Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

It was only a matter of time...

Unboxing the Leica M

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative wrote:

Unboxing the Leica M

Damn, they now sell it in a box with drawers. And the battery comes in its own small bag. Cheap ass M9 box..

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:16 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I know, right? I was half expecting one of those plush Noctilux-like boxes with black velvet.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative wrote:

Unboxing the Leica M

Wow, that's some serious video and lighting skills there. Is this typical of M users?

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:25 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Ouch, .

Give him a break - now that he's got an M he can surely make Kubrick masterpieces.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative wrote:
Ouch, .

Give him a break - now that he's got an M he can surely make Kubrick masterpieces.

Yeah, I know. Low blow. The M users I know around here - and in general - are some of the best photographers around But that video - I just don't know how it could be worse.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:42 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

All in good fun. I recognize you from POTN, no?

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative wrote:
All in good fun. I recognize you from POTN, no?

Nope, I don't think that's me.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:48 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, I know. Low blow. The M users I know around here - and in general - are some of the best photographers around But that video - I just don't know how it could be worse.

Both the box and the camera could've been out of the frame for most of the video, instead of just the camera.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

If the M were used to film its own unboxing... Is it then self aware?

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:42 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

If anyone cares, I'll be posting Updates on M and Accessories

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:06 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Lots of updates over the weekend and today.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:29 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

telyt wrote:
My R lenses don't have focus shift issues, and the R matte viewscreens are responsive enough and accurate enough for active birds.

or a weasel running toward the camera

Can focus peaking in an EVF keep up with these subjects?

yes, unless that falcon was in a stoop straight at you in which case i doubt even you would be able to see the difference between almost accurate focus and dead on focus no matter what the viewfinder was. obviously not all focus peaking/evfs are created equal. i've not heard much about how this one will compare to the sony ones i've used.

the problems with accuracy of peaking come primarily from super speed lenses wide open where spherical aberration confuses the focus plane and from stopped down wide angles where nearly everything is close to in focus (thus causing everything to peak). i don't think either of these issues would be much of a problem for you in most of your shooting. i find peaking to be quite accurate using telephoto lenses. it is not as enjoyable a feeling though as looking through a nice ground glass screen and you have to train your eyes to look for different focus cues.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:07 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

if peaking doesn't solve the issue of placement of the plane of best focus for wide angles what is the point, exactly?

at least with the M you can switch between applications where peaking is more useful and situations where the RF is better.

and even as a TTL hater I will admit fine repeating patterns can be kind of a ***** to focus on an RF.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

redisburning wrote:
if peaking doesn't solve the issue of placement of the plane of best focus for wide angles what is the point, exactly?

it's good at large to medium apertures off center (and on center too obviously). it's just not good for shooting landscape type stuff at hyperfocalish aperture/focus distances.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:28 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

yeah my wording was a little harsh, sorry.

I had figured that peaking had solved the issue of manually focusing wides through the lens; which is of course one of the big advantages of the RF set-up.

the spirit of my point is that I don't see it being a superior solution to an SLR if it doesnt solve that problem. is this the crux of it or is there some subtlety that I am missing?

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:59 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

redisburning wrote:
yeah my wording was a little harsh, sorry.

I had figured that peaking had solved the issue of manually focusing wides through the lens; which is of course one of the big advantages of the RF set-up.

the spirit of my point is that I don't see it being a superior solution to an SLR if it doesnt solve that problem. is this the crux of it or is there some subtlety that I am missing?

peaking is much better for shooting people with a wide angle lens than a dslr focus screen not quite as good as a rangefinder in the center but much better if your subject is moving and/or off center. liveview magnification (with scrolling!) is much better than anything for shooting wide angle landscapes. so i would say a good evf is better than a dslr in every way for focusing wide angle lenses. it's' only better than a rangefinder in some situations (most for me, but everybody shoots differently).

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:17 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password