Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Martial critique requested

The Raven

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Martial critique requested

Getting back into photography after a 6 year break. The following photo was shot with a k20d, sigma 52mm, f32, 1/4sec, ISo 3200, all manual.

Martial

I have the rest of the collection at Raven Photography

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:54 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Martial critique requested

Martial is defined as, (Adj.) of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: This image meets that criteria. I like it but please note that some Fm'ers do not like going off-site to view images (me for one). Posting here might get more response. Welcome back.

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:04 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Martial critique requested

oldrattler wrote:
Martial is defined as, (Adj.) of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: This image meets that criteria. I like it but please note that some Fm'ers do not like going off-site to view images (me for one). Posting here might get more response. Welcome back.

That may be the definition of martial, but I don't get any imagery of war from these pictures. I see highly stylized images of weapons and ammunition that don't necessarily indicate any war or armed forces association.

The pictures themselves look good, and they are consistent in style except for the pistol. I think that's the weakest one of the set (or fits the least, whichever you prefer).

One last thing about martial, I'd expect to see scenes of soldiers or peacekeepers using or interacting with the items before I'd call it martial.

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Martial critique requested

Not one to follow links. Too much already present on FM so finding a way to embed the image is better.
I looked only at the single image.
Strongly presented, feels very 3D, "comin' at ya". Nice conversion, processing.

Scott

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

The Raven

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Martial critique requested

I agree about posting, but need to pay for that option thank you for the help though

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:13 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Martial critique requested

alohadave wrote:
That may be the definition of martial, but I don't get any imagery of war from these pictures. I see highly stylized images of weapons and ammunition that don't necessarily indicate any war or armed forces association.

The pictures themselves look good, and they are consistent in style except for the pistol. I think that's the weakest one of the set (or fits the least, whichever you prefer).

One last thing about martial, I'd expect to see scenes of soldiers or peacekeepers using or interacting with the items before I'd call it martial.

Introspection is the key. We all view things from different angles. Usually, these are supplemented by preconceived ideas, concepts, or constraints. You are correct in your view that the images do not reflect "war" but certainly the potential for conflict. If one views the Karate masters clinched fist, does he see a fist, or a weapon??

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Martial critique requested

Welcome to FM & to the PC Forum.
I took a lengthy hiatus myself, so I know how it feels (i.e. like a rusty shutterbug) to get back in the game again.

You can embed the image into the message.

From your Zenfolio account, click on share. Dialogue box opens, click/expand "Get the embed code". Choose image size (I chose 800x537). Select BBCode (i.e. not HTML). Copy the code in the dialogue box and paste it directly into the body of this message.

Mar 02, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Martial critique requested

I agree with alohadave's comments. There's a gun but there's no sense of it being military or martial.

Now a rifle with a bayonet might qualify because very few police or civilians tend to use bayonets on their rifles, but not a handgun on its own.

- Alan

May 07, 2013 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password