FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8              11       12       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I once sent in an F6 that was practically brand new to have a depth of field button replaced. I received an estimate then a few days later I received a new estimate because of impact damage. I asked them to send me a photo. It showed the prism area with a big crack on the body which was not there before. I was really pissed but could do nothing about it. I think these bozos are mishandling the gear and then they try to blame us for it.

Here is the photo they sent me

http://nikonimages.com/gallery/4/med_U4I1388560886.SEQ.1.jpg

http://nikonimages.com/gallery/4/med_U4I1388560883.SEQ.0.jpg

And here is their letter

This email is in regards to the service of the Nikon F6, serial number ***** and service order *****. I believe additional information provided in this email along with images of the condition the camera was received in will be very helpful in answering your questions.

An estimate to repair this camera was provided as non-warranty damage was found. As the provided pictures show, and it is attached here for reference, the camera's top cover is cracked. Something significant occurred at least one time to result in this damage. As this damage is not covered by our warranty, we provided an estimate for the required repairs. Nikon does not attempt to assess blame for such damage. We can only note that it occurred and let you know what we see

If you wish to approve the service estimate, we are able to repair the camera. You may approve via our 800-number, 800-645-6678 and select option 4, or through our website at www.nikonusa.com/service.

Please find pictures of the damage to your camera attached. I believe these images along with the information in this email will answer your questions pertaining to this service estimate.

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:59 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I once sent in an F6 that was practically brand new to have a depth of field button replaced. I received an estimate then a few days later I received a new estimate because of impact damage. I asked them to send me a photo. It showed the prism area with a big crack on the body which was not there before. I was really pissed but could do nothing about it. I think these bozos are mishandling the gear and then they try to blame us for it.

And here is their letter

This
...Show more

That really stinks. Or else you never noticed this.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:35 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I pamper my gear and I adjust the dioptor regularly. I would have noticed that.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jorge Torralba wrote:

And here is their letter

This
...Show more

I'll bet it was damaged in shipping - I'll bet it happens more than people think.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:56 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I am so disgusted to read a thread like this about Nikon QC and the repair issues that Nikon users are having. About six years ago, a friend had his 80-200 (push-pull) repaired. It had locked up. He paid the price for the repair. Then, thirty days after got had it back it locked up. Impact damage was the report. He said he did not do anything "mean" to the lens that would make it stop working again. Perhaps, he set his camera bag down too hard. I paid for that repair because, in the meantime, he had bought a 70-200 VR1. I quickly sold the push-pull version to a different friend who wanted it and he still uses it. (It was too big for me and it had no tripod socket). I recall the 18-70 kit lens for the D70 would "lock up" after lots of use and need repair because of the plastic innards. And, I recall the D70 problems, where it would not work at all. Nikon fixed that at no charge. Maybe the time frames that I talk about are different but the term "impact damage" has been thrown around for a while now and is not just a recent thing. Does Nikon think I would now spend my money, on a new Nikon Df, D610 or D800E? No way, Jose. I will be looking elsewhere. If their current products do not "hold up" what is the point in purchasing them? I might go back to film entirely. However, I will say, that one of my Nikon D300 bodies with 24mm F2.8AFD lens attached, slipped off my shoulder, onto a table and then onto a wooden floor. No damage.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:59 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I'm getting ready to send my F6 in for a CLA. Moral of your story, Jorge, is to take multiple pics of camera body before sending in to Nikon, send in with pics attached, and then let them argue "impact damage." F'g AH's.

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:29 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

anthonysemone wrote:
I'm getting ready to send my F6 in for a CLA. Moral of your story, Jorge, is to take multiple pics of camera body before sending in to Nikon, send in with pics attached, and then let them argue "impact damage." F'g AH's.

I was just going to suggest that. Good advise for anyone sending in items for repair. I would show it next to the box being shipped in with label and all the padding you can imagine.

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

if they indicate "impact damage" that means there is a way to indicate/measure it. that means there is a way to prove it either by demonstrable measurement via tooling that can be imaged to prove.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jorge Torralba wrote:

And here is their letter

This
...Show more

here in lies one of the issues of Mg alloy being used as a top or bottom material. it is light. it is stiff. it is more to crack then to dent.

Edited on Jan 01, 2014 at 06:13 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:08 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Probably need to invoke the FOIA to get hold of the data produced by that tooling.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:10 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

sjms wrote:
if they indicate "impact damage" that means there is a way to indicate/measure it. that means there is a way to prove it either by demonstrable measurement via tooling that can be imaged to prove.

I call BS. If they say "impact damage" a lot of times that means they are trying to get the customer to pay for their shop labour and parts. There will obviously be a time when it is legit, but it is far too common!

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:16 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

anthonysemone wrote:

That is exactly what I do now. Cover my a**

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

and also the way you packed it.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Hardcore wrote:
I call BS. If they say "impact damage" a lot of times that means they are trying to get the customer to pay for their shop labour and parts. There will obviously be a time when it is legit, but it is far too common!

is this their approach at Nikon Canada?

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jorge Torralba wrote:

And here is their letter

This
...Show more

the roof and front on the F6 is Mg allow while the body core and back is aluminum.
one of the reasons i'm not too impressed with Mg alloy. very light. very stiff. very thin. will crack long before it will divot.

