Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Seattle from the air

hokudan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Seattle from the air

Hi all,

I took this photo a couple of years ago on a Kenmore Air flight from Olympia up to Seattle. I've made a couple of attempts the last couple of years to see if I can 'finish' this one, but haven't found any final processing that I'm happy with. It just feels flat, lacking pop. The shot itself was taken early afternoon in the summer, so the sky, while clear and beautiful, provided extremely flat light.

I would be very happy with any suggestions that you all might have on how to improve this shot.

Thank you for your time.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Seattle from the air

Took a stab at it ...

Mostly some multiply and selective sharpening. Likely better if working from original, but gives a clue at possibilities. I think the challenging part is how "busy" the foreground is. You might want to hold back on the sharpening (i.e. selective) some to keep from enhancing that. I've also cropped it some as an offset to reduce the weighting of the foreground. Trying to bring out the skyline is another challenge that is probably better suited to work from the raw also. It could take some work, but if you've got the detail it'd be worth it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:14 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Seattle from the air

It can be improved, but to counter the haze and color issues to add drama would require selections to change exposure and gamma and color balance in zones. Also zone selections to bump mid-tone contrast and sharpen.

Kent's addition of a multiply blended duplicate layer with an opacity reduction would be a good place to start from the full image and proceed from there.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:52 PM
hokudan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Seattle from the air

Thank you both for your suggestions. I think that I was struggling to figure out how to bring out the skyline. Thank you RustyBug for your take on it. I'll have to brush up on my PS skills and figure out how to make it come more alive.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password