Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

kelceyann

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

I am just getting my equipment going, and have a basic Canon Rebel XT. I just bought a Canon 420EX Speedlight, and because I have never used a flash before I have no idea if the thing is working correctly. It certainly doesn't act like it.

I have a feeling this is due to the fact that my camera is a TTL camera and not an E-TTL camera, and I may have to resell this thing and go to a lower-end flash to match my body. I wanted the ability to aim my flash, but maybe its not possible, or maybe I got a bum deal...

Any help on this is appreciated!:/

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:52 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

Your rebel is ettl. Your flash is ettl.

They should both work together fine, but it takes a bit of knowledge to get it working.

describe what your doing, what mode on the camera, aperture,.shutter speed etc, what mode on the flash.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

Note the 420ex wont work off camera with the rebel XT (without triggers or an st-e2 or flash commander).

I think the T2i can act as commander, the 60d and 7d certainly can.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:13 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

By aim do you mean bounce or do you mean having the flash off camera?

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

Not sure what problem you are having, but I am guessing it might have to do with what mode you've got the camera in. As others have said, the 420ex should be just fine on the XT.

Spend 5 minutes reading this, and try again:
http://pricelessimages.net/tips/flash.html

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

I think you might be getting a few things confused.

First of all when people say off camera flash - This means your using your flash remotely and not attached to your camera. This can be done with canons infared triggering system with an ST-E2 attachment or other remote radio triggers.

Your 420ex should be an ettl flash that is compatible with your rebel XT. It's head can tilt and swivel so you should be have the ability to aim and bounce the flash as necessary.

You may need to elaborate a bit on what is not working. Does it not fire when you swivel or aim the flash? Or do you not get the correct exposure when you aim your flash elsewhere to bounce it?

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

kelceyann wrote:
I am just getting my equipment going, and have a basic Canon Rebel XT. I just bought a Canon 420EX Speedlight, and because I have never used a flash before I have no idea if the thing is working correctly. It certainly doesn't act like it.

I have a feeling this is due to the fact that my camera is a TTL camera and not an E-TTL camera, and I may have to resell this thing and go to a lower-end flash to match my body. I wanted the ability to aim my flash, but maybe its not possible, or
...Show more

First thing you might do is go to Canon Support, look up your speedlight, and see if you can download your manual for it. Do the same for your camera manual if you do not have that handy. Make sure you understand the flash setup for your camera.

If you want to make sure your flash is working correctly, then find a camera shop near you and have them check your camera and flash with a flash/light Meter. If no camera shop them find someone who is a friend or even a local camera club member that might have a flash/light meter. A flash/light meter is going to be the most accurate way of testing for flash output based on what you set in your camera with your flash mounted.

Jason

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:36 AM
Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

Get the Speedliters Handbook by Syl Arena before you go any further

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Mr.Konstantin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

I am with Mike on this one.
Get yourself "Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites" by Syl and you're set.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:31 PM
kelceyann

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

Wow, thanks for the feedback.

1. Yes-what I mean is that the flash is not firing when I push the trigger, and this is when it is mounted to the camera.
2. So yeah...I will go down to the shop and see what they can tell me. The manual online was what gave me the impression that I may have a flash built for an "a type" camera and is extremely limited for my "b type".
3. In any case, I have no idea how to use a flash (my mentor of old basically told me flash was from the devil) so the book is a great tip. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Off-Camera Flash...Need advice.

If you would like to learn about flashes and technique go to http://www.strobist.blogspot.ca/ There's a wealth of information over there.

Does the flash power up? Need new batteries? It's been a very long time since I've used the 420ex, but there is a switch on it to turn it to slave mode. Make sure this is not on slave mode... I can't remember if it still fires if it is in slave mode.

Also, don't be afraid of the flash. The flash allows you to create light and manipulate it to what you need. It can be a great tool to be creative.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password