Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Tri Tran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

The lense looks great but I think the Canon 135mm f2L is just as good.

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

You must not be sensitive to colour

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Blackout

p.2 #3 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

carstenw wrote:
You must not be sensitive to colour

Colour, but also contrast. And the Canon is not APO.

Also, it's only the beginning of the story. Future high megapixel cameras are likely to better showcase the differences between the two lenses, in favor of the Zeiss, needless to say.

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Ok, for the Canon fan boys

I looked for an image on line taken with the Canon wide open to show the difference. It just so happens that I had the same subject Ken Rockwell did to show fringing. The only difference is that Ken writes "The Canon 135/2 L behaves as usual, with slight green fringes on background highlights, and slight magenta fringes on foreground highlights."

Here is Ken's image of what he considers 5 star out of 5 for optics with the Canon.

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/135mm-f2.htm

And here is the same image from the Zeiss. taken by me on a very similar subject with the lens wide open.

I think the images speak for themselves.

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

haha, that is impressive. I need to see more sample to be convinced

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Really high correction and really sharp. Not entirely sure about bokeh from lets say 5-10m..

For close distance it seems as really good lens (and probably best 135 so far).

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

John,

Not much of a landscape. But, on the way to work this morning shooting into the sun at a distance.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:37 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Tri Tran wrote:
haha, that is impressive. I need to see more sample to be convinced

Yes, and taken under exactly the same conditions, at the same time. I'd love to see more head-to-head comparisons, especially showing the bokeh.

Anecdotally, yes, the Zeiss example here looks very good for controlled color fringing.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:18 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #9 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

On Lloyd blog, he already showed how much better this lens is compared to the Nikkor 135 DC (f/2 is as good as f/5.6). It's only a matter time for the Canon 135, though i highly doubt that the Canon is that much better than the Nikkor.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Almass
• •
p.2 #10 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

I am trying to convince myself that I need to buy the Zeiss135 to no avail.

I am plenty satisfied with the Nikon135 D and the Canon135 L. Add to that the Voigt125.

Why would I need to buy the Zeiss135? Can anybody put an argument forward?

I like the CaNikon for their AF focussing as for finessing a shot, I have the Voigt125.

Do I really need an all singing all dancing another MF lens? For what?
Bokeh with CaNikon and Voigt is great. Sharpness with Canon WO is great, additional sharpness is provided with the Leica R 100APO and the Leica R 90AA.

Why would I want to purchase a Zeiss135? To add to the collection?

Inquiring mind like to know?

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Blackout

p.2 #11 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Almass wrote:

I am plenty satisfied with the Nikon135 D and the Canon135 L. Add to that the Voigt125.

I like the CaNikon for their AF focussing as for finessing a shot, I have the Voigt125.

Bokeh with CaNikon and Voigt is great. Sharpness with Canon WO is great, additional sharpness is provided with the Leica R 100APO and the Leica R 90AA.

Why
...Show more

Throughout your post, you try to convince yourself that you don't need the Zeiss 135. Considering your points, it's clear that you don't need it. However, you know that you want it. So, relieve yourself, buy it. Life's too short.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Almass
• •
p.2 #12 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Blackout wrote:
Throughout your post, you try to convince yourself that you don't need the Zeiss 135. Considering your points, it's clear that you don't need it. However, you know that you want it. So, relieve yourself, buy it. Life's too short.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:56 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Almass wrote:

Why would I want to purchase a Zeiss135? To add to the collection?

Only reasons I can think of:
- more shallow DOF with the Zeiss than the CV125
- Zeiss rendering which is different from all 3 lenses that you own

In the end I guess it comes down to how much you want the Zeiss rendering.

Otherwise... save your money for the Zeiss 55/1.4 (or the rumored 28/1.4 or 85/1.4).

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:33 PM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #14 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

No one needs this lens. Want it... that's another story.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:25 PM
TSY87
• • •
p.2 #15 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

why why why did i click on this...

I think im going to sell the 100/2 mp and pick this up... and then a nikkor micro eventually.

oh boy I really made a mistake this time...

okay, I just preordered it.

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

i'm glad i am making you guys keep the economy going by spending.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:28 AM
TSY87
• • •
p.2 #17 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

^^ please post more samples!

Thats another way I justify my purchases! helping the economy! haha

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

TSY87 wrote:
^^ please post more samples!

Thats another way I justify my purchases! helping the economy! haha

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:43 PM
RiverGuy

p.2 #19 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Several of us have posted Zeiss 135 images over on the ZE/ZF/ZM official thread. I forgot this thread was started.

I've been using the lens extensively since April 9, especially for artifact and flower photography. I'm extremely pleased with what I get from the 135/2. It ranks right up there with the Coastal Optics 60 APO and the Hartblei 80 in image quality, although it would probably take me six months to make a hard, fast comparison there. Only those highly specialized lenses, one (Coastal) custom made and fantastically color corrected, the other with German Zeiss glass (Hartblei) have image quality and bokeh in that league, but the Hartblei is very cumbersome to use and the Coastal has a much wider field of view. Both are considerably more expensive. In my artifact work I quickly discovered the 135/2 works amazingly well with the latest version of Helicon Focus, which gives the photographer the ability to "paint in" the depth of field he or she wants, without sacrificing the sharpness, clarity, separation from background and bokeh of smaller apertures.

I'll post some images here in the future, but for now, the first dozen or so images in this slideshow should provide an idea of what the lens can do with HF and -- with and without Helicon Focus -- in uniform, soft light conditions. The low light images in the series are shot that way deliberately, to keep very bright reflective white objects from blowing out or effecting the rest of the frame, and, hopefully, to pull out the very best color the lens can deliver.

http://danmacdonald.zenfolio.com/zeiss135_for_nikon/slideshow

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · Zeiss 135 f2 Images

Almass wrote:

Why
...Show more

How old are you ? You don't have to answer that but if you are old enough to have not so flexible eyes then MF is about to get harder and harder without using a tripod and live view.

I had a go with a 2/135 on a 1Dx yesterday and it was great but my ability to nail the focus was rather iffy.

On the plus side, I was very much aware that focus near infinity required a tangible movement of the focus ring away from infinity, and so was easy to achieve. My MP 2/100, on the other hand, has objects at infinity and at 150-200 yards also being focused differently but with almost no movement of the focus ring required to separate them, making it harder for me to use. I can't say how much this is a result of characteristics of the two lenses or of the viewfinder diopter adjustment controls of a 1Dx and a Nikon D800E. e.g. The Nikon diopter changes in steps whereas the canon is a continuous smooth change.

As nice as Ziess lenses are, the they remain pretty poor at AF on a Nikon or Canon. This is a powerful argument against them for some people; Probably most people these days, even if they have the spare cash.

- Alan

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password