Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

akivisuals wrote:
Why is it "lame"?

This is great - because it is something we should be debating. It's lame if they have pretensions of being Mr. Photographer, and try to pass off frame grabs as 'genuine' stills seen and taken with a photographer's eye.

Don't get me wrong, people can do what they like. But if someone is shooting video, taking frame grabs and then proclaiming themselves a great photographer, I'll mock them to the grave.

You see? It's the potential for deceit that's discomfiting.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Paul Mo wrote:
This is great - because it is something we should be debating. It's lame if they have pretensions of being Mr. Photographer, and try to pass off frame grabs as 'genuine' stills seen and taken with a photographer's eye.

Don't get me wrong, people can do what they like. But if someone is shooting video, taking frame grabs and then proclaiming themselves a great photographer, I'll mock them to the grave.

You see? It's the potential for deceit that's discomfiting.

And if it "IS" Mr Photographer doing the frame grabs, having framed the shot in the same way as they would for a photo, set the aperture for the desired DOF just like the photo, checked the lighting just like the photo, doing all the post production just like the photo, and wait a moment, err.... getting a better final picture than the one he grabbed using his still camera because some one blinked at exactly the wrong moment, is that still lame that they caught 24/25/30/50/60 frames per seconds instead of your 10 frames per second in the still camera?

Edited on Mar 02, 2013 at 01:32 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Check this out:

http://fstoppers.com/hasselblad-vs-red

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Dave_EP wrote:
...is that still lame

I love photography.

Totally. So let's sell all our gear and invest in the highest resolution video cameras we can and change our methodology.

Who's going first? You?

Birders may as well set up a camera and video BIF's then go from there. Who cares for the pleasure of stills capture? Who cares for the joy of serendipity? I can see it now, 'Nice capture, Petkal'. Amazing shot, diverhank.'

I can see your points. Now if you can't see mine, since this is a photo (stills) forum, then go ahead and commit to your new love and start a new type of forum - back up your belief in the validity of high res-high frame rate framegrabography with action. Put down your stills camera and get to it.

I bet you don't.

Enjoy your new hobby. Bye.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.2 #5 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Paul Mo wrote:
I can see your points. Now if you can't see mine, since this is a photo (stills) forum, then go ahead and commit to your new love and start a new type of forum - back up your belief in the validity of high res-high frame rate framegrabography with action. Put down your stills camera and get to it.

Since I already do both I clearly have a different perspective on this

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:21 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Paul Mo wrote:
...this isn't photography - it dishonours our practice.

How does it "dishonour" our practice any more than using a multi-FPS DLSR "dishonours" it compared to a hand-wound 35mm SLR compared to a sheet-film press camera compared to a large-format view camera compared to a daguerreotype compared to...

One might as well say that photography isn't art, and dishonours painting.

Mar 02, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.2 #7 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Paul Mo wrote:
{snip}..... and try to pass off frame grabs as 'genuine' stills seen and taken with a photographer's eye.

When the data pipeline, buffer and mechanicals have advanced such that the camera can handle 24 fps still captures, will the photos I get in mid-burst be not "genuine?"

Mar 02, 2013 at 11:54 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Yay Canon .. look impressive.

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Sunny Sra wrote:
fantastic!

+1

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:22 AM
akivisuals
• • •
p.2 #10 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

BrianO wrote:
How does it "dishonour" our practice any more than using a multi-FPS DLSR "dishonours" it compared to a hand-wound 35mm SLR compared to a sheet-film press camera compared to a large-format view camera compared to a daguerreotype compared to...

One might as well say that photography isn't art, and dishonours painting.

Exactly! I have my BFA in Fine Art Photography and I've been shooting for well over 30 years and I'm only in my early 40's. Much of my personal work was shot using 4x5 field cameras and sheet film, Hasselblads, 35mm rangefinders and SLRs. During my studies I've even made cameras with matteboard, pinholes and magnifying glass lenses. I don't see what I'm doing now with my DSLRs all that different. It's still image making. The tools change and will always continue to evolve. Your brain is what makes you a photographer not the camera dujour.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Howell

p.2 #11 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Canon has decided to market the EOS-1DC's 4K video as a another way to capture still images. Lets look at some of the details of this format.

