Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · That was then, this is now...

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · That was then, this is now...

I've been following almost every thread that has been posted in the past few weeks, and something that keeps standing out is, "we all start somewhere". We've all made a ton of mistakes and shot weddings that we aren't proud of.

I started shooting weddings because I had friends that were getting married and I had a camera (probably the way most people start). I'm embarrassed when I look back on my early weddings. I think to myself, "I can't believe I delivered that to a client!" My turning point was in 2009 when I took a night class with a professional wedding photographer. I told him that I shot weddings (with my Canon 20D on auto and kit lenses) and he tore into me pretty severely. After that conversation I had two options: take this seriously or quit shooting weddings. I decided to take it seriously and I'm glad I did.

Below I've posted a few images from 2007 and comparable situations from 2012 (and one from 2013). I feel that there has been a lot of growth in 5 years! It often takes failure before growth occurs, but it's always worth it.

I'd love to hear stories or see images of growth from other people in the group. How far have you come and how did you get there?

Getting Ready Image from 2007...

Getting Ready Image from 2012...

Bridal Portrait from 2007...

Bridal Portrait from 2012...

Group Image from 2007...

Group Image from 2012...

First Dance Image from 2007...

First Dance Image from 2013...

Edited on Feb 27, 2013 at 07:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:42 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #2 · That was then, this is now...

It's crazy how fast improvement happens eh? Cool to see the progression you've made

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:58 PM
kwhaley29
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · That was then, this is now...

For some reason I can't see any of these images. All I get is a little icon in the middle and some text in the upper left corner of where the image should be (this image is copyrighted by the owner). This happens occasionally with some posts but not others. Any thoughts as to why or has this happened to anyone else?

It's the same for both my desktop and my phone. Very strange.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:18 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #4 · That was then, this is now...

kwhaley29 wrote:
For some reason I can't see any of these images. All I get is a little icon in the middle and some text in the upper left corner of where the image should be (this image is copyrighted by the owner). This happens occasionally with some posts but not others. Any thoughts as to why or has this happened to anyone else?

It's the same for both my desktop and my phone. Very strange.

How about now?

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:27 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #5 · That was then, this is now...

Yep, thanks!

That is definitely a noticeable improvement and I can tell that you're focusing a lot more on creating images, as opposed to just taking pictures.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #6 · That was then, this is now...

Your images from 2007 were all about getting the shot. Your images now are all about making the shot, and doing it right. You're improved tremendously and your recent work is really, really good.

Okay, I don't know if this was an invite to share this stuff, but I'm posting here too. Sorry if this is a hijack. But we've all come a long, long way.

Image from my first wedding in 2010:

Image from one of my last weddings in 2012:

2010:

2012:

Edited on Feb 27, 2013 at 07:53 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:47 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · That was then, this is now...

kwhaley29 wrote:
Yep, thanks!

That is definitely a noticeable improvement and I can tell that you're focusing a lot more on creating images, as opposed to just taking pictures.

Glad it worked! My new site seems to have some compatibility issues, and that's where I linked them from.

Before I would just try and get through a shot list and pay no attention to what I was doing. I photographed my first 15 weddings that way. The crazy thing was that I thought I was good! My sister's convinced me that I knew what I was doing and they kept referring me to their friends. It wasn't until I actually starting studying photography that I realized how little I knew.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:49 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #8 · That was then, this is now...

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Okay, I don't know if this was an invite to share this stuff, but I'm posting here too. Sorry if this is a hijack.

http://michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/Weddings/Laurel-and-Joe/i-RH6Fqtc/1/XL/C%20%28165%29-XL.jpg

http://michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/Weddings/Veronica-and-Michael/i-vX5xSnc/0/XL/MJP-0140-XL.jpg

That's exactly why I posted this topic! I love seeing improvement. Everyone shows off their best stuff and it's cool to see what came before.

The difference in these images is amazing! Thanks for sharing

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #9 · That was then, this is now...

And clearly I REALLY loved to watermark my images in a big way. Eesh. Thank goodness the past is the past...

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · That was then, this is now...

may have to jump in on this! good stuff.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morby
• • •
p.1 #11 · That was then, this is now...

Prettym1k3 wrote:
And clearly I REALLY loved to watermark my images in a big way. Eesh. Thank goodness the past is the past...

My friend once said, "watermarking your images is like peeing on all of your belongings so that nobody steals them." I understand the reason why people watermark, but I'd rather have my images stolen (or not get credit), than take away from them with a watermark. My personal opinion which not many people agree with.

And I always love the "COPYRIGHT" watermarks that go right across the couples faces

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:04 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #12 · That was then, this is now...