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:04 PM
Hulot
• •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

sjms wrote:

Apple used water sensitive color pads in Iphones and under apple keyboards until it was proven that they were also sensitive to simple humidity and sweat. Only meaning to say that some brands like to avoid warranty repairs

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

yep, well aware of that. I agree.

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:40 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Hulot wrote:
Apple used water sensitive color pads in Iphones and under apple keyboards until it was proven that they were also sensitive to simple humidity and sweat. Only meaning to say that some brands like to avoid warranty repairs

This has been common practice from many electronics manufacturers, well before Apple made it "Big" with the introduction of their iPhone. (Like the hunk of junk Motorola V551 that I went through 5 copies of in a year, before giving up and switching carriers to get a dependable phone)

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:11 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Well I got a response back from Nikon today. Unfortunately the store where I bought everything is in the middle right now. I feel bad for her.

Nikon:
"For the body they are saying that the aperture lever has been bent down, but they have agreed to lower the estimate, but it is possible that once the body is internally inspected by a technician they may find the frame will be bent and the camera will be beyond repair.

Regarding the lens, our Nikon rep said the lens mount has a major bend in it, he says he's never really seen one so bad. But again, they will agree to lower the estimate from full impact pricing.

The new estimates are as follows;
Body - $391.61
Lens - $609.36

Please note that these estimates are pending approval and then internal inspection by the technicians. Once they open everything up, there could be additional damage, and in that case the full impact pricing will be applied, with your approval of course. "

Photos of camera and lens:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/matt_calgary/MS1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/matt_calgary/referenceunit.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/matt_calgary/MSLens.jpg

----

And my response:

Thanks for the photos. I've never had any aperture problems on any of my others lenses. The 80-400 would sometimes go to F/0, I'd have to pull the battery and wait a few seconds, and then it'd be fine for a few days. But when I cleaned the contacts the problem went away. Given how much dust and sand I had over three months in Africa, I didn't really think it was a problem. I mean there's dust in the lens already.

I still don't understand how all this affects the AF system and the focus chatter on AF-C that I described. All my other lenses work fine. Any bayonet "damages" are not why I sent this in at all because I never had a problem with any other lenses!

I would like the tech to specifically indicate how this would fix my focus chatter problem, on the lens. It was a problem from the get-go when I took it home - it's something wrong with the lens, I know it is. It's like it has a hard time deciding on a specific point and fluctuates back and forth ever so slightly. I only sent in my camera because I wanted it calibrated to the lens since I couldn't adjust it enough on the fine-tune. The fact I'm not alone on this issue and others on the photography forums have been able to describe exactly my same problem is not just a coincidence they all have "damaged bayonets." The bayonet likely has lots of wear and tear from mounting and unmounting the 80-400 and 16-35 so much in the field. I know the TC14e had trouble dismounting one time and I had to turn it with a lot of force to get it off, which is probably why that lever is slightly bent. But again I've never had aperture issues with any of my other lenses, and I have a lot. That hardly seems coincidental to me.

However, if this bent lever and mangled bayonet will fix things then I'd be willing to pay their fee, on only the camera.

There is absolutely zero percent chance that 80-400 lens has ever seen anything close to impact damage and it absolutely infuriates me that they're claiming that's the case, especially at a whopping $600!

How was it decided that they'd suddenly decrease the price? Like what was it based off of initially and now it's less? Something just does not seem right to me here.

I'm very sorry you've had to read through this Teri as this has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the Vancouver Nikon service center, so again I'm sorry. But there is 100% something wrong with that lens from the factory and there is no way I'm paying for their QC problems.

----
Their reply:
Essentially Nikon is standing firm on their assertion that there must have been an impact big enough to bend the metal, they think the impact could have damaged other parts of the camera/lens internally. But they will not know unless the estimate is approved and the equipment is taken apart and inspected for damage.
It sounds like a bit of an impasse, would you like me to have Nikon ship the equipment back so that you can deal with them directly?

----
My response:

If the bayonet and aperture lever are damaged, that was probably my doing trying to deal with the TC14 that didn't want to come off for some reason (which I'm still confused about), that's probably my fault. I just don't get how they're saying the lens is damaged, it's absolutely appalling.

If I do approve the lens as well, will we be able to thoroughly test it in the store before I take it home? My hugest fear is that I give in to these guys and say to "repair" the lens, and then I take it home and it's actually not fixed at all, get it sent in again only to be told it's from impact damage! I'm at an impasse as well. I really don't know what to do here because I don't have much use for a mis-focusing $2,700 lens. If they're not going to fix it under warranty, what other option do I have?

I could send in my entire arsenal of gear and be told they all suffer from impact damage at this rate.

Before I say yes or no to the body or the lens, I would like a write-up from the technician explaining how EXACTLY the impact caused the AF system to malfunction, which parts were affected and how, and to explain how the malfunction of focus chatter on AF-C with stationary objects is only affected by this one lens. I would also like photos of the impact site with some form of indicator to the exact site in question.

Once I have these, I will approve Nikon to start service. If they cannot, I want their supervisor to call me.

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:32 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I've been down that road. Its ridiculous. They wouldn't budge. Do what I did and be shady back to them. Decline the offer. Get the email saying you declined. Call and accept the repair. Once you get your gear back call your CC for fraud charges. Unfortunately that's what I was forced to do. This impact damage is bull. I'm actually getting upset remembering it.

Edited on Jan 13, 2014 at 05:44 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2014 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.