Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

newtophoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

I'd like some input and opinion. I'm not invested in either system and I am still in the return window, but seeing the DR performance on the D600 is making me rethink my purchase. I don't know what I like to shoot yet since I'm new to photography, but it'd be just general/traveling/portraits/landscape shooting I guess (no sports/wildlife). The canon lens line up does attract me more such as the 24-70 II and the 135L. Thank you for any guidance.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Hardcore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

I would have a very hard time switching to the d600 from a 5d mkiii. I would take the d800 over the 5dmkiii, but not the d600.

I'm a lover of the dynamic range. Don't get me wrong, the d600 is a great camera, it just isn't in the same league as the 5d mkiii and d800. I own both the d800 and d600.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Mataz426
• •
p.1 #3 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Keep the Mark III and don't look back, it's a fine camera

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:49 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #4 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Going from the 5D III to the D600 would be a downgrade in just about every way with the exception of DR. However, since you are new to photography I wonder how much you are actually getting out of the 5D III's capabilities. I think the the 5D III is probably the best all around camera body available, and if money were no object I would be shooting it myself. The D800 is the finest camera around for landscape shooting, no doubt, but I think its overkill for your intended purpose. Now the D600 is probably the second best option for all around shooting duties, especially if budget is a consideration. Value is the main reason I decided to get the D600, since it will be great at what I shoot. It is also smaller and lighter and would be easier to pack as a travel camera. But without budget constraints, the 5D III is a better overall camera because it just has a better AF system and is probably more durable. The lenses you mention are top notch, and you are also buying into a lens system and that should be something you think of. Nikon has similar lenses to what you are looking at, and the differences aren't all the huge. That said, if you aren't sold on the 5D III then you might as well give the D600 a try, its not like you couldn't swap back. You might try renting a D600 and a lens or two, if you have time.
Paul

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:57 AM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #5 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

IMHO, D600 is a better choice as it is cheaper and has a cheap wi-fi option which could be very useful.

5D mark III has better AF, but I doubt you will notice the difference.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:01 AM
sb in ak
• •
p.1 #6 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Personally, I'd have a hard time going from the 5D3 to a D600--I'd be happier with a D800. But depending on what you're shooting you might be better off with a D600 or 6D. Heck, even APS-C of some sort.

I switched from a 5D2 to a D800 for the latitude in pushing shadows for landscape shots. If I were into sports or similar, I would have stayed with Canon and gotten the 5D3 without thinking twice. Better customer service and quality control IMO.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:16 AM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.1 #7 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

I made this switch recently.

If your new to photography why do you have a 5D mark III? Not saying thats bad, but thats really not the starter camera most people get in with. So if money is no object keep the 5d mark III.

When I got the 5d mark III the body was 3400-3500. Kept it for a bit and sold it to save some money. I picked up a D600 for 2k. For the 1500 difference being a non-pro. I like the cost savings.

The 5D mark III is much more comfortable if your going to be shooting 6-8 hours a day. But for the money and the DR I get with the D600 it far suppresses my "needs".

Nikon VS canon you have Pros and cons. I still like canons menu system better, maybe cause I used it for 7 years.

But both are fine cameras and will take fine pictures. I think most of the time we get caught up too much in the gear/brand etc.

If you show somebody an awesome picture non photographers don't ask your Fstop...what lens...was it a kit lens or a 5,000 prime. They see the picture and feel the scene. That can be done with a cell phone or a lecia. If the camera is getting what you want their is no need to switch.

Good luck on your journey.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Use whichever one fits your hands better and whichever control scheme you prefer. Both can make beautiful images.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:27 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #9 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Before deciding to upgrade/change equipment, you need to take lots of photos and decide why your current gear is inadequate

Want blurry backgrounds and low-light shooting capability? buy a portrait lens like the 85mm 1.8

Want to take photos of insects? buy a macro lens

You need to decide what you want to take photos of before wasting money on more gear just because you read something on the internet

The 5D III is a fine all-around camera with excellent dynamic range and autofocus/response. It will serve you well

Yes, the dynamic range of the D600 may outperform it, but the difference is small, and the 5D3 has other advantages, it's all swings and roundabouts. The level of experience of the photographer is much more important

Enjoy the learning journey

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:35 AM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #10 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Having made the switch from Canon to Nikon recently, I'm gonna chme in here and then ask a question.

