Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

I just heard that Nikon sent back my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D without fixing it. Parts are no longer available. I thought it was less than five years out of production, but apparently it was last manufactured in 2005 or 2006. There's no way for me to tell whether it's really worn out inside (plausible), or a victim of Nikon's all or nothing repair policy (out of lemon-soaked paper napkins or something).

Unfortunately there is no new replacement, Nikon or third party. Both low distortion and close focus have gone out of fashion. As far as I can see no current mid range zoom for FX even gets to 1:3 magnification.

I suppose I'll buy a used one and hope it's in good condition internally as well as externally. One of the problems with mine was a soft corner.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

I loved my 28-105 and it's simply the best $130 I spent in photography gear, nothing even comes close. I see minty ones on the B&S very often and they go around $160. Another option is the Tamron 28-300 VC which has a close focus distance and excellent all around performance.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Try asking Authorized Photo Service in Chicago for a repair estimate; great reputation, unlike Nikon's repair (dis)service.

http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Yep, find a good one, or even a couple of good ones while you can.

I'm hoping Nikon updates this lens with better optics, but keeps the pseudo-macro function as I find it very very useful out hiking on the trail.

I had two at one time - one got whacked pretty hard and would not focus at 28mm - that was fixed locally. The other had a pretty sticky zoom and I was told that there were no parts available to fix that other than to cannibalize another (but that would be very very expensive labor wise).

I need to find another great mint copy myself soon . . .

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM
platscha
• • •
p.1 #5 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

I bought a used one and love that lens, unfortunately I dropped it one day and it broke in 3 pieces. In San Diego there is an authorized Nikon repair called Kurt's Camera, they fixed it for me and has worked perfect for another couple of years. I highly recommend them, it was not cheap but worth it as I love this lens and rarely find them listed used, I would love to find another just in case to have on hand. Great macro too.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:21 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

There's actually One on the B&S now for $160...

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #7 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

A couple are listed on Cameta Camera's site, available as of last night. I'm guessing (pure guess) that it's sold enough copies to still be available fairly easily for a while yet.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #8 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

I can also buy one used locally or several from keh. But my non-repairable 28-105 was the first lens I bought other than a kit lens so it has some personal value.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:51 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Having owned a couple of these and tested a few more, I would recommend to anyone thinking of buying one that you either get it from somewhere with a return policy or have a chance to shoot with it before purchasing. I've found most of the samples I've had my hands on to have varying amounts of decentering which really shows up even on a 12MP FX body. Also they tend to get sticky zoom rings which, as I'm told, is not easily repairable if at all due to lack of parts and having to take most of the lens apart to do it.

Don't let this dissuade you from getting one though.

John

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:45 PM
bikemore

p.1 #10 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Second APS in Chicago.

Decent results from this lens. The macro function is ok but a bit fiddly to access. This was about $130.
Some person's summer house:

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #11 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Is that a copy of the leakywater house?

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #12 · 28-105 is no longer repairable

Unrepairable or not, the lens came back better than when it went to Nikon. I picked it up this afternoon and compared it to the used lens in the camera store. Mine was better optically. The soft upper, left corner was sharp again. I guess taking it apart and putting it back together fixed an internal alignment problem.

Mechanically mine is in sad shape. The one in the store looked good as new.

Maybe I'm a beneficiary rather than a victim of Nikon's "all or nothing" repair policy this time. They fixed something and didn't charge me because they couldn't fix it all.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password