FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

UgashikBob
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Sunset on Mount Peulik. Looking Northeast from our front deck. The steam you see rising from Mount Marten on the extreme left side of the photo is 80 miles North Northeast of us on the eastern ridge of the Valley of 10000 smokes.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:34 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Nice shot - what clear skies! Colors are very nice.
Keith W.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:38 PM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Very beautiful image of Peulik Bob...and one that brings back many good memories from the considerable time I've spent on the volcano - and flying my super cub around it. Once, back in my hunting & guiding days, I had a hunter shoot a big caribou bull right near the very top, on the edge of the bowl. The bull fell onto a snow chute and slid about a 100mph all the way to the bottom of the mountain...a looong slide...ending up close to our camp. I can see the route clearly on your image.

Thanks for sharing this! Your images always take me down the AK Peninsula memory lane.

Jim

Edited on Mar 02, 2013 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

A stunningly beautiful image, Bob.
Among the many great places I never visited while working in Alaska- the Alaska Peninsula stands out as one that I regret most- for the bears AND the scenery.
Charlie

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:43 PM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

JIm:
We probably know a lot of people in common as we built our home here on the Outlet of Lower Ugashik Lake in 1985. Back in the day this area was known for its trophy Caribou and now they are almost extinct. I've been up the chute you mentioned and it would be a lot easier to watch one slide down that than packing it down. You probably had your camp on the sand dunes next to Ugashik Creek as there isn't to many landing spots in that area even for a cub.

Charlie:
When my bride and I worked for a living we were able to live in a lot of places around the globe but I haven't tired of this yet. Its at its best in the winter when there is no one else here.

Mar 02, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Beautiful! Man what a view from your deck...just stunning. It must be something living in paradise.

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:01 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Beautiful and spellbinding pic - which brings back memories for me as well - as I lived in AK from '80-'93. I NEVER got use to the spectacular scenery up there. It always seemed like a dream!
Dave

Mar 02, 2013 at 06:28 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Beautiful image. Well done.
Harsha

Mar 02, 2013 at 06:44 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

beautiful bob! you probably have the best view of anyone here on FM.

Mar 02, 2013 at 07:43 PM
Twisties
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

I was thinking of posting some views from our deck, but now I am humbled. It just doesn't get any better than that right there.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:31 AM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

That's from your front deck? I really need to move to Alaska.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:37 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

The only thing you see from my deck are garbage cans. Great shot !!!

Todd

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:49 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

What a stunning shot, really beautiful!

Birdie

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:00 AM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Bob, most certainly we had to have shared some friends, and must have crossed paths at some point. I was working and recreating in the area from 1983 - 2002. It's too bad about the Caribou depletion, it was amazing back in the day. One theory is that much of the South Peninsula herd joined the Mulchatna herd to the north...not sure I buy that though.

I've depicted the event I described above...my camp was at the only landable spot for miles around, and it was marginal at best...a short and rocky knife edged ridge about 200' long, right next to a pond...it was a beautiful spot, but could be treacherous to come and go from.

Thanks again for sharing the pic, Jim

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:09 PM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Jim:
Glad you posted with your info because that isn't the chute I was thinking of. The one I've been up is visible to the right of yours and our campsite was well below on the sand dunes next to Ugashik Creek. I thought you might of operated out of the strip on what the locals called the "Millionaires Cabin" at the head of Ugashik Creek That and the dunes were the only landing areas I was aware of in the immediate area.
Lots of theory's about the Caribou. Mine is a perfect storm of bad events. Lichen problems, several forms of disease, and to many predators including the two legged variety. Great memories. The spring migration used to remind me of the plains of Africa when they were horizon to horizon. Now we are lucky to see 100 a year compared to thousands in a day.

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:35 PM
Ylwstonegirl
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Beautiful image, I really love the colors. What a view to wake up to every day.

Kristine

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:48 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

A beautiful picture indeed. Will look great printed large and hung on a wall.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:14 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Beautiful picture; lovely light. The colors and textures on the mountain are superb.

Dave

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:06 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sunset on Mount Peulik

Love the colors!

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:01 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.