Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Ok, I admit that I am obsessed with seeking out, seeing and photographing all the accessible goosenecks (bends) on all 277 miles of the Grand Canyon from Lake Powell to the Grand Wash Cliffs. I'm already excited about being down there next March combining that obsession with that of photographing the best of the remote canyons of the SW (at least my favorites). For those who have not seen my other posts (of this location) this remote location is NOT Horseshoe Bend. This may be my favorite location I have ever been to in my life. Considerable rock climbing was necessary to get to the location. My first success was with someone from this forum that has a screw as loose as myself. Since then I have found much easier ways to do it.

There is something about this spot that cannot be relayed in photos. A "sacredness" is the only word I can come up with. A quiet. The ocassional sound of the Grand Canyon boat tours. No people. Remoteness. A doubling up of echos (on calm days) when you yell into the canyon that becomes an orchestra of voices. The ocassional sound of thunder that really is chunks of rock ocassionally falling the 1500 feet down the walls. Sacred. Special. I have spent a handful of nights here alone and have relished in it.

Tech stuff:

This was shot with the Canon 5D Mark2, with the 14mmL2. I interpolated a copy of the file up a bit so as to use the same moon in the very same location, but to prevent the ultra wide lens from rendering it a single pixel speck. I wanted it to look more like what the eye saw. Rendering here was conservative, done almost exclusively in ACR.

Canon 5D Mark2
Canon 14mmL2
f/5.6 (sharpest f/stop)
Single shot
100 ISO

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

beautiful!

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:22 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Beautiful.

Did you take this same shot wide rather than tall? The sky doesn't seem to be adding a lot. Would more colored and less sky might be better?

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:22 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Lovely.
Harsha

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:24 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

From your images of this "bend", I prefer it to Horseshoe Bend, especially the solitude. At my age and situation, I may never get out there again, but I'd love to visit it if the improbable happens. As always, Mark, your work is very special.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

I figured this was your favorite location Mark!
Another lovely shot.
Great color on this one. The cloud formation balanced your comp very well.
Best,
Fred

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:30 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Terrific shot Mark!
David

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:36 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Hey Mark,

Very nice work on this, the processing looks pretty good I would say. You handled the moon well. But I do think to Stan's point, even going to a square crop and totally losing the sky from the moon on up, leaves a really cool shot with all that great cloud detail.

Jim

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:32 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Like Fred said.

Beautiful color and balance on this one.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:28 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

nice!

Mar 02, 2013 at 07:08 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Very nice, I personally love the amount of sky here - lovely pastel colors contrasts well with the orange hues of the rock.

Mar 02, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

ucphotog wrote:
Beautiful.

Did you take this same shot wide rather than tall? The sky doesn't seem to be adding a lot. Would more colored and less sky might be better?

Yeah, I think that it is a judgement call on that one. On another forum someone says it's the sky they like the most... So maybe different versions...

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:17 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

I hope my comment didn't seem negative. It was meant more as a matter of curiosity. I just happened to love the deep colors of the rock, but the sky is pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

A lovely shot

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:48 PM
matthewh133
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Woooooweeeee! Absolutely awesome Mark.

Mar 02, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Twisties
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Maybe try the crop with the foreground tightened up to the point of the reflection on the water. Your work is always inspiring and this is a fantastic shot either way. I think I see "The Patriarchs" at the point of the rock in the center. One of the best gooseneck shots I have seen. As always, I appreciate the story and details.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:05 AM
nicknick23
• •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Great shot MARK !! Glad to see more of your work posted !!

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:36 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Mark, this is just beautiful.
Keith W.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:48 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Processing is nicely done here!

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

ucphotog wrote:
I hope my comment didn't seem negative. It was meant more as a matter of curiosity. I just happened to love the deep colors of the rock, but the sky is pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

No not at all! I am so callaused by 10 years of forums you would probabily have to cuss me out to seem negative.

I see the option of chopping a little extra space up there.

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.