Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

Michael Gordon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

I have seen these mentioned here but few comments on their use. Seems like portrait orientation might be a contortion at times. Zacuto sells this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Zacuto-S-005509-Z-Finder-Pro-2-5X/dp/B003VZO5S4

They sell real EVF as well that appears to be able to be mounted on the hot shoe. Not clear if the resolution is adequate for fine MF or not. Magic lantern with the plane Z-finder would seem to be useful. I'll stick to my chipped adapters for now though unless the experienced alt's on this forum like the finder(s).
Thanks for any comments.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

These things work well (also see SmallHD) but they are bulky. MF is fine with them, especially the SmallHD which has a number of useful focusing modes. The Zacuto is probably better if you do video. There is a thread around here somewhere which I started on the same topic.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

What Carsten said.

I have both a Zacuto Z-Finder 2.5x and a SmallHD DP6 HD monitor. The Z-Finder is mostly used for video (which I don't do a lot of). It would be very handy for still photography in special circumstances, such as handheld shooting in really poor or really bright weather, when you want something better than the optical finder, and you can't use LiveView on the camera or an external monitor, in the 'normal' manner..

I find the SmallHD DP6 is great for macro photography when the camera is in an awkward location, and it's especially useful for tilt-shift photography, in the field.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

acoll123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

I have it and use it on my 5DIII, so far only for video. It really helps focusing manually. Also, it makes it easier to hold the camera for long periods of time - much easier than having to hold your arms out in front of you to see the lcd screen. It is expensive IMO, but it is well-made and secures tightly to the camera.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

Thanks very much for the comments. Camranger might be cheaper way for macro but involves even more gear.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Z-finder to optimize MF for alts on 5D11/111?

Z-finder is pretty good.
A bit bulky, but worth it if this is what you are trying to do.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2475/3925399654_a1cea54e80_o.jpg

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password