Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Placed my order with Allen's today for a 500, 1.4 and 1.7 tc. Should arrive via UPS tomorrow. A thanks goes out to you guys as I would never have heard of them without you (great pricing too)!!

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Cool!

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:12 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #3 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

sweet

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:22 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

I'm jealous

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #5 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Congrats! If I could only own one Nikon lens it would be the 500VR.

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:37 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #6 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Thanks guys. I debated heavily the 400 2.8 and 600, but, in the end, couldn't justify the extra dollars or, more impartantly the extra weight. Having shot with a Canon 400 2.8 IS, I know what 11 lbs. feels like after a short walk and just wasn't gonna do it again.

Stoked to get it!

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Congrats, I just swapped my 600VR for a 500VR (and some cash ).
Great lens and much better manageable.

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Congrats! Great lens, and I love mine.

Though in contrast to Gary, if I could only own one long Nikon it would be the 200-400. I can't live without its versatility.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:08 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Seriously green with envy, you lucky dog. Have fun with your goodies.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.1 #10 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

We'll expect to see some samples soon from that great glass. Congratulations!!

Alan

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:36 AM
billsnature
• • •
p.1 #11 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

Great set up. Just one warning. Micro adjust!!

You may need to micro adjust with each TC. You need seperate micro adjustments for with and without the TC in Nikon, which is not the case in Canon. I would also not be surpised if you need a different MA for the TC-14E II versus the the TC-17E II.

On my system the 600mm VR is a +1 for the lens alone,on both D800 bodies and on the D4 I just sold. The same lens however requires a -19 with a TC-14E II attached to it on both bodies. I have tried 3 different copies of TC and all wind up at same -18 to -20 range.

So if your initial results with TC are diappointing, try micro adjusting with TC on. You may get a massive improvement.

Bill

Mar 02, 2013 at 04:22 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #12 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

billsnature wrote:
Great set up. Just one warning. Micro adjust!!

You may need to micro adjust with each TC. You need seperate micro adjustments for with and without the TC in Nikon, which is not the case in Canon. I would also not be surpised if you need a different MA for the TC-14E II versus the the TC-17E II.

On my system the 600mm VR is a +1 for the lens alone,on both D800 bodies and on the D4 I just sold. The same lens however requires a -19 with a TC-14E II attached to it on both bodies. I have tried 3
...Show more

Bill, Thanks for the TC AF tune reminder. FWIW, you have to do the same thing with Canon. The cameras take a lens adj and lens with TC adj - and it can do more than one tc.

Everything arrived and I have had the opportunity to do a quick test. AF with the D7k and the 1.7x is excellent. Have not encountered a problem - yet. I also noticed that despite the exact same weight of 8.5lbs., the Nikon version feels considerably lighter and easier to handle than Canon's 500 V1.

As an added bonus, Nikon's presentation of these lenses is really good - makes you feel special to open that box and see the very nicely adorned case with "red velvet" inside. Of course, IMO, the case is useless other than storage. But you still get a warm fuzzy.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:45 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.1 #13 · 500 and TCs on the way!!!

I received a PM asking about method used for supertele's

I am using the Reiken Focal software. You print targets, and hook camera to lap top with software. It tells you to set -20, -10, 0, +10, +20 and measures resolution at each setting. It then interpolates to bestsetting.

For 600mm you need to be 24M or 75 feet away. with 1.4X about 100 feet. So it is done outside on sunny day with target taped to a wall dumpster or flat surface of car.

Hardest part is reading laptop screen on sunny day (tent or umbrella) and wind if doing it in winter.

I am a big fan of the Focal software and I bought the "pro" version which will do fully automatic on Canon, and interactive on Nikon.

Bill

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:53 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password