FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Palouse help for trip

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Palouse help for trip

Hello all. I live about five hours away and was thinking about trying to make a trip out for some photos this spring. I would love some advice on the trip.

First off is there a route or loop through the area you would suggest. Something that would give the best overall view. Also any must see locations. I will be coming in from I-84 from the west

Where would you suggest spending sunrise and sunset. Is kamiak butte the best location?

Where would you suggest staying in the area?
somewhere near the best sunrise sunset locations.

I also have a small camper that I could use. Would I be able to just camp at Kamiak butte for the night? or pull over in another location nearby. Or would it be better to just go with the hotel? Cost wise the gas and the hotel cost probably even out.

How much time do I need? Could I get a good feel for the area in one night and two days? When would you go? I imagine it is just starting to green up now and will get good in a couple weeks?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Brian

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:49 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Palouse help for trip

I'm about 4 hours away and have made the trip in all seasons many times - from blizzards to mid-summer heat. You really can't go wrong any time of the year.

As for the most common vantage point for sunrise / sunset it is likely to be Steptoe Butte. From there you can get a 360 degree view, unlike Kamiak Butte.

There are countless small dirt roads throughout the region that are open from March 15 - November 15. If it hasn't been raining (the clay can be treacherous), explore, explore, explore. That's the joy of the Palouse. Sure, we all have some special spots that we return to but what "floats my boat" may not float yours.

I have, on many occasions, just pulled over on one of the back roads through the hills and slept in my vehicle. If you'd prefer a motel, I can recommend the Best Western in Colfax. I've stayed there quite a few times and it is clean, comfortable, and very centrally-located.

Could I get a good feel for the area in one night and two days?
Yes, but it will only whet your appetite since there are so many back roads to explore. I would also suggest a side trip to Palouse Falls State Park, perhaps on your return leg since it is a bit out-of-the-way. It is quite photogenic.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:06 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Palouse help for trip

Thank you very much. That info is very helpful. Sounds like maybe the camper isn't the best option if I am going to be driving on a lot of back/dirt roads. Well maybe I will just decide last minute depending on the weather.
Thanks again. Brian

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:53 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Palouse help for trip

Actually the back roads are quite easy to navigate as they are used all the time by the farmers. No 4WD required. Enjoy.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:44 PM
jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Palouse help for trip

I understand that the towers on top of Steptoe Butte will be worked on this spring, and it may be blocked off! I will try to get contact numbers for folks we photographers can call to try to mitigate the situation, and post here.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:04 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Palouse help for trip

Thanks, jstephens62, but, as I'm sure that you know, even if the summit of the butte is blocked off (where the towers are located) there are a myriad of photo ops available from along the road that winds to the top. I will certainly be interested in any information you can get.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:12 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Palouse help for trip

Thanks for looking into that. If you find out any info I would love to hear.

Brian

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Palouse help for trip

A lot of the towers are already completed most are along 195 at and north of Rosalia so many other places than Steptoe though to explore.
If you are going to stay in Colfax book the Best Western Wheatland Inn earlier as it will fill up real quick starting on Thursdays last year was the busiest i've ever seen the hotel with workshops (BTW I'm in Colfax at least once a month calling on my accounts in Spokane) . The other motel in town is at the opposite end of town the Siesta Inn
Last year on Steptoe that really started checking to see if you had your Discover card so I would advise to pick one up $35.00 for a year.
Here is a couple images from a snowshoe hike up Steptoe this Winter and another location

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.