The 1DC shoots 4K at 24fps or 25fps and only when using a 1.3 crop of the sensor.

You can shoot in Canon log, (similar to a very flat picture style), but this is essentially very similar to shooting a jpeg still image.

1DC 4k video is 4096x2160. That is 8.85 MP and in an odd aspect ratio of 256:135, a little wider than the familiar 1.85:1 ratio of some movies.

4096x2160 cropped to the standard 3:2 ratio is 3240x2160 or 7 MP. At 5:4 it is 2700x2160 or 5.83 MP. I am not sure how to calculate the crop factor once the photo is in a standard 3:2 ratio.

Using a EOS-1DC in 4K mode for still capture would be a convenient and useful tool in certain situations, but the image quality would be lacking compared to current DSLR's. I would expect even a 20D or 30D shooting in raw to easily surpass it at lower ISOs in detail, color depth, sharpness, and dynamic range.

So you have to ask yourself, is shooting 7 megapixel crop camera jpegs at 24 fps worth $11,999.00 ?

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Well I doubt anyone is buying the 1DC mainly for still capture. The still capture is an added benefit to the 4K video.

EBH

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:43 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.2 #13 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

I'm with EB on this. Much better options for still capture.
Video pros will enjoy the 1DC.

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:04 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.2 #14 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Matt Howell wrote:
So you have to ask yourself, is shooting 7 megapixel crop camera jpegs at 24 fps worth $11,999.00 ?

To you, probably not

The 1Dc was not created to be a fast fps replacement for the 1Dx, it was created as a 4K cinema camera (hence the red 'c'). The fact that some people can & will use it for stills extraction is merely a bonus.

This is a tool, one among many available to us. If you can't see a reason for owning one, don't worry, pass on by.

Lots of people could easily rubbish lots of Canon products they personally don't have a use for, or can't justify the price of, yet others may own and use them regularly.

Let's not go down the path of trashing something because we don't understand it or have a personal use for it.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:16 PM
vivisha
• •
p.2 #15 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Matt Howell wrote:

If it enables you to get jobs that will pay for it, yes. This camera is for serious professionals who currently had only the option of the RED cameras, which are way more expensive. Your question I think, should be posted in a video forum.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Matt Howell

p.2 #16 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Are these responses really the best this forum can do? I am talking about the 1DC in the context of being a 24 fps stills camera. Which not I, but Canon marketing has suggested. This has nothing to do with the 1DC as a video or cinema camera.

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.2 #17 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Matt Howell wrote:
Are these responses really the best this forum can do? I am talking about the 1DC in the context of being a 24 fps stills camera. Which not I, but Canon marketing has suggested. This has nothing to do with the 1DC as a video or cinema camera. Come on people, catch up.

If you don't think it's for you - walk on by. Stop trashing something you don't like / want / understand.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Matt Howell wrote:
Are these responses really the best this forum can do? I am talking about the 1DC in the context of being a 24 fps stills camera. Which not I, but Canon marketing has suggested. This has nothing to do with the 1DC as a video or cinema camera.

I doubt that the actual buyers can completely separate the two. I have zero use for video, but if I had 25% and the 1DC does not lose any critical features of the 1D-X, I'd certainly consider it at $12K. It's really not that much money for what you get now, though of course in 5 years it will seem overpriced. I paid around $7300 for the 1Ds ten years ago, which would be about $9200 today.

EBH

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Matt Howell wrote:

I doubt that the actual buyers can completely separate the two. I have zero use for video, but if I had 25% and the 1DC does not lose any critical features of the 1D-X, I'd certainly consider it at $12K. It's really not that much money for what you get now, though of course in 5 years it will seem overpriced. I paid around $7300 for the 1Ds ten years ago, which would be about $9200 today.

EBH

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

Matt Howell wrote:
Are these responses really the best this forum can do? ...

Sorry your expectations were not met.

Matt Howell wrote:
... I am talking about the 1DC in the context of being a 24 fps stills camera. Which not I, but Canon marketing has suggested. This has nothing to do with the 1DC as a video or cinema camera.

Do you believe everything the marketing people say?

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:32 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password