FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Yosemite under a full moon

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite under a full moon

I was amazed by the lack of photographers shooting under the full moon. I mean I am no Yosemite expert, but how often is there some snow on the ground, a full moon and it clear? So I took advantage of this (I hope)

First time really shooting at night - I had the dinosaur 1Ds for several years, and that is not ideal for night shots. This was taken with the D700 + Samyang 14mm .. not a bad lens AT ALL.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kGtga5w7vjs/US5RoHiTmbI/AAAAAAAAHow/AOMbYVsI63A/s1600/yosemite-night-2.jpg

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite under a full moon

Hey Dustin,

Yeah, it's amazing actually anywhere you go, how few people stay up to shoot the moon or stars. We get spoiled here in FM because there seems to be a majority of us who do. But in general not many do. The exception would be when people are out to try and shoot a lunar rainbow off Yosemite Falls. Then you will see dozens of people out in the couple of good viewing locations shooting it.

You got a nice shot here. The 14mm is a very good lens, and of course, the D700 is a super lowlight camera.

Jim

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite under a full moon

Thanks Jim. The Horsetail Falls was wicked crazy, as they coned off like a 1/2 mile for parking on the road heading both ways! They even had park rangers stopping people and asking if they were looking for parking.. Needless to say, I didn't shoot it

I did find out that there was a pretty sweet spot that I missed out on to shoot sunset. A guy that was down here doing time lapses told me that Valley View is a great vantage looking over the valley...

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:16 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite under a full moon

Hey Dustin,

Yeah the parking sounds crazy for Horsetail Falls, but that's just in the weekends from what I saw, during the week it wasn't that bad.

As to Valley View or what most of us call it, the Gates of the Valley, is a very sweet location. All in all, one of my favorite locations. Check out my recent post on an Arch in Yosemite Valley, that's taken from that location.

Jim

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite under a full moon

Very well done, I like it a lot. I tried a moonlit shot last night but with a full moon, I guess you need to forget about lots of stars and work on it like a regular landscape as you did here. Good work.

I used a 16-35 f2.8 but might have been better off with my Samyang 14 which is sharper wide open.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.