Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Backpack Recommendations

nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpack Recommendations

***I apologize in advance for the length of this post***

For the most part, my Lowepro Orion Daypack backpack has served me relatively well in carrying and storing my photography gear when at home and when I travel. Recently, I have purchase more lenses and accessories, so it looks as though I'm outgrowing my backback since I'm having a tough time easily putting all my gear comfortably in there.

So, I am looking for new backpack recommendations based on the equipment that I typically take with me when I travel (keep in mind that the backpack will be my carryon item when flying). I usually pack my tripod in my suitcase which generally gets checked at the airport.

5DII + RRS L-Bracket
40mm Pancake
17-40mm
24-105mm
70-200mm f/4
Hi-Tech GND filters
Lens hoods
Apple iPhone
Apple iPad Mini
CF cards
CPL, ND filters
iOptron Skytracker
RRS Pano Elements Kit
Extra batteries

I'm not looking for a huge backpack where I will feel the weight on my shoulders (I'm not a big guy to start with). I do prefer a backpack over a bag or slingbag. Although some of the equipment I mentioned above will be left in the hotel room during certain portions of the day.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

-Nick

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:30 PM
xcel730
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpack Recommendations

With all the gear you're planning on carrying, you'll most likely need a larger backpack.

Check out F-Stop backpack (www.fstopgear.com). They're fairly expensive, but they're rock solid. They have 3 sizes ... with Satori being the largest. I purchased the Tilopa back in 2010. It looks different from their current model, but it should be the same size.

I've carried this bag to Hawaii (Maui / Kauaii) back in 2010, Shanghai in 2011, and Switzerland / Greece in 2012. I'm not rough with the bag, but I don't baby it either. It's still in excellent condition with no loose stitching or damages.

For my most recent Switzerland trip, I carried:

* Canon 5Dm2 Gripped
* 17-40mm
* 24-105mm
* 85mm f/1.8
* Lee Wide Angle Filter Holder (with hood)
* A pouch with Lee Filters
* Canon 580EXII
* Canon 430
* MacBook Air

Below is the side profile to see the size of the bag. I'm a little over 6 feet tall.

Sorry the photo below is not sharp. I just screen cap a low res facebook photo

Mar 06, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpack Recommendations

Hi Nick,

Here's a backpack roundup I did last year that will give you a head start on your research:
http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/01/22/a-brief-statement-on-backpacks-for-hiking-with-photo-gear-from-the-society-obsessed-with-photography-backpack-perfection/

This will be particularly helpful in helping you choose a backpack that isn't too heavy empty.

I'm using an f-stop Loka and Think Tank Streetwalker HD, and they're both great bags.

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:10 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpack Recommendations

f-stop loka is wonderful. I think you would find your gear will just fit.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:41 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpack Recommendations

I really like my Clik Elite bag, its been the best dayhiking pack I've ever had.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpack Recommendations

You may even get all that in the F-stop Guru bag with Medium Pro ICU. I'm travelling in SE Asia right now with mine. I have in it a 5D3 with RRS L-Bracket, a 7D with no bracket, 24-105, 17-40, 40 pancake and the 100-400. I have 2 extra LPE6 batteries, the charger, iphone, 11inch MacBook Air, 77mm CP filter, a ThinkTank Memory card wallet with about 10 CF cards, a kindle, and Bose NC headphones (the largest ones). It is fairly full with all that stuff but it is fairly similar to your list.

I've travelled in the past with all the above plus an iPad and the 100L Macro.

The only problem with the Guru is that with all that stuff in it it gets uncomfortable fairly quickly. I believe the Loka and definitely the Tilopia and Satori have better straps that would probably carry the load better than the Guru and give you a bit more extra space but I think a Medium Pro ICU would easily fit all your bodies and lenses with some extra space in the ICU for some of the accessories with the rest in the other pockets and in the space above the ICU.

I also have done 3-4 overseas trips with mine and it looks like it did the day I bought it despite some rough handling and stuffing it under numerous airline seats. F-stop is fairly expensive but a very good option.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpack Recommendations

I have the fstop loka with a large pro icu. It's fantastic and should accommodate the gear you listed easily.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpack Recommendations

Loka and Satori. interchangeable med and lrg ICUs.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:11 PM
JAnderson91

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backpack Recommendations

Im looking at picking up the Tilopa BC soon and have a question that I am hoping someone can answer.

If this bag isn't completely full would it be able to be put under the seat on an airplane? I imagine it should work as long as it isn't packed.

Any thoughts?

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backpack Recommendations

JAnderson91 wrote:
Im looking at picking up the Tilopa BC soon and have a question that I am hoping someone can answer.

If this bag isn't completely full would it be able to be put under the seat on an airplane? I imagine it should work as long as it isn't packed.

Any thoughts?

I have Tilopa BC, best backpack I've used in last 16 years..

I'm not sure if it can fit under airplane seat. ( I think not)
but it sure does fit in upper compartment. (both tilopa & satori)

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:48 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backpack Recommendations

JAnderson91 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Even my Guru bag when fully stuffed as I described in my earlier post is sometimes difficult to get under the seat. I've always managed to get it in there but it is first off hard to get it down between the front of my seat the the seatback of the seat ahead and then it often takes a bit of a pushing to get it to slide under the seat. Some planes it is easy (actually usually on smaller planes (CRJ jets)) and others it is difficult (737s and A320s).

Therefore, I really don't think the Tilopia would ever fit under the seat because it is also much longer and at least as thick as my little Guru bag.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM
lottel

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backpack Recommendations

Does the Tilopia offer better padding on the sides vs conventional backpacks such as the deuter's?

Nov 11, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Evangelos Makris

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backpack Recommendations

Hello Nick,

i currently use a Lowepro Flipside 400 and i think it is worth considering.

Evangelos

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Charlie K.

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backpack Recommendations

Another positive on the Fstop bags my Satori is great.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM
4G63
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backpack Recommendations

I recently got the Tenba Shootout 24L and have used it on my recent trip to the Philippines. IMO, it is the best backpack I've ever had. I'm loving this bag so far. It's not too big and not too small either. For me it's just the right size. It's very comfortable as well. I've worn it for hours full of my gear and I never had any issues with my back or shoulders. As a carry on, it will fit in the overhead compartment without any issues.

Overall, I love this bag. The quality is just outstanding. I would highly recommend it.

Edited on Nov 13, 2014 at 04:15 AM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backpack Recommendations

lottel wrote:
Does the Tilopia offer better padding on the sides vs conventional backpacks such as the deuter's?

Yes they is the modular approach called an ICU

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backpack Recommendations

JAnderson91 wrote:

Any thoughts?

The term completely full or packed needs to be defined, with an medium or above ICU in it. Most likely no. They do design it to be a legal carry on. That though will depend on the highly variable airlines dimensioning of a bag that day and if they are pushing the rules on that flight.

Regretfully too general a question on too general a subject.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password