Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tiling to make very large prints

Thomaspin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Tiling to make very large prints

I wrote a piece about my experience with this technique here.

My site is strictly not for profit.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Tiling to make very large prints

cool! Thanks for sharing. In the sample photo, the vertical line was very visible...was that by design or is that the best it gets?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #3 · Tiling to make very large prints

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this. I have many 20x30 prints hanging on my walls made from four 13x19 prints from my old retired 1270 printer. I found matte paper worked very well for hiding the seams. I "painted" the edges with colored pens to roughly match the colors of the joining surfaces. I put them in 30x40 metal frames with 8-ply mats. The seams have never been discovered other than by other photog friends. And that was only because I left a border of white paper around the prints. With my 3880 I only need to make 2 prints.

This is a real craft project but the results can be amazing.

Sal

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Tiling to make very large prints

I've been wanting to do this for a while, especially after i saw it on the episode of "House of cards" where the guy prints a HUGE multi-print potrait shot i think 5 rows x 3 columns and it was just a picture of a face.

What app would work best to break a print up like that?

I'm interested in making this one huge

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:41 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · Tiling to make very large prints

Sunny Sra wrote:
I've been wanting to do this for a while, especially after i saw it on the episode of "House of cards" where the guy prints a HUGE multi-print potrait shot i think 5 rows x 3 columns and it was just a picture of a face.

What app would work best to break a print up like that?

I'm interested in making this one huge
http://www.sunnysra.com/Landscapes/Southwest-US-1/i-Sjn74n2/0/X2/11-11-11-Death-Valley-Salt-Flats-Sunrise-wide-Telescope-peak-X2.jpg

With all due respect, and a bit off topic, that image is quite tilted. Nothing that can't be fixed in 30 seconds in LR

Lovely image by the way.

Thomas, thanks for the tutorial, most interesting

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #6 · Tiling to make very large prints

I simply use Photoshop. Create the image to the final size, crop the image into an appropriate number of sections and print the seperate parts. I leave overlap between the sections, register pieces together, then cut through the overlap with a rotary trimmer. Now these can be fitted together seamlessly and attached on the back side.

Sal

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Tiling to make very large prints

Guari wrote:
With all due respect, and a bit off topic, that image is quite tilted. Nothing that can't be fixed in 30 seconds in LR

Lovely image by the way.

Thomas, thanks for the tutorial, most interesting

Its 3 17mm shots using the 17 TSE stitched...what tilt would you fix? oh you mean the slope of badwater playa...then you'll tilt the mountain. the camera/lens were perfectly level (using in camera level tool thingie and external level)

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guari
• • •
p.1 #8 · Tiling to make very large prints

Sunny Sra wrote:
Its 3 17mm shots using the 17 TSE stitched...what tilt would you fix? oh you mean the slope of badwater playa...then you'll tilt the mountain. the camera/lens were perfectly level (using in camera level tool thingie and external level)

My bad then

It gives the impression of tilt, I had no idea that that is the way it really is..

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:27 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Tiling to make very large prints

It would still look better with the black "horizon" line level. No one would notice any tilt in the top of the mountain.

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:06 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · Tiling to make very large prints

Very strange...I have spent the last couple of hours first googling to see how to do this...then painstakingly working it out for myself with CS6; which fortunately I managed. Then I log on here and see this!!

I have just done a test using four A4 prints to make an A2 and allowing for the fact it was a rush job with plain paper I think the results (when done with care) will be good. Tomorrow I am going to work on a print that I shall print out as four A3s on my R2880.

My technique (in case anyone is interested) is, in a nutshell, to use the 'slice' options to exactly divide my final image into four, then copy each section and create a new image. This stage took about 5 minutes. This gives the four separate prints. I worked on the sizes and resolution so that I could get crop marks on the white borders I had left for this purpose.

I intend doing a little more experimentation before making the final print.....I am conscious of the amount of money that will be wasted if it goes wrong!

PS: I went to the Ansel Adams exhibition in London earlier in the week......on display were three wall size prints.

Reading the notes, it seemed Adams had a period when he wanted big prints...and he achieved it by tiling. Crudely in my opinion.....the joints were pretty obvious in places. But He did have to create the prints by projecting the image on a sheet of printing paper fixed to a wall to get the necessary enlargement; and having done that myself back in the 80s.....doing this with a computer and inkjet is a lot lot easier!!

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:38 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Tiling to make very large prints

What is new? I have been doing this tiling for years. On the ceiling of my guest-room, there is a giant image of the Colorado Aspens that I took lying on my back. In the wine room there is a picture that covers the whole wall: Grapes, what else?
I have been enjoying doing this thing for years.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:34 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Tiling to make very large prints

nugeny wrote:
What is new? I have been doing this tiling for years. On the ceiling of my guest-room, there is a giant image of the Colorado Aspens that I took lying on my back. In the wine room there is a picture that covers the whole wall: Grapes, what else?
I have been enjoying doing this thing for years.

+1

I have 4 in my home. The tiles range in size from 11x14 to 20x30 and are either 3 large tiles of 6 smaller tiles.

A great cost effective way to print huge.

greg

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:03 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Tiling to make very large prints

Hmm... this is a basin that collects water and as presented would suggest the water never evaporated there but someplace to the left.
Bubble levels and in camera electronic levels can be off. I suspect that might be what's at play here.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Laure Gwynn

p.1 #14 · Tiling to make very large prints

Hello Thomaspin,
Thanks for sharing; I also had a large canvas printed recently at http://www.magnipic.com/enlarge-photo-to-canvas.
Take a look at their portfolio; you will be fascinated by their quality of work.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password