Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

mpmendenhall
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

JimUe wrote:
how about an 85/1.2 ?

Available 85/1.2 lenses are only "really" f1.2 in a very small area around the center; because of vignetting away from the center, you get smaller blur discs and less light transmission equivalent to a considerably slower lens over most of the frame area. An 85/1.4 with relaxed cost and weight limitations, allowing for "oversized" elements that would transmit the full f1.4 worth of light to everywhere in the frame, would give images with the "look" of a faster lens than existing 85/1.2's almost everywhere but dead center in the frame.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:28 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

mpmendenhall wrote:
from the weight, or the price?

This is probably the reality I'm very interested in how a modern 28mm like this would perform though considering its wedged between the 25/2 and 35/1.4

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:27 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

28mm is an interesting choice, the correct one in my view. This is a conservative range for professionals wanting the best imaging money can buy in 35mm DSLR. The current lenses are showing weaknesses across the outer parts of the frame on the 36Mp sensor. Consistency is therefore paramount.

28mm is the most useful FL in wide angle, the normal wide if you like. Design constraints will be much less than anything wider, and the lens has a fighting chance of being not too large. If they get cross-frame consistency at f1.4 it will be wonderful for intended purposes - confined spaces, street, near-far, etc. Bokeh will be watched very keenly.

And I guess it signals a new 35mm at some stage, the current lens is very heavy already and not wonderful at frame edges, I am sure they can do better, with a higher $$ target.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:15 AM
alfred_shi

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

Sirfishalot wrote:
I'd love to see a 16-35/2.8 in the ZE mount.

JayT

exactly +1

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:59 AM
magiclight
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

Im sure Zeiss could improve on the current 35mm f1.4. But if bigger means better

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

magiclight wrote:
Im sure Zeiss could improve on the current 35mm f1.4. But if bigger means better

Sorry for the off-topic, but how specifically do you think it needs improvement? I have a few ideas, but I'd like to hear if they coincide with your.

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

mpmendenhall wrote:
I just hope the 28/1.4 isn't proportionally larger to the 55/1.4 as typical 28/1.4s are to 50/1.4s

One can only hope the price increase isn't going to be proportional either.

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:36 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

Zeiss won some awards for their new lenses...design awards rather than technical awards, to which they are more accustomed:

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=3339#more-3339

It is not necessarily a good thing to accentuate design as a separate area from usability, because once you develop an unhealthy attention to the perceptions of users and with making bold appearance statements, this trend can push other, more important aspects to the side in product development, a matter of priority.

Strong design statements also tie a product to a particular time period. Look at US cars from the 1960s and 70s - which sold purely on their appearance, despite them being total death traps in an accident. And bold designs rarely age well enough to become considered classics.

I am not sure the CZ designers are active photographers. Funnel shaped hoods occupy more space, not much perhaps, but it counts when stuffing the lens into a cylindrical bag, so it gets that much harder; when changing lens, the hand naturally grabs the lens with the hood at the back of the hand - this makes dropping it in cold/wet weather more likely, as the body is held facing downwards to minimise ingress of dust/moisture. Large hoods also intimidate subjects, as frequently noted here.

The lack of gnurling may not please nature photographers wearing gloves and its durability is unknown, being surface dependent rather than a physical gnurl.

The flashy new font might work on road signs in Germany, but few photographers need to read lens identifiers in the field, they know the lens by its size/shape. The same applies to aperture stops, which are in any case a VF display.

The new terminological expression of lens speed/focal length (e.g 1.4/55) is counter-intuitive (albeit technically preferable perhaps) as very few photogpraphers use as a lens's primary identifier anything other than focal length, and indeed this is the convention used for the cine lenses shown on this same page. These cine pieces bear large bold inscriptions of '70-200' and '50' very prominently, and dispense with lens speed in these identifiers entirely.

Perhaps the day glow yellow text on the new Distagon assists with very dense fog ;-) The lens has already acquired a glowing endorsement by a respondent in the comments section: 'I personally had the chance to hold the prototype of the Apo 1,4/55mm in my hands and I had a very good handsome feeling.' Handsome, while maybe being lost in translation, generally refers to appearance rather than haptics or ergonomics.

Anyway, the page has some very nice images of these exciting new optics. And I am sure they will be very successful as 'eye candy' in the counter displays around the world soon, and will assist in loosening the purse strings of buyers.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:59 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

Rodluvan wrote:
Sorry for the off-topic, but how specifically do you think it needs improvement? I have a few ideas, but I'd like to hear if they coincide with your.

incorporate more ASPH surface to bring the size down. improve Astigmatism performance at corner.

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

That 70-200 should come available in ZF.2 and ZE versions.

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

WG, it would be very interesting to see if CZ do just that, quite a number of people are very keen to see. It is really Canikon bread and butter territory, would a manual lens that racks out to 200m be a good prospect for modern day AF/IS/VR-addicted photographers?

Or would the market that the lens finds really be ZE shooters looking for a cheaper multiple FL deal to get around buying an 85-100-135-200 set? It will go well for video shooters, perhaps the main target audience, but stills..who knows? I always felt Sony should have commissioned a ZA 70-200 for the IBIS A bodies, to put them on an equal footing with C/N. Equal but better of course. ;-)

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:51 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

In an interview with Bertram Hoenlicher on zeissrumors.com he states that Zeiss is planning longer teles and another macro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rUYWlpe_124

So I think Zeiss does see opportunities with teles.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

Great, I would love to have 180/2.8 or 200/2.8 from CZ.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

zhangyue wrote:
incorporate more ASPH surface to bring the size down. improve Astigmatism performance at corner.

Doesn't it have at least one asph? Anyway, smaller lenses doesn't seem to be where things are headed. I haven't really noticed any Astigmatism, but then again with the type of photog I'm doing I'm unlikely to. I, otoh, would like it to have less distortion. A true "planar" (although being a distagon) from Zeiss would be nice. Only the 1.4/85 lives up to that.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:48 AM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

I wouldn't mind if they kept the modern DSLR lenses as big boys, no compromises in regards to keeping the size down (within reason) and worry about size with the range of lenses they'll release for the FF NEX.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:22 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

wiseguy010 wrote:
In an interview with Bertram Hoenlicher on zeissrumors.com he states that Zeiss is planning longer teles and another macro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rUYWlpe_124

So I think Zeiss does see opportunities with teles.

I hope they bring a longish >100mm focal length 1:1 or more capable macro.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

wayne seltzer wrote:
Hope the new 85/1.4 is designed to render like my Contax N 85/!.4 . That is my favorite zeiss portrait bokeh lens.

It appears that you already have what you are looking for.

The new 1.4/85 will of course be different from the Contax N version, much closer to perfection in the clinical sense.

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:28 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

It's a shame this amazing lens lacks AF as I would purchase it in a heart beat. I'm pretty happy with my Canon 50L but I'm keeping my fingers crossed Canon will come out with a 50 1.0L MK II.

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:03 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

If it's an AF lens, it would focus even slower than the 85/1.2 Mark 1.

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:11 PM
BJNY

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Next Zeiss lenses after 55mm 1.4 Distagon

http://www.canonwatch.com/zeiss-55mm-f1-4-lens-finding-an-aesthetic-dimension-beyond-brand-identity/

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password