Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens kit for wedding D800

rennocneb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens kit for wedding D800

I have the opportunity to do my brothers wedding coming up. I do quite a bit of portrait photography now but this would be a new relm to me. Wandering about a lens kit for this. i think i have most of the bases covered with my current lineup which is in my sig. any further suggestions

Just noticed the sig isnt showing up so here is my current lineup:
D800
D600
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Nikon 85mm F1.4G
Nikon 70-200 F2.8G VRII
Nikon 50mm F1.4g

Lighting wise i have a pair of Paul C. Buff Einsteins with umbrellas and soft boxes. as well as an SB700 with cybersynce triggers

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:27 AM
ADCOLE
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens kit for wedding D800

You would probably get a better response if you have the mods move this to the Wedding Photographer forum.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Don't think you are lacking in the lens or camera department. I would just add another sb700 and be done with it.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:37 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Mykal wrote:
Don't think you are lacking in the lens or camera department. I would just add another sb700 and be done with it.

+1

You could add/rent a wide prime (24/28/35).
My set is:
D800E/D700 24-120VRII, 70-200VRII, 28G and 85G (1.8) with SB900
D800E + 24-120 + SB900 (on a flash bracket) and D700 for primes and/or 70-200

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens kit for wedding D800

rennocneb wrote:
I have the opportunity to do my brothers wedding coming up. I do quite a bit of portrait photography now but this would be a new relm to me. Wandering about a lens kit for this. i think i have most of the bases covered with my current lineup which is in my sig. any further suggestions

Just noticed the sig isnt showing up so here is my current lineup:
D800
D600
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Nikon 85mm F1.4G
Nikon 70-200 F2.8G VRII
Nikon 50mm F1.4g

Lighting wise i have a pair of Paul C. Buff Einsteins with umbrellas and soft boxes. as well as an SB700 with cybersynce
...Show more
Do yourself a huge favor and shoot what you have. It's more than enough and introducing new gear into your kit for such an important event is silly. If anything follow the advice of adding a second flash.

Btw I shoot weddings for a living.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:25 PM
nick53097
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens kit for wedding D800

You have all you need
Another SB700 may help (if you going to use two bodies)

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:45 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens kit for wedding D800

That's enough. I'd agree that adding a second flash is a good idea. You don't want it to break and have no backup.

I shoot weddings too..

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rennocneb
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens kit for wedding D800

i typically find myself using the actaul strobes to the flash for what i do. I suspect for all posed shots at the wedding i would tend to do the same since its what im used to. The sb700 is rarely used now is there something im missing at a wedding where the flashes may be more used than standard studio strobes? i just assumed during the ceremony i would only be allowed to shoot available light typically.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Mykal wrote:

The SB-700 does not have quite enough power for a wedding. I've been using the SB-900 for the past year and it has never let me down. Put a mini softbox on it or a Gary Fong. Unmodified, the light is very harsh. While most churches don't allow flash during the ceremony, a good flash is still essential. You also need at least three sets of batteries for everything you use that takes batteries. You never know.

Something else I'll mention is that most hobby photographers look at weddings from a gear standpoint. Yes, with the exception of an SB-900, your f2.8 zooms are good enough. However, few hobby shooters are prepared for the volume of shooting and just how fast paced it is. They also don't have an understanding of just how chaotic and high pressured the shooting is. It requires a high degree of organization. Very, very high. I usually crank out about 2,000 shots per wedding, and I'm not a full time pro. They might do twice that. The off camera flash is critical for the formals, but don't kid yourself that just having lights is enough. You also have to know what to do with them for groups large and small. It's difficult working with tired people who are in a hurry to leave, and relatives that might be jumping in and screwing you up. Unlike portraits, you can't go back and reshoot a wedding if you screw it up. There are a hundred ways to screw up and not realize it at the time. Weddings are about 25% gear, 25% skill, and 50% discipline. While all chaos is going on, you must not lose your focus. It's not easy coming up with creative shots under those conditions.

Kent in SD

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:56 PM
bortoni
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Maybe something a little wider than 28mm. A 24mm f/1.4?

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:27 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Two23 wrote:
Very, very high. I usually crank out about 2,000 shots per wedding, and I'm not a full time pro.

Why would a pro shoot more shots at a wedding than a part-timer shooting a wedding?

brad

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Two23 wrote:
The SB-700 does not have quite enough power for a wedding.

I have used the SB-700 to shoot over 100 weddings. Using Iso 800-3200 and bouncing I have not found the SB-700 lacking in power.

To the OP photographers styles are different. I shoot the reception with bounced flash so I need an on camera flash. I also need a backup flash in case something goes wrong with the one being used.

There are others that shoot a reception with studio strobes.

Neither way is right or wrong. Different strokes for different folks.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens kit for wedding D800

Mykal wrote:
I have used the SB-700 to shoot over 100 weddings. Using Iso 800-3200 and bouncing I have not found the SB-700 lacking in power.

There are others that shoot a reception with studio strobes.

Neither way is right or wrong. Different strokes for different folks.

I've only shot seven in the past year, but that's enough to at least have an opinion. I always use a mini-softbox on the flash to soften the light. I will sometimes bounce off the ceiling, but I've become very cautious about that after doing that at a reception where it turned out the ceiling had a weird color cast to it. I often pair the SB-900 with my 70--200mm VR for long distance shots at receptions. This allows me to stand on a ladder at the edge of the room and shoot the cake cutting etc. and stay completely out of everyone's way. I have tried the SB-700 and it just didn't have enough juice for that sort of thing. The SB-900 can send a mighty blast a long ways, even through a modifier! Keeping in mind the OP is only talking about doing one wedding here, he could get by with an SB-700 if he ramped up ISO. I'd still want a good diffuser on the head though. As for shooting a reception with monolights, I have tried that. I put lights on 13 ft. stands in all four corners and set them into two groups. I got weird shadows a few times and just went back to the on-camera SB-900. Really, it's shadows showing up where I don't want them that have caused me more problems than any other single thing. I've gotten a lot better, with experience.

Kent in SD

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:19 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens kit for wedding D800

My wedding rig: D800, 24-70, D7000 with 70-200VRI

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password