Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Giottos Lava Fiber tripod

smcdmc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Giottos Lava Fiber tripod

I have the opportunity to get a Giottos lava fiber MT 7271 tripod. Legs only, no head. Problem is I can't find any info on it as far as value. It has been discontinued. I would like to find out what retail was when it is new and what it should sell for now. Also, was it replaced with a similar model or why was it discontinued.

Shane

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Giottos Lava Fiber tripod

These tripods are similar to Gitzo's Basalt tripods. The idea was to create a material that is lighter than aluminum, but not quite as light as carbon fiber. Personally, I found the Giottos Lava tripods to have way too much flex. The material is indeed light, but it is far less rigid than Carbon Fiber. When you set the tripod up to full height and grab two legs near the top, it takes very little torsional force to make the legs flex significantly. If you try this with a good carbon fiber tripod, you'll find that the legs are far more rigid. This comes into play when shooting outside in any amount of wind, or when setting the camera up in water. If you confine the tripod to studio use, it's no big deal, but most people who buy a light tripod do so because they plan on using it outdoors in the elements.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:26 AM
svopen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Giottos Lava Fiber tripod

I have a Giottos lava tripod, not that particular model, but I agree with Ben, it does flex a little too much for my liking. I don't use it often so I have no reason to replace it but if I were to start over, I would have gotten a better tripod. I got mine cheap so I can't complain too much.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:19 AM
Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Giottos Lava Fiber tripod

fwiw i thought you were talking to yourself (same avatar).

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password