Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · WA543 Food

alohadave
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · WA543 Food

I think you either need to completely eliminate the background, or move your board so that it shows a kitchenesque scene in the background.

Is that the texture of the knife? From the angles that you are showing it, it looks dirty, covered in juice from whatever you were cutting before. Granted, there is a cut tomato right behind the knife, but there is no juice on the cutting board, so it looks like you used a dirty knife.

If that's what the knife looks like, fine, but perhaps a different angle where the texture of the surface isn't exaggerated so much.

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:07 PM
beavens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · WA543 Food

alohadave wrote:
I think you either need to completely eliminate the background, or move your board so that it shows a kitchenesque scene in the background.

Is that the texture of the knife? From the angles that you are showing it, it looks dirty, covered in juice from whatever you were cutting before. Granted, there is a cut tomato right behind the knife, but there is no juice on the cutting board, so it looks like you used a dirty knife.

If that's what the knife looks like, fine, but perhaps a different angle where the texture of the surface isn't exaggerated so much.

Dave - good point with the background that does nothing to add to the image.

As far as the knife goes - yes, that's how it's supposed to look. I can assure you that it's not dirty at all.

I really like the texture, personally. But I have definitely had people think that my knife is some throwaway junker and not a nice piece of Japanese steel.

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · WA543 Food

+1 @ good steel. I could see that ... but at first glance, I was unsure @ dirty too.

In that regard, sometimes we have to help our viewer a bit more than we otherwise might think we need to. In that, the detail of the knife isn't sufficient to show the viewer (readily/easily) the quality of the knife. While we might know that it is such a knife, it does come across a dirty without scrutiny and awareness of layered steel (pseuldo Damascus) in knife making.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:24 PM
beavens
• • •
p.2 #4 · WA543 Food

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ good steel. I could see that ... but at first glance, I was unsure @ dirty too.

In that regard, sometimes we have to help our viewer a bit more than we otherwise might think we need to. In that, the detail of the knife isn't sufficient to show the viewer (readily/easily) the quality of the knife. While we might know that it is such a knife, it does come across a dirty without scrutiny and awareness of layered steel (pseuldo Damascus) in knife making.

Another good point - one which I hope to remember going forward.

Assumption is the mother of all f ups, right?

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alohadave
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · WA543 Food

beavens wrote:
As far as the knife goes - yes, that's how it's supposed to look. I can assure you that it's not dirty at all.

I really like the texture, personally. But I have definitely had people think that my knife is some throwaway junker and not a nice piece of Japanese steel.

I thought so, just wanted to make sure.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · WA543 Food

It an be tough sometimes to present that which we already know.

I think the classic example of this is the image of the "spec" in the distance. The person (budding shutterbug snapshots) who took the image was there and knows what the "spec" is and thinks their viewer should see it with the same passion as they have for it. Meanwhile, we just see a spec and politely say "Oh, now I see it." after being told what it is.

While this image isn't remotely close to the "spec" ... the concept of already knowing what our viewer doesn't is one that routinely prevails for us to consider how our message/point will be perceived from our viewer's perspective rather than our own.

Skarkowtsky wrote:
You're giving both elements too much emphasis. Decide what should tell the story, the knife, or the end result: the recently diced fresh vegetable.

This doesn't mean the knife should not be in the composition, but rather that it shouldn't exceed its secondary role.

John has a good read on things here. With this being an image for the WA with the subject theme of food, I feel like you're really wanting to show us a strong image of your knife, but got caught in "no man's land" not wanting to "stray" too far from the food by making the knife dominant. I'd like to see an unrestricted, strong presentation where your knife is prominently shown (unlimited, i.e. with/without food props, etc.) and there is no longer an uncertainty as to who the star of the shot is supposed to be.

The WA is about challenging ourselves to grow ... in the spirit of that, I'd extend that to challenge yourself to present an image(s) that leaves no doubt as to the excellence of your fine cutlery. Easier said, than done ... go for it ... growth awaits.

Edited on Mar 08, 2013 at 02:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:32 PM
beavens
• • •
p.2 #7 · WA543 Food

alohadave wrote:
I thought so, just wanted to make sure.

In doing so you raised a valid point and taught me something.

So, thanks. :P

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password