Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · bye for now

thrice
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · bye for now

Alright folks, I'm going to take a hiatus because I feel I might get into a little hot water talking about product a little too passionately and possibly offend some people.

Obviously I was a big Leica fan before I started working for them but I cannot in good conscience claim to be unbiased.
I also get tempted to let too much info slip out and that isn't good for my position.

I may be back in a couple of months when the critics have had their say.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · bye for now

Cya Dan

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:24 PM
VladiD
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · bye for now

Farewell threads on forums are silly.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · bye for now

Good luck Dan ... enjoy the hiatus. Come on back when it feels right again.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · bye for now

they are a bit silly because I know I can find him on the next window on my browser

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:43 PM
_julian_
• •
p.1 #6 · bye for now

Does one have to be unbiased to hold or present an opinion in these forums? If the interest is disclosed I don't see a problem. That said, there's so much anticipation about this camera, and the level of scrutiny and analysis it's currently receiving feels a bit out of hand. At the same time, that's kind of to be expected during the first few days that the new model is delivered into the hands of waiting customers. And the attention is ultimately a good thing in spreading awareness of the camera which will hopefully prosper.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · bye for now

Stay safe, Dan.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:31 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.1 #8 · bye for now

Dan, be well and take your time.
But don't let some trolls let you down because you have your preferences and opinions.
Any good information is better than none, and I wish you miss these forums enough to come back soon. I'm not that active anymore but I love to read here. Hope this continue for many years.
Cheers

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:41 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · bye for now

I never imagined people can get so emotional and irrational at the launch of a product because it's not what they were dreaming it would be. The last couple of weeks were total madness on this forum's Leica M threads. I fully understand Dan's decision, and I would do the same if I was him.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · bye for now

Sorry to hear that Dan. Wishing you well.

I guess I'll have to see what all the fuss is about. I'm not into Leica gear, so it's all over my head.

Regardless, I don't really see why you need a hiatus or have to try to be impartial. Full disclosure needn't be embarrassing or compromising to your input.

I've loved seeing your photos and would miss that opportunity. So I hope you will re-think, and maybe get more into the imaging and technical rather than responding to boneheads.

Best to you!

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #11 · bye for now

Didn't knew u also worked for them.

a Shame your going but quite understandable.
Its strange people get so emotional about the new M. And quite bizar so many people just expect everything to change to suit them best.

all the best and enjoy your m240 and 50 apo.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:27 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #12 · bye for now

sad to see one of the talented ones go. we have a lot less around here than people would guess and it seems like we are losing most and not gaining any.

I'd rather see the people youre referencing leave. The sum total of their output does not match yours for quality.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #13 · bye for now

Keep your head up. Don't let other opinions spoil it for you. In the end it's just camera gear.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #14 · bye for now

Goodluck dude. Have you considered starting a new identity on the forums and contributing through anonymity As a bonus, you could troll the Leica forum and we can accuse you of being a Leica hater. JK of course.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:36 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · bye for now

VladiD wrote
Farewell threads on forums are silly.

+1

I have no idea what this is about. The last thing I saw from thrice was a nice seascape images.

Ignorance is bliss...

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · bye for now

There is a heated discussion in the M240 threads about the camera's viability in general and the live view implementation in specific. Obviously it isn't easy to stay impartial when you work for Leica.

Have fun, Daniel, and return with some nice new images!

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #17 · bye for now

Don't go Dan - I always find your information (and images) very enlightening. Take care and don't let the Leica bashers bring you down!

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:21 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #18 · bye for now

Dan, just stick to posting pics, and avoid the Leica threads.
That said, spend the extra time shooting. Have a good one.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:51 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #19 · bye for now

The employment angle is something to be concerned with, easy enough to understand that, and that is a quite separate matter.

The internet is a hurly burly world with plenty of argy bargy, and mutual respect is sometimes hard to come by. People will hold strong opinions and this is to be welcomed, as it illustrates that they take their attitude to their involvement in photography seriously and it has a special place in their hearts - good!

We learn by having (sometimes heated) exchanges, imagine for one second if you had no access to the knowledge store at just this one website. FM is one of the more tolerant places, I have not been kicked out yet. I think often the most significant information comes from people holding contrary views to the majority.

Quite a few people have ambivalent views to their involvement here, some deal with it by restricting themselves to just posting images, others by adopting a 'come and go' regime, and too many (in my view) disappear prematurely.

All the best, thrice, esp. with work; and thanks for your input over the period, much appreciated. Come back anytime!

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · bye for now

Dan, can't blame you. Working for a camera brand and also participating in forums, I can imagine could quickly lead to employment difficulties.

Hopefully see you again soon!

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password