednesday & saw what you can do with the HiLite, no doubt It's a great product

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #11 · best collapsible background

Jim Cowsert - is it possible to use the x-drop without the rear legs sticking out? In other words - say I'm lacking room and I want to set it up flat (without the rear legs extended) and then gaffer tape the flattened frame to the wall. Is that possible?

Also, how many feet does it take up from front to back when the rear legs are extended?

Thanks!

Brad

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:40 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #12 · best collapsible background

DigMeTX wrote:
Jim Cowsert - is it possible to use the x-drop without the rear legs sticking out? In other words - say I'm lacking room and I want to set it up flat (without the rear legs extended) and then gaffer tape the flattened frame to the wall. Is that possible?

Also, how many feet does it take up from front to back when the rear legs are extended?

Thanks!

Brad

Brad,
You will need about 4' clearance from a back wall to use the X-Drop. The legs on the base extend together, so you wouldn't be able to use it as a flat frame. The only time I've had problems is when I set it up in a small room which sometimes makes it a tight shoot.
Overall I'm very happy with the system, just wish they had more varieties on their backdrops. To get around that I've bought my own materials and cut them down to the same size as their backgrounds 5'x7', stamped in some grommets and have my own Red, Blue, and Lt.Blue solid backgrounds.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:23 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #13 · best collapsible background

Thanks, Jim. What about the quality of the backdrops. Do they wrinkle easily? Any problems with them?

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #14 · best collapsible background

DigMeTX wrote:
Thanks, Jim. What about the quality of the backdrops. Do they wrinkle easily? Any problems with them?

The backdrops are good...they store rolled or folded up in the bag with the support stand and don't show wrinkles.

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:50 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · best collapsible background

John Skinner wrote:
...The LastoLite HiLite. Available in 2 sizes.

They have four sizes currently: Model 8990 -- 1.4m x 1m (4'6" x 3'6"), Model 8857 -- 1.5m x 2.15m (5 x 7), Model 8867 -- 1.8m x 2.15m (6 x 7), and Model 8878 -- 2.5m x 2.15m (8' x 7').

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · best collapsible background

DigMeTX wrote:
...is it possible to use the x-drop without the rear legs sticking out? ...Also, how many feet does it take up from front to back when the rear legs are extended?

Westcott has a 3-minute video promo on YouTube that you may find interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw-LOoxKd30

Here's a frame grab from 34 seconds into the video that shows how the frame sets up:

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #17 · best collapsible background

Cool. Thanks!

brad

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:36 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #18 · best collapsible background

Hmmm, space is of the essence for me so currently leaning towards one of the lastolite HiLites or the 6x9ft collapsible backgrounds that lastolite do & are sold at b&h, gotta say though that the x-drop looks excellent value & an easy set up, I just need something to go up against a wall

Mar 11, 2013 at 05:31 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · best collapsible background

superblue wrote:
...the x-drop looks excellent value & an easy set up, I just need something to go up against a wall

You could get an X-Drop and remove the brace that runs to the third leg, replacing it with a strap for support when in use. That would allow you to extend the two main legs to stretch the fabric but leave the third leg collapsed so you can lean the whole thing aginst a wall.

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:34 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #20 · best collapsible background

Now there's a thought Brian, I like your thinking could you provide a link as to where I can get the largest one? Thanks

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:03 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password