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Your images from 2007 were all about getting the shot. Your images now are all about making the shot, and doing it right. You're improved tremendously and your recent work is really, really good.

Okay, I don't know if this was an invite to share this stuff, but I'm posting here too. Sorry if this is a hijack. But we've all come a long, long way.

http://michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/Weddings/Laurel-and-Joe/i-RH6Fqtc/1/XL/C%20%28165%29-XL.jpg

http://michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/Weddings/Veronica-and-Michael/i-vX5xSnc/0/XL/MJP-0140-XL.jpg

2010:

http://michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/Weddings/Laurel-and-Joe/i-phmV4Cg/2/XL/E%20%2820%29-XL.jpg

2012:

http://michaeljamesphotostudio.smugmug.com/Weddings/Veronica-and-Michael/i-85HpKBS/0/XL/MJP-0247-XL.jpg

good lord, the logo! :P

great improvements to both of you!

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:12 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #13 · That was then, this is now...

At least you didn't start your career with the insane amount of tilt I did haha. We joke that I must have had one bad ear infection in 2008. I shot a whole wedding in tilt once. I kid you not!! I thought it was soooo dynamic!

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:32 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #14 · That was then, this is now...

Awesome job on the improvement!

The thing that I am noticing here as well though is the higher end weddings that both of you are (I'm assuming) shooting are leading to much better locations. I'm slowly raising my prices trying to get out of the Motel 6 conference room receptions and the getting dressed in the nursery at church shots. The shots of mine that I love are the ones that have something special in them (cool car, awesome location, cool reception venue).

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:47 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #15 · That was then, this is now...

That Photog wrote:
Awesome job on the improvement!

The thing that I am noticing here as well though is the higher end weddings that both of you are (I'm assuming) shooting are leading to much better locations. I'm slowly raising my prices trying to get out of the Motel 6 conference room receptions and the getting dressed in the nursery at church shots. The shots of mine that I love are the ones that have something special in them (cool car, awesome location, cool reception venue).

Locations do make a difference, but I still get some not so great locations. I also had some pretty amazing locations early on and I kick myself now knowing what it could have been. It's all about seeing the potential of a place and maximizing that.

Here is an image from a wedding I shot in December. The bride was getting ready in a small room in the corner of the church. There were tables, chairs, clothes, makeup and everything else all over the place. My best chance for a shot was turning off all of the lights and having her stand by the window. It's not my favorite shot ever, but I'm proud of it knowing how the room looked...

Edited on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:09 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #16 · That was then, this is now...

Man I got pretty shredded by unblinkable (Jeff and/or Melanie Mansfield) on a family session that I posted here a long time ago. It was my first real family shoot and it stung but I really got challenged by it and have come a LOONG way since then. Looking back it is definitely not work that I would want to be affiliated with my name today!

brad

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:29 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #17 · That was then, this is now...

I don't think I've changed much. And if I did I feel like I tend to stick more to working formula's rather going for drastic/artistic images like I did when I was starting out. When I got into photography it wasn't a thing to me. I didn't take photos with the intention of taking better photos. I just started taking pictures to remember things. I was then able to parlay this inclination into a career as a photojournalist.

2006, Leica M7, Voigtlander 40mm f1.4, HP5 film

2013, Leica M9, Leica 35mm f2.0, HP5 via VSCO 01

2007, Leica M8, Voigtlander 35mm f1.2

2012, Leica M9, Leica 35mm f2.0

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:38 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #18 · That was then, this is now...

swoop wrote:
I don't think I've changed much. And if I did I feel like I tend to stick more to working formula's rather going for drastic/artistic images like I did when I was starting out. When I got into photography it wasn't a thing to me. I didn't take photos with the intention of taking better photos. I just started taking pictures to remember things. I was then able to parlay this inclination into a career as a photojournalist.

http://www.kmnyc.com/pics/change1.jpg
2006, Leica M7, Voigtlander 40mm f1.4, HP5 film

http://www.kmnyc.com/pics/change2.jpg
2013, Leica M9, Leica 35mm f2.0, HP5 via VSCO 01

http://www.kmnyc.com/pics/change3.jpg
2007, Leica M8, Voigtlander 35mm f1.2

http://www.kmnyc.com/pics/change4.jpg
2012, Leica
...Show more

Can we trade cameras?

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #19 · That was then, this is now...

Oh you want to play that game? First dance pictures - then vs. now.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #20 · That was then, this is now...

Inku Yo wrote:
Oh you want to play that game? First dance pictures - then vs. now.

http://www.inkuphoto.com/personal/images/fm/thenandnow.jpg

The old one had great symmetry though!

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password