Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       end
  

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images
  
 
TSY87
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


WOOT WOOT!! my order just changed to "In stock, order sent to warehouse"


Apr 19, 2013 at 08:23 PM
magiclight
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


I expect a full report on receipt


Apr 21, 2013 at 08:09 AM
TSY87
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


picked it up earlier today and took a few random snaps around the park.. nothing worth posting but boy, this lens is SHARP. Also, it has NONE of that purple fringing that the 100/2 is known for. I am in love.

I'm heading down for a trip to disneyland this weekend and thats where I intend on putting this lens through its paces. I will post those snaps for sure!



Apr 27, 2013 at 08:26 AM
campy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Almass wrote:
I am trying to convince myself that I need to buy the Zeiss135 to no avail.

I am plenty satisfied with the Nikon135 D and the Canon135 L. Add to that the Voigt125.

Why would I need to buy the Zeiss135? Can anybody put an argument forward?

I like the CaNikon for their AF focussing as for finessing a shot, I have the Voigt125.

Do I really need an all singing all dancing another MF lens? For what?
Bokeh with CaNikon and Voigt is great. Sharpness with Canon WO is great, additional sharpness is provided with the Leica R 100APO and the Leica R 90AA.

Why
...Show more
Because it looks like you can afford it and I bet you earned it.



Apr 27, 2013 at 09:25 AM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images



Koren site: Zeiss 135mm Vs canon 135mm L



http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/APO-Sonnar-135mm-f2-Review



Apr 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
carstenw
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Almass wrote:
I am trying to convince myself that I need to buy the Zeiss135 to no avail.

I am plenty satisfied with the Nikon135 D and the Canon135 L. Add to that the Voigt125.

Why would I need to buy the Zeiss135? Can anybody put an argument forward?

I like the CaNikon for their AF focussing as for finessing a shot, I have the Voigt125.

Do I really need an all singing all dancing another MF lens? For what?
Bokeh with CaNikon and Voigt is great. Sharpness with Canon WO is great, additional sharpness is provided with the Leica R 100APO and the Leica R 90AA.

Why
...Show more

I presume you mean the soft-focus Nikon 135? I am certain that the Zeiss will offer better performance than the Canon and Nikon, and better colours than the Voigtländer. However, it will have slower AF than the Canon, no soft focus, and no macro.

If I were in your situation, I would sell all three and get the ZF with an adapter for Canon, so you could use it on both. That loses AF, but I presume you have a 70-200 or similar for that.



Apr 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Almass
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Blackout: Yes, you are right, life is too short.

AhamB: The 55/1.4 is very interesting and I am waiting for the 15. I already have a ZF2 85/1.4 and look forward to see another one.

Alan: I am comfortable with focussing and most of my lenses are MF.

campy: Dunno about earning it, but I suppose I can afford it.

Carsten: Hummm. No, I don't have a 70-200, as matter of fact I practically do not have any zoom lens. I am not into zooms very much.

Probably will end up with a Zeiss 135.



Apr 27, 2013 at 02:43 PM
onesixeight
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Here are some of my shots with the D800E & Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar...


Leica Girl... by onesixeight88, on Flickr


Ed (D800e & Zeiss 135 APO) by onesixeight88, on Flickr


Somber Mood... by onesixeight88, on Flickr


Lexi Brick Wall (D800e & 135 APO Sonnar) by onesixeight88, on Flickr



Apr 28, 2013 at 07:35 PM
mawz
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


carstenw wrote:
I presume you mean the soft-focus Nikon 135? I am certain that the Zeiss will offer better performance than the Canon and Nikon, and better colours than the Voigtländer. However, it will have slower AF than the Canon, no soft focus, and no macro.


The Nikkor 135/2 DC is NOT a soft-focus lens, rather it allows you to control the abberations of the lens, giving you control over the character of the out of focus areas. This is somewhat similar in effect to Minolta/Sony's 135STF, but using a different mechanism which preserves the speed of the lens (unlike the STF), but cannot get you to the buttery bokeh of the STF.



Apr 28, 2013 at 09:06 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Nice to see the ZF's are starting to roll in.

Must be patient. Must be patient. It will be worth it.



Apr 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



carstenw
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


mawz wrote:
The Nikkor 135/2 DC is NOT a soft-focus lens, rather it allows you to control the abberations of the lens, giving you control over the character of the out of focus areas. This is somewhat similar in effect to Minolta/Sony's 135STF, but using a different mechanism which preserves the speed of the lens (unlike the STF), but cannot get you to the buttery bokeh of the STF.


What is your definition of a soft focus lens?



Apr 29, 2013 at 04:35 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


As I understand it, a traditional SF lens under-corrects SA to a degree, giving the entire image a soft glow. Canon's 135 SF, for example, has a mechanism to control the amount of SA and can be turned off completely.