The 5D3 has a better build and button spacing over, well, any Nikon. You'll immediately notice that. The menu systems are different, but contain about the same features and changing settings on the Nikon generally requires a 2-button push, where as Canon is more 1 button and there's a time dealy to make the change. The meter readout is backwards between the two - something I having to work to remember. AF on the Canon is newer and maybe better or may not - my opinion at this point is anything the Canon can't do, the Nikon can't do it either. Still testing the other way. The Nikon files come out with a nicer color saturation.

FWIW, I did go d800 when I switched for the extra pixwla WHEN USED IN DX MODE. DX mode makes the d800 files similar in size to my 1D4. Outside of that, it's a soupped up d600.

My question however, is for all the guys saying Nikon's 5D3 match is the D800. Where do you guys get this? Spec-wise, which is what 90% of all people compare when looking at 2 items, the D600 and 5D3 are almost exact equals - ISO performance, AF is a push (IMO), FPS is the same, Nikon offers a crop mode while Canon doesn't. No doubt there is a difference in build quality and that leans to Canon. As for glass, I think the 2 companies are about equal at this point.

OP, go and hold the cameras and play with them and then decide - it's your camera body and your camera system and your money. For what you're talking about shootnig, you'll be pleased with either.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #11 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

scottam10 wrote:
Yes, the dynamic range of the D600 may outperform it, but the difference is small, and the 5D3 has other advantages, it's all swings and roundabouts. The level of experience of the photographer is much more important

Don't know what you are talking about, but for someone who actually needs to pull up shadows, the difference is huge.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM
newtophoto

p.1 #12 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

Thank you for all the replies. I wasn't interested in going for a crop camera, so it was between the 6D, D600, and 5DM3. Out of the three, The Mark 3 looked the best, but now I'm wondering if it's actually worth the money since there seems to be no sensor improvement over the Mark 2. And reading more about Nikon's DR performance on it's cameras is making me question if I made the correct choice since I intend to keep the camera for the long term.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

newtophoto wrote:
just general/traveling/portraits/landscape shooting I guess (no sports/wildlife). The canon lens line up does attract me more such as the 24-70 II and the 135L. Thank you for any guidance.

i switched to nikon after 10 years with canon. if i could have afforded the 1dx i never would have made the switch. but i could not so the d3s is my go to body for sports and the D800 for landscape and family stuff. concerning the lenses i am not seeing a big difference between nikon and canon. i think where canon pulls away from nikon in lenses is the big white 500mm and above. oh, and the 85L.

with what you will shoot (list above) i recommend a D800. it is a great body. great for travel, portraits (flash system is better with nikon), and for landscape the 800 is awesome.

grant

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #14 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

If youíre new to photography, the technical performance differences between the two cameras is probably completely irrelevant for your purposes, and will probably remain so for a long time. If budget is a concern, the less expensive camera might have been a wiser choice, otherwise, thereís absolutely no reason to doubt your purchase. You own a superb camera.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Tete
• •
p.1 #15 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

newtophoto wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. I wasn't interested in going for a crop camera, so it was between the 6D, D600, and 5DM3. Out of the three, The Mark 3 looked the best, but now I'm wondering if it's actually worth the money since there seems to be no sensor improvement over the Mark 2. And reading more about Nikon's DR performance on it's cameras is making me question if I made the correct choice since I intend to keep the camera for the long term.

The problem when you are noob is GAS is at a maximum and it gets real easy to get caught up trying to get the very best everything right away. Or buying based on perceived specs. Etc. as you shoot more you will realize that gear only plays a role on these here forums. If I never visit these forums I would probably have the same camera and lenses for ever. I agree with most that for a moo. The 5D3 will never see its ful potential. Heck even the experienced photographer will even rarely maximize such a beast. I would consider it pro where as the D600 is more consumer. TheysW both will accomplish the same thing. Only one of those might and take this with a grain of salt, might survive a trip to hell and back and that would probably be the 5D. What you are paying for in the 5D over the D600 won't show up in a spec sheet. Its alot of the little things. Buttons for more control, more options in the menu. A full magnesium body, buffer, perhaps more video options. Etc.

