New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

I much prefer the rendering of the ZA135/1.8.

The new APO 135/2 seems very impressive in other aspects but it sure isn't for me.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:13 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

kosmoskatten wrote:
I much prefer the rendering of the ZA135/1.8.

The new APO 135/2 seems very impressive in other aspects but it sure isn't for me.

That's a very fast conclusion.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:31 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Double ghosting does not inherently mean "over-corrected SA" - what you often don't want for smooth BG rendering ("bright-ring bokeh").

To get a guarantee of smooth BG rendering, you have to have LOTS of under-corrected SA, like in the Canon 50L @ F1.4 or the 85L @ F1.4. Unfortunately this will have a profound impact on how sharp the images will be in the focus plane at large apertures - they may have a sharp inner "core" of detail, but detail contrast will be very low.

To make a lens sharp at WO apertures, you need SA to be low. No under- and no over-correction. And with low SA, spurious resolution (frequency doubling) can be the result in repetitive patterns like fences, bricks, striped surfaces and so on.

This is not a sign of any error, if the lens is sharp in the plane of focus the frequency doubling actually means the lens is good.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:33 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

wiseguy010 wrote:
That's a very fast conclusion.

Sure, it might be a bit fast but since I am very familiar with the ZA 135/1.8 I don't see the same quality in the subjective bokeh department with the 135/2. All I can see is that it looks worse to me. Probably is better corrected and all that jazz, it just isn't as groovy.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Jamesmdo

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Someone asked for tests at several F with a book , I can't remember who now , :-( , but I uploaded them to flick at higher resolution . Hope they are useful ;-)

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:51 PM
paulesko
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Looks really good!

You can see an amazing corner sharpness wide open on that book shots. And I donīt see much LoCa either, although itīs visible.That comparison with the ZA version shoud be a nice head to head, hope to see it soon

Thanks for the pics James

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:06 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

How can you not love how this lens draws? "end of day" looks more like a painting than a photograph.

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:18 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Hey, I know that guy, he didn't tell me he'd bought one! He also has the 100/2 makro afaik, I wonder if he'd do a comparison. James used to use the 135/1.8 on his a900, so he may be able to offer an informal comparison as well.

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Jamesmdo

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

ricardovaste wrote:
Hey, I know that guy, he didn't tell me he'd bought one! He also has the 100/2 makro afaik, I wonder if he'd do a comparison. James used to use the 135/1.8 on his a900, so he may be able to offer an informal comparison as well.

Hi sir ! Nice to see you ;-)

I don't have the 100 any more , I sold it to get this one , but I probably can use it for the week end , let me try , if I can ill do some comparing if you like .

Nice to read you Richard

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:12 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Some other pictures:

http://zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=950

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:58 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

mpmendenhall wrote:
The "donut" bokeh that I'm seeing is mainly in the areas slightly out of focus, where blur discs are a handful of pixels wide in the "large"-sized image. Look, e.g., at some of the pointlike specular highlights in some of the duck images (on the slightly defocused rear ducks). This transitions to "perfect" bokeh in the bigger blur circles further away. I just thought this was interesting because it seems to be due to some common factor in the design of many APO lenses, regardless of make.

Now when you point it out, I see it in some of the smaller blur circles. I also see a slightly brghter ring around some of the medium-sized blurs circles. Interesting point, maybe I will check it out on my Sigma and Leica 150 and 180 mm APO lenses, but I will be away from them for a couple of weeks now.

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Jamesmdo

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

I have uploaded some from this morning , really impressed with the lens , it manages highlights and CA so well

Mar 02, 2013 at 07:21 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Jamesmdo wrote:
I have uploaded some from this morning , really impressed with the lens , it manages highlights and CA so well

Thank you James. I completely agree with you.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:25 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Thanks James! Nice shots!
The bokeh style looks like 100MP and 50MP to me.
Strong contrast on OOF areas.
Very sharp with what looks like slower transition to out of focus than 100MP and of course better corrected (APO).
I hope to post some ZA 135/1.8 shots to show the differences.

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:25 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Just to let people know I am not saying the 135/2 APO is a poor lens in any way, shape or form, quite the opposite. Just saying it does not look as bokelicious as the ZA.

It is probably a better lens in all other aspects.
From the shots I have seen it does look like a mix of Zeiss and Leica APO Elmarit in bokeh.
Just my opinion.

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:43 AM
JaanOs
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Yeah, "at the end of day" it did not matter do we purchase this lens because it deeply impress us or to find out it's no go
Doh, it is Lensaholic ferial nape pain...

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:38 AM
BJNY

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

Is there a tripod collar mount?

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:48 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

There is no tripod collar mount, but you can check this out:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CB-YS-Pkg&type=3&eq=CB-YS-Pkg-001&desc=Lens-Support-Pkg%2c-single-Quick-Release

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:51 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · zeiss 135/2 APO:first shots

There is a kind of lens weight 'dead zone' around 900 grams for which manufacturers don't feel they want to add a tripod collar (more weight, superfluous if handheld). This one is 930 grams. I suppose they also think the modern style is handholding wide open or near to it, so higher shutter speeds. Often higher ISO for the gritty film look. And it's clearly intended for full-frame bodies that are large and robust, and can handle a lens of that weight.

That would be good to see, Wayne, agree on the MP look - the new Zeiss signature, like it or loathe it, lol. The cinematic look, see all these high contrast, often blue filtered movies these days?

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.