Sony's STF and Nikon's DC, on the other hand, are designed to leave the in-focus areas sharp and create a greater spread of light in the OOF areas, so it's possible to achieve structureless bokeh while still being able to stop down enough to get your subject completely in focus.

Like I said, just my understanding. I could be wrong.



Apr 29, 2013 at 06:41 PM
PM01
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


How well does this lens handle WO on point sources such as astrophotography? Any color error on Vega or the much brighter stars?

Photographing star fields is one of the toughest jobs for a lens. Shows quite a bit of the errors that are hidden during the day.



May 05, 2013 at 05:58 AM
Blackout
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


PM01 wrote:
How well does this lens handle WO on point sources such as astrophotography? Any color error on Vega or the much brighter stars?

Photographing star fields is one of the toughest jobs for a lens. Shows quite a bit of the errors that are hidden during the day.


Looking forward to try astrophotography, however the sky won't let me do that for at least one more week !

Here's a set of pictures shot almost exclusively (all but one) with the Apo Sonnar, in various lighting conditions.

International Festival of University Music in Belfort, May 2013



May 21, 2013 at 06:28 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Do 135's get used regularly for astro? I don't have much experience with it, but I was told it was best left to 85mm and below unless you want to invest in a tracking tripod head.

Excited to see your shots, Blackout, but I'm not able to get to flickr right now, so I'll have to try again later.



May 21, 2013 at 07:24 PM
Avantia
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Clarity is face melting.


May 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Hanslook
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Hi, some more to compare from Germany:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/autorenphotographie/sets/72157633316689467/
Regards, Hanslook



May 23, 2013 at 03:20 PM
PM01
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


freaklikeme wrote:
Do 135's get used regularly for astro? I don't have much experience with it, but I was told it was best left to 85mm and below unless you want to invest in a tracking tripod head.

Excited to see your shots, Blackout, but I'm not able to get to flickr right now, so I'll have to try again later.


Pretty much any lens can be used for astro, but it's extremely demanding on lenses. Even if you use a 50mm, you'll still need a tracking platform if you want to go for several minutes to capture faint nebula, details, etc.

Most lenses will have a purple halo around the bright stars or even deformed stars in the field of view. The newer Canon 70-200 2.8L EF IS II has deformed stars - but I'm not surprised at all. So many elements and Canon doesn't spend the time to critically align, but it's stuff that a typical user won't notice in daylight or scenic photography. But, once when the lens is put to the stars, every single weakness shows up on magnification. We are talking 8x10 print size.



Jun 01, 2013 at 10:52 PM
PM01
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Hanslook,

Thanks for posting the link to the images. Most impressive.

How well does the lens "snap" to focus?



Jun 01, 2013 at 10:53 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images


Extremely well from all accounts thus far, PM.

And the above images plus the reviews seen do indicate that some photographers retain the mystical and almost mythical ability to focus a lens manually. I would never have thought that after reading the spirited defence of the venerable AF champion Canon L 135/2 off in the 'Latest News' forum thread running to 8 pages.

Posters raised several ojections besides the AF issue - of price difference and age of design. We had comments of 'you can fix the CA in post (LoCA incl), it works just as good' and 'it works for my large prints anyway', and my particular favourite, the stubborn perennial of 'they are both the same at f5.6'.

So it seems to be a bitter pill, as Zeiss simply came along and released - at the first attempt in seemingly decades - a 135mm lens that is so clearly and objectively superior to what many consider to be Canon's finest L lens for general photography.

Yes, more money. But almost certainly more durability, better assembly and build quality, value retention, owner satisfaction..together with copious IQ advantaqes esp in colour correction but also microcontrast, colour palette, clarity, wide open performance and consistency across aperture settings.

The Canon does not reach the CZ's f2 averaged performance until the wrong side of f4! (from Roger C's charts). Alarmingly, it is even worse at the edges. Oh.

Just take a look at the images of the two lenses shown side-by-side to see how badly finished the Canon actually is:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04/zeiss-ze-135mm-f2-vs-canon-135mm-f2l

It might sound harsh, but it also looks like a child's toy in comparison, with lots of uneven surfaces and doodads. OK, one maker is an optics specialist company, the other makes a lot else besides lenses and cameras - but Canon sold their 90 millionth EF lens recently. I'll keep that thought in mind the next time I turn the fine gnurling on my my manual focus lenses. 90 million EF lenses...

Informative reading on the foibles of AF lenses and systems here:

http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/photography/what_makes_the_difference/manual_focusing.html

[written before the release of Sony's EVF A-mount system by the look of it.]



Jun 03, 2013 at 07:53 AM
1       2      
3
       4       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password