If you have money to burn and want the best. You may already have that. If you want to save a couple bucks and want the best for you, a new amateur, the. The D600 is a very, very good start.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:07 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

I switched from 5D3 to D600 and have been happy with the switch. No regrets here. However, the glass choices for Nikon were part of the central issue for me. I have exactly the FF system I want. I personally feel like Nikon's focus consistency is better, and that pleases me greatly ((D600 + Sig 35) > (5D3 + 35L) IMO).

If you are more into Canon's glass system, then I'd say stick with Canon. 5D3 may not have an up to date sensor, but Canon will catch up and possibly pull ahead of Nikon in that department at some point. It's a game of leapfrog.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:05 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #17 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

This might help you. I'm not always a fan of the technical content of digital rev videos, but he does show the difference between the cameras:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqpqOoeBQM

Whether you need all of the capabilities of the 5d3 is a really key question. As a new photographer I significantly doubt it. I've been photographing for 10 years and do lots of weddings so I do use most of what it can give but 10 years ago I needed nothing like it.

That said, my personal view is that lenses are more important than sensors *for a lot of work* and IMO Canon have the lenses I'd rather use.

Whichever way you go I'm sure you'll be happy...

Good luck with your decision.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:19 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #18 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

bipock wrote:
My question however, is for all the guys saying Nikon's 5D3 match is the D800. Where do you guys get this? Spec-wise, which is what 90% of all people compare when looking at 2 items, the D600 and 5D3 are almost exact equals - ISO performance, AF is a push (IMO), FPS is the same, Nikon offers a crop mode while Canon doesn't. No doubt there is a difference in build quality and that leans to Canon. As for glass, I think the 2 companies are about equal at this point.

The 5d3 and the d800 are not quite the same, but they are the same *level* ie. they are pro cameras with pro AF systems, pro features, pro build etc... They both have advantages and disadvantages and which one you choose depends on the work you do. The d600, great though it is, is a consumer level camera.

"AF is a push (IMO)"
The AF of the d600 is nothing like the 5d3, or even the d800, if that was the point you were making here... See video above.

As for lenses, it depends on your work. If you want a set of high end primes, you really want to be with Canon. While Canon's zooms *mostly* have an edge the difference is much smaller.

If people are comparing cameras just on specs, they're comparing them incorrectly

As for the OP, for someone so new to photography the Nikon vs. Canon tiny differences are totally irrelevant though.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:25 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #19 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

I know this is not a popular thought especially here.

Seeing the issues with the D600/D800 and how Nikon treat its customers, recommending these cameras would be cruel. Just read the multitude of threads and complains.
Until Nikon gets its act together on QC and CS problems, I wouldn't wish this upon by anyone.

I don't want to come out shouting go Canon because their 6D is a dorky camera and I wonder what's with the overpriced 1dc. But the 5d3 is an astounding piece of image maker in skilled hands. See what Karel Donk has to say about the 5d3. He was quite vocal against Canon in the past.

"This review is going to be a long one as I have a lot of things I want to discuss, but for those of you who want the short version, I can tell you just stop reading and go buy the 5D Mark III. You will not be disappointed. In all honesty I can say that the 5D Mark III is currently the best DSLR on the market, apart from the 1DX. Itís a work of art. I bought two myself. And if youíre wondering about the Nikon D800, I can tell you that the 5D Mark III is a much better choice. I wouldnít buy the D800 even if it was priced at $2000 and the 5D Mark III was still $3500. That is how good the 5D Mark III is. If you think Iím biased, think about the fact that I have recommended the Nikon D700 in the past instead of the 5D Mark II."

http://blog.kareldonk.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-review/

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:36 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #20 · 5d mark 3 to D600?

bipock wrote:
Having made the switch from Canon to Nikon recently, I'm gonna chme in here and then ask a question.

The meter readout is backwards between the two - something I having to work to remember.

Don't want to go off topic, but I want to point out that with Nikon, you can change the meter readout to read both ways. Can't remember which menu option it is, but it's in there... I remember b/c my D600 came inverted to what I was used to from my D7000.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password