Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · D3s focus issues

Brandon Mizar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D3s focus issues

So I bought a used D3s off the boards and I noticed the auto focus is really lethargic and misses a lot of shots. In comparison my D700 with the same AF settings nails everything and is very fast. I noticed as I am focusing the highlighted focal point will start flickering and then slowly start fading out and then eventually disappears until I select a different focal point. The fading out process then starts over on any focus point.

I can focus on something using continuous and have something locked in. I will then switch focal points and attempt to focus and it will just sit there for about 5 seconds before it decides to focus on something else. I have changed the focus tracking settings from slow to fast and it is still the same. The camera just acts slow all around and will have to turn it on and off to get it to unfreeze. I have tried many lenses and it is all the same.

Any ideas or am I going to need to send it in?

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Mataz426
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D3s focus issues

Long shot, whats the condition of the battery?

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:36 AM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #3 · D3s focus issues

They are both at level 1 and the physical condition is great.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #4 · D3s focus issues

I've read that dust/dirt on the sub mirror and/or the AF modules can cause flaky performance.

If it does that with all of your lenses and isn't dirty, I'd have to think that it needs service. My d3s outperforms my d700, in most any scenario.

good luck
Kerry

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:05 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · D3s focus issues

Did you restore the factory defaults before shooting the camera? There maybe a setting that is problematic. I'd restore the defaults and then compare settings with the 700.

Just a hunch.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:51 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · D3s focus issues

Did you restore the factory defaults before shooting the camera? There maybe a setting that is problematic. I'd restore the defaults and then compare settings with the 700.

Just a hunch.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:52 AM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #7 · D3s focus issues

check the firmware as well. Both my d3s are incredible machines!! AF is awesome even at 12,800 iso

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:36 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · D3s focus issues

Looking forward to hearing the results of this...

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #9 · D3s focus issues

I did a full reset on the camera and then put all the settings to the same as my D700 and it is not bad in day light but as soon as it starts hitting low light it is just a slug. The D700 is faster in lowlight than this thing is in bright light. The firmware is the latest version. Should I try reinstalling the firmware?

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:56 PM
charles354
• • •
p.1 #10 · D3s focus issues

Hi Brandon. If you just bought this you should contact the person you bought it from and see what he has to say about it. charles354

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · D3s focus issues

Kerry Pierce wrote:
I've read that dust/dirt on the sub mirror and/or the AF modules can cause flaky performance.

If it does that with all of your lenses and isn't dirty, I'd have to think that it needs service. My d3s outperforms my d700, in most any scenario.

good luck
Kerry

^ This! Clean the AF sensor module slits should be common knowledge using this level of gear

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #12 · D3s focus issues

Mainboard has to be replaced. Anyone know the costs? Still waiting on the estimate from Nikon.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:37 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · D3s focus issues

Brandon Mizar wrote:
Mainboard has to be replaced. Anyone know the costs? Still waiting on the estimate from Nikon.

First time I've heard of this problem with a D3. I think you need to take Charles advice and contact the seller A legit seller will work this out with you. I was pursuing the B&S boards a while back and saw your D800 for sale. Somebody offered a trade for a D3s. Did you take that offer?

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #14 · D3s focus issues

No I sold the D800 locally and bought the D3s off here.

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:07 PM
SRFast
• •
p.1 #15 · D3s focus issues

If the AF issue existed from day one, I would definitely contact the seller/previous owner of this D3S. I would be very surprised if this problem didn't exist when he/she owned it. BTW, how many clicks was on the shutter when you purchased it?

Good luck...JL

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:45 AM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #16 · D3s focus issues

It was just over 27,000. I got the camera and noticed it felt a little off but didn't use it for a few weeks as I was having my lenses calibrated to the body hoping somehow that was the issue.. Then it was another week or two before my first concert. It was tracking like crap and was hard to lock on to anything. Then shot my boys boxing match and got maybe 20 out of 1000 shots in focus. I messaged the seller but no reply.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.1 #17 · D3s focus issues

PayPal dropped the dispute because I waited too long to dispute the issue while I had the camera calibrated and diagnosed with the shops. So I am stuck with a large bill on a camera that had obvious issues when I got it. I guess giving it the benefit of the doubt and having it tested was stupid and should have filed a complaint on day one. I will try disputing the credit card next.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #18 · D3s focus issues

Sorry to be reading about this. I hope that at least the repair goes well.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #19 · D3s focus issues

that is lame selling something that has issues, which I assume he knew about since he didn't reply to you...."runs like a charm." my ass.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #20 · D3s focus issues

Wow! That really bites, Brandon! I hope you can get something resolved with the CC company. But, the seller needs a twak I assume that he's not a regular here, maybe has a short history and feedback. I hope that you gave him a red zone feedback, to warn other buyers of his shady dealings.

good luck
Kerry

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password