New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · fix 1d mark2n or buy a used mark4

rayross
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · fix 1d mark2n or buy a used mark4

I do nature and senic photography and a lot of high school sports. I have a 7d and a mark 2n. the 2n is 6 years old and is on its 2nd shutter with around 200k shots. the camera is in like new condition. canon no longer services the mark 2 and I am concerned about it.
My options are put a new shutter in it and keep it till it dies or buy a used mark 4.
the other concerns are the batteries and charger are original and finding replacements will be hard and expensive.
Any thoughts??
Thanks.
Ray

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · fix 1d mark2n or buy a used mark4

Since they are selling for around $600, it is still viable to repair, if a shutter is all you need.

If you are replacing, why not buy a full frame instead of the 1D4, since you have full frame lenses? A used 1Ds2 is especially attractive, as is the 1Ds3 with even better IQ and features. These should work for sports, and definitely for outdoors.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:55 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · fix 1d mark2n or buy a used mark4

I got the 1Ds MKIII but the fps is too slow and the buffer's tiny. The MKIV would be a real step up on Hi ISO FPS, LCD, etc if the 1.3x crop works for you.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · fix 1d mark2n or buy a used mark4

I say shoot it until it blows up - it could go another 150k on the shutter. When it dies, if Canon will still repair it, and you still want to repair it, do it. If not, sell the charger and batteries, and get yourself an upgrade. Either way, I don't think preempting the repair is a cost effective solution - especially since you have a back-up camera.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · fix 1d mark2n or buy a used mark4

rayross wrote:
I do nature and senic photography and a lot of high school sports. I have a 7d and a mark 2n. the 2n is 6 years old and is on its 2nd shutter with around 200k shots. the camera is in like new condition. canon no longer services the mark 2 and I am concerned about it.
My options are put a new shutter in it and keep it till it dies or buy a used mark 4.

leave it. a new shutter could blow quicker than the one thats in there now . the actuation figure is not a guarantee , its only a mean figure. there are plenty of cases reported on here where a replacement shuuter has died with less than 30k on it .
the other concerns are the batteries and charger are original and finding replacements will be hard and expensive.
Any thoughts??
Thanks.
Ray

i wouldnt be that worried about batteries . there are plenty of good cheap 3rd party ones around and its quite easy to replace dead cells yourself (you can find videos on youtube) .
I would however keep the end caps from old dead genuine batteries . these fit much better than most 3rd part ones . I had 2 3rd party batteries along with genuine one when I got my used mk2n . I thought the 3rd party ones were junk becuse the camera would just keep shutting off at the wrong moment . the genuine one was not a problem (but would not hold much charge anymore) I swapped the caps over and the 3rd party battery was great. loads of charge

But now to the question of repair the 'n or get a mk4 . well unless canon's prices have gone up alot more I would say its not really a question. the mk4 will cost loads more . If you can afford the mk4 then I wouldnt be spending some of that cash on a mk2n repair. the 'n is a good camera (although I never really loved mine ) BUT THE MK4 looks a whole different (better) animal